double-duty enclosed trailer - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

double-duty enclosed trailer

Hi everyone-
I just purchased a new 2019 SCAT Turf Tiger II zero-turn mower. Between my house and the soon-to-be-wife's place, we have about 7 acres of lawn/paddock to cut. Our long term plan is to buy a big piece of horse property down in NC in the next 7-8 years, and I think this mower will outlast me. Anyway, I need to buy a trailer to move this mower between properties. I was just going to look for an open 6x12, maybe in aluminum, but hen it occurred to me that I have always wanted an enclosed trailer to haul bikes, so was curious to hear from others if it might be possible to get an enclosed that serves as both my mower mover as well as trucking bikes (when needed). And if so, what size enclosed trailer would you suggest? I don';t think I would ever have more than 2 bikes in the trailer at any time.

I started down this path a few years ago, and was set on an aluminum-framed trailer for two reasons. 1. My understanding is that they last longer and (2) my tow vehicle was a 2003 Toyota Tacoma (V6) and I was being cognizant of keeping the payload as light as possible. I still have the Tacoma, but I also have 2018 Duramax, so pulling a heavy steel trailer won't be an issue, but is aluminum really a better choice (as long as finances permit). Do the steel ones really rot away the way that the trailer co. websites describe?

2013 Multistrada 1200 Pike's Peak
2012 Streetfighter S, 2001 ST4, 1992 900 SS

Last edited by racerboy; May 13th, 2019 at 6:25 pm. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 8:56 pm
Prolific Poster Award

The weight savings is significant. So is the difference in price. For a lawn tractor or two motorcycles a single axle is sufficient. I have had both double axle and single axle units, two different manufacturers. Both held up very well with normal cleaning and maintenance. I have a pickup with a V8, so weight wasnít a real big deal. The critical factor for you will be a ramp door width and width between wheel wells for the mower. A taller trailer will give you a longer ramp and make the mower easier to load. The big trailer sales places usually have the best prices. You may be able to get them to throw in a spare tire.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 9:36 pm

I have a single axle 6x12' aluminum Worthington and I use it for everything from bikes, giant scale model airplanes to the miserable lawn equipment. The rear door opens to form a giant ramp and getting bikes in and out could not be easier. The alum version isn't really that much lighter than the steel in this case, but it is more resistant to corrosion. Keep in mind that the usable width is somewhat skinnier than 6' so measure the wide stuff you intend to use it for first. A couple of tips would be to use flush mount hooks or floor mounting points as you will be tripping over anything else at the worst possible moment and to use large diameter washers for anything going through the floor so that they won't pull out. And all exposed hardware should be stainless - I have replaced some of the fasteners on mine with stainless. Also, the aft jack supports are both steel and kind of hokey so I would consider aftermarket stainless and more sturdy/useable units.

Yes, these things are expensive but I cannot believe I waited so long in my motorcycle career to own one. To think that I would roll bikes with expensive bodywork up on a waist high pickup truck bed singlehandedly now seems crazy.
ncgt1000 likes this.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 10:10 pm
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

You can absolutely use an enclosed trailer that works for your bikes and mower; just need some quick remove type wheel chocks and the options for those are plentiful depending upon your tie down system. I've hauled everything from vintage garden tractors, lawnmowers, a tree from a nursery once, to motorcycles in mine. You'll want a ramp door for sure and also trailer brakes. Yeah, these trailers are light weight but you'll regret them if you don't if you do a lot of long distance driving. Dual axle trailers do ride smoother and often track better too. I know many here are opposed to dual axles worrying about weight savings and their fuel mileage but if you want some payload capacity for other uses and or take it on longer trips, the dual axle is the way to go. Don't be afraid to get the larger model either because once you get it, you'll find more uses for it and be kicking yourself for not getting the next size up. I also own a diesel truck and I know that I'm going against the grain by saying this too but the MPG aspect is really not of a concern to me. Regarding build type, usually the aluminum on aluminum trailers is purely the body alone and the frame itself is steel, just an FYI. Not that it is a bad thing, but they often like to make you think you're getting a fully enclosed aluminum trailer when in reality it's just the body. There are open trailers out there that are fully aluminum but haven't seen too many enclosed that are including the frame. Most enclosed trailers are built very cheaply, corners were cut during production and build quality often suffers. Take a look at the roof on many and you'll see the seams were filled in with lap compound resembling that of a three-year old who did them blindfolded; they weren't really built to last or be be heavy duty by any means. If price is of a concern, you might look for a good pre-owned upper-end model- you really do get your money's worth when it comes to trailers. You might even find one that was used previously for motorcycle hauling that already includes some tie downs, etc. Good luck on your search.

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l Antigravity Battery l 190/55 Rear l

Last edited by Austen; May 14th, 2019 at 12:15 am.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 6:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. This mower is 62" wide with the discharge chute up and 73.5" wide with the chute down. I wonder of a 6.5 wide trailer is a better idea (do they make those?) or maybe a 7'. I will have to start looking around.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 6:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
I have a single axle 6x12' aluminum Worthington and I use it for everything from bikes, giant scale model airplanes to the miserable lawn equipment. The rear door opens to form a giant ramp and getting bikes in and out could not be easier. The alum version isn't really that much lighter than the steel in this case, but it is more resistant to corrosion. Keep in mind that the usable width is somewhat skinnier than 6' so measure the wide stuff you intend to use it for first. A couple of tips would be to use flush mount hooks or floor mounting points as you will be tripping over anything else at the worst possible moment and to use large diameter washers for anything going through the floor so that they won't pull out. And all exposed hardware should be stainless - I have replaced some of the fasteners on mine with stainless. Also, the aft jack supports are both steel and kind of hokey so I would consider aftermarket stainless and more sturdy/useable units.

Yes, these things are expensive but I cannot believe I waited so long in my motorcycle career to own one. To think that I would roll bikes with expensive bodywork up on a waist high pickup truck bed singlehandedly now seems crazy.
Thanks casor
I just Googled 'Worthington Trailers' and it looks like they are out of business. I'll look at some of the other manufacturers.

Is the V-nose important? I'm assuming that is to help with aerodynamics, plus it probably gives a little extra room up front.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 7:20 am
Prolific Poster Award

They make 7ft and 8ft wide models but that is axle, not box width. Measure the widest thing you will carry and measure door width and interior between wheel wells. Divide your clearance by two, because you need room on both sides. With a mower you donít have a lot of clearance under it so the taller trailer/ longer ramp is worth the little bit extra ( plus not bumping your head) The 8í wide models are hard to keep in your lane. I bought a 7í wide high boy and my big mower fits with only a couple of inches on each side, and it barely clears the angle at the door jamb. A v- nose gives you extra storage and is more aerodynamic if you get a tall model. My steel frame trailer is mostly aluminum anyway. I installed my own flush D rings and removable chocks. Chunks of 2x6 work fine on the tractor with a strap or two.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 7:58 am

Check out ProLine trailers in NH.
They custom build all aluminum trailers to suit. By the time you get a standard trailer set up the way you want it you will probably be within $500 of purchase price for a lesser trailer.
Family owned business. Check out their website, it will guide you through the process. They're quick with a quote response and great to deal with.
I purchased from them in May, a MOT 8012 vnose, set up for bikes and my construction business. Trailered 3 bikes to ECM X with ease.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 8:02 am

I have a 7x14 Wells Cargo V nose tandem axle that I use primarily for my bike but I’ve also used it to haul my 60” deck Dixie Chopper ztr. You definitely will need a 7’ wide trailer for deck clearance and I highly recommend a V nose as it makes a huge difference in how it tows and the extra storage in the V area comes in handy. I used Baxley Sport Chocks (removable) and floor mounted D-rings to secure the bike and also have E-track for additional tie down points as well as securing gas cans, EZ up canopies, etc. My trailer is steel framed and it’s 10 years old and no rust issues. It’s heavier than my buddy’s Featherlite all aluminum trailer but I have no problems pulling it with my 2010 Ford Supercrew with a 5.4L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6ED1B09D-9834-42F4-AB53-147AF5C65068.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	943303   Click image for larger version

Name:	2DE13EE2-7AE9-4D1D-B807-E8042D385D51.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	943305  

John Heurtevant
Current: 2011 Multistrada 1200 base (non ABS). Sold: '07 1098S & '99 996 Mono
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnmon View Post
Check out ProLine trailers in NH.
They custom build all aluminum trailers to suit. By the time you get a standard trailer set up the way you want it you will probably be within $500 of purchase price for a lesser trailer.
Family owned business. Check out their website, it will guide you through the process. They're quick with a quote response and great to deal with.
I purchased from them in May, a MOT 8012 vnose, set up for bikes and my construction business. Trailered 3 bikes to ECM X with ease.
So I followed this advice,and now I'm the owner of a MOT 8014 vnose. It is all aluminum, has the tandem axles, high ceilings, transition flap on the door to make the ramp a little longer. I just have to find some time to drive up to NH to get it now.

Appreciate all the feedback I got here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOT8014-2019-211-02.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	943319  
Stick, ncgt1000, jheurte and 1 others like this.

Last edited by racerboy; May 14th, 2019 at 2:02 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in