Did Tuneboy just brick by Streetfighter ECU? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Schtirlitz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Did Tuneboy just brick by Streetfighter ECU?

So i just recently got Tuneboy software and after some searching i was able to get that USB to Serial Com connection working (needed some drivers for that, since Win 10 doesn't have that support out of the box), but now i think I've successfully bricked my Streetfighter while trying to "download" a map onto my ECU. Long story short..

Flashing the ECU with FlashMarelli seems to fail every time. On the first try the flash process bar ran all the way to the end, and then seemingly froze and and didn't show any signs of life for about 2.5 hours. From there, i canceled the process, which invoked the "Recover ECU from Failed download". In the recovery mode it would not progress farther than 10 - 15% and would freeze again. I tried the recovery mode at least 20-30 times, with similar results, except once when it did the same thing as on the first try (ran to the end and froze).

Tired different maps - same results. Tried a backup that i created with DucatiRead, again same thing.

I emailed Tuneboy support, but they are not exactly famous for good customer care. So i was wondering if anyone else had similar experience and what was the solution.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1560039153546blob.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	945397  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 10:32 pm

See the part in bold. You must download the latest of these or it won't work ...

No idea if this will help you, but here are my personal notes from my latest TuneBoy adventure. It might be easier to launch an ICBM. Actually, come to think of it, I'm certain it's easier to launch an ICBM. If I ever get another bike, I doubt I'll have the stamina to install TuneBoy on it. Too much work.

> Remember this software is fickle so it may take a couple of different tries, unplugging this or that in a different order, but eventually you always get there. See your YouTube bookmark.

> If doing first or lengthy install, pull the headlight light fuse to save the battery. It’s the 1st one in row closest to front of bike on my 2012 MTS.

> Notes for upgrading to latest TuneBoy software and Tune/Maps and Trim …
> Under Section 4 - Installing The First Map of the TuneBoy Mitsubishi Documentation instructions, you essentially skip steps 7 - 21 because you did those in setting up your earlier version.
> Under Downloads on the TuneBoy website, download the latest …
1. TuneBoy software version (becomes FlashMitsubishi and TuneBoy Trim),
2. WB01_Update file (becomes WB01 Find) and
3. Tune/Map folder. You use MTS1200_2010_to_12_CruiseAndTune_V6_7dTune.dat.
4. Trim folder. You use MTS1200_Gen1_QD_WithDBKillers_V6.TRM.

> Transfer to laptop with memory stick.
> Connect the WB01 WiFi Box’s USB cable to the laptop to power up the WB01. Do NOT connect the WB01 to the bike at this point.
> Right click on the WB01 Find icon and run as Administrator.
> Connect the WB01 to the bike.
> Turn on ignition. Do not start bike.
> Disconnect WB01 WiFi Box’s USB cable from the laptop if you want to use WiFi which is safer. The USB cable causes interference with the WiFi. You will damage the laptop if you inadvertently start the bike and the USB cable is still connected.
> Right click on the FlashMitsubishi icon and run as Administrator. Select the latest Tune/Map you downloaded. Select the latest Trim that you downloaded (or created in TuneBoyTrim and saved that you will never do.) Choose Reflash ECU. Exit.
> Turn ignition off. Wait 30 seconds. Turn ignition on. The latest Tune/Map and Trim should be loaded.

> Notes for using TuneBoyTrim to turn off the Service/Oil Indicators, install Quick Shifter, add Trim Files, etc …
> Connect the WB01 to the bike.
> Turn on ignition. Do NOT start bike.
> Disconnect WB01 WiFi Box’s USB cable from the laptop if you want to use WiFi which is safer. The USB cable causes interference with the WiFi. You will damage the laptop if you inadvertently start the bike and the USB cable is still connected.
> To turn off the Service/Oil Indicator, right click the TuneBoyTrim icon and run as Administrator.
> If in lower left “Reading ECU” gets stalled or you get “Serial port Error”, disconnect the WB01 and start again. You want to see “Get Running Data” in lower left.
> Follow the TuneBoy Mitsubishi Documentation instructions from here.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Damascus

Thank you! Unfortunately your solutions seem to be for the Mutsu ECU for Panigale or Multistranda... I am dealing with the Magnetti Marelli ECU, which is quite a bit different, including Flash Software, process, etc. But thank you nevertheless
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtirlitz View Post
So i just recently got Tuneboy software and after some searching i was able to get that USB to Serial Com connection working (needed some drivers for that, since Win 10 doesn't have that support out of the box), but now i think I've successfully bricked my Streetfighter while trying to "download" a map onto my ECU. Long story short..

Flashing the ECU with FlashMarelli seems to fail every time. On the first try the flash process bar ran all the way to the end, and then seemingly froze and and didn't show any signs of life for about 2.5 hours. From there, i canceled the process, which invoked the "Recover ECU from Failed download". In the recovery mode it would not progress farther than 10 - 15% and would freeze again. I tried the recovery mode at least 20-30 times, with similar results, except once when it did the same thing as on the first try (ran to the end and froze).
Here is a quick update. The good part is i was finally able to load my backup tune back to my ECU. In the process I've learned the following:

1. Flash Marelli will NOT run on Windows 10. Flash Marelli would start, but will freeze once it gets to the end of the flash process. Used friends laptop with Windows 8 and finally my backup tune loaded and restored my ECU. So we are good there.

2. Now the map that I was trying to load was my friend's custom Dyno Tune for a non-S Streetfighter. This tune file seem to be a problem or the map file is corrupted somehow. Even on Windows 8 machine it would fail to download to the ECU every time.

Sent the map that kept failing to Tuneboy in hopes that they could figure out what the issue there. At least my bike is running again, and i was even able to change the dash greeting message.

Cheers
ncgt1000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode