So, if The Future is Electric, Where do we go now? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2019, 6:46 am Thread Starter

So, if The Future is Electric, Where do we go now?

Not sure if this falls in scope with the similarly titled thread, so here's a new one!

I too have been pondering this eBike eventuality for a few years, half loathing, half anticipating the actualization of such a machination. I remember sitting on Honda's prototype thinking 'Where's my clutch? My gears? The roar and rattle of the thing I so adore? There's FIRE in there dammit!!, it's supposed to be hot!' Then, I unleashed a Homer Simpson-esque wail of subjugation.

Then again, one test report I read stated something along the lines of 'it felt like the hand of god was pushing me along the road'. Or something such. That sounds kinda fun! Like flying without all the baggage.

Unsurprisingly, I cling to all my Bevels, but I do have a couple Belts in the garage too. Hhmm. Perhaps there is some room for... wires(?). That new eDuke certainly looks cool. And it won't run outta gas will it!

Of the potential offerings manufacturers have(that I have seen at least), they all seem to be direct challenge to litre bikes; the biggest, the fastest, et al. This makes sense of course, its gotta be better than the best, or its no good. A technological regression if you will. The Twin killed the Single, and Ducati didn't look back.

My question; is this then, also the death of the sub-litre motorcycle? Assuming we still refer to it as a motorcycle. What will the new classes(if any) be like?

Certainly not a displacement-based dinosaur. Maybe KW? HP? A or AAA battery size?

What do you think?

2004 S4R
1980 350 Vento
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2019, 7:58 am
Prolific Poster Award

No vroom vroom, no sale. Thatís what I think. It will be an appliance. If itís really fast it will be like a carnival ride. I canít see it being practical without a usable range. I will look at electric motorcycles with sadness and disdain. Itís like those little shitbox turbo cars. Sure theyíre fast, but theyíre still a little shitbox. Nothing you can do will make them not a shitbox. So it shall be with electric bikes.
ian996 likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 8:43 pm
I yam what I yam

Location: Where there's no law, north of the Klamath, CA, USA
What do I think?

I think you should reserve judgement until you’ve ridden one.

When I give my Zero a workout in the twisties, I can hear the tires working on the asphalt!

Also, 116 lb*ft of torque, RIGHT NOW!

(BTW that electric Duc causing all the stir here is powered by Zero.)
BlueDuc$ likes this.

Michael
Ď01 VFR800FI, Ď03 DR-Z400, Ď17 Zero SR

Last edited by Spensersdad; Apr 1st, 2019 at 8:57 pm.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 9:29 pm

Torque is good!
I have had that idea, that it is like the hand of God pushing you forward.
Urgently.
Kalyx likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to ride one!
Spensersdad, how is the Zero SR??

2004 S4R
1980 350 Vento
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 7:56 am
Come in Spinner :)

And I thought it was the power of magnets pulling you forward... silly me
Monster4Lee likes this.

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 8:45 am Thread Starter

All energy flows according to the whims of the great Magnet.

2004 S4R
1980 350 Vento
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx View Post
Of the potential offerings manufacturers have(that I have seen at least), they all seem to be direct challenge to litre bikes; the biggest, the fastest, et al. This makes sense of course, its gotta be better than the best, or its no good. A technological regression if you will. The Twin killed the Single, and Ducati didn't look back.
I don't really see the direct challenge to litre bikes.....?

Currently manufacturers of BIG engined bikes (and cars) are just squeezing the last few drops of milk from a dying cow, or if you will, cashing in before the big engine show is over, the game is up and they know it.

With the new ISA (Intelligent Speed Assistance) legislation coming into effect in 2022 in Europe there will just be no more need for big fast bikes (or cars), seriously, who is gonna spend $20k+ on a 200hp bike if said bike is forced by GPS to keep to the speed limit and records every move the rider makes on the black box underneath the seat.

Of course the legislators are doing this in the name of road safety but it also perfectly tracks the new green narrative, all those new greener smaller engines (forced to keep to speed limits) followed by more and more electrics is going to be so much cleaner......, they say.......

NO, I think we will just need to get use to it, the time of the (big) combustion engine is over, the only people still insisting on big gas burners are stubborn stupid consumers and the manufacturers that profit of off their stupidity.

That been said, the current lineup of new bikes on offer leaves very little to be desired, seems that every manufacturer has shares in the plastic recycling industry, now they are starting to add wings on everything with 2 wheels for g_d sakes, maybe they all copied some code from Boeing, big ass engines with small little wingies.....

I would love to buy a new bike but the more I Iook at it the more I think my next bike will be an electric, what besides showing of can I do with a 200hp 1000cc motorcycle anyway?
BlueDuc$ likes this.

Old Yellow SuperSport
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 8:18 pm

Quote:
if said bike is forced by GPS to keep to the speed limit and records every move the rider makes on the black box underneath the seat.
I don't want to live in that world.
If I was young I would probably be on the warpath against it. Die mofos die!
Regardless of the odds of winning.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 8:19 pm
I yam what I yam

Location: Where there's no law, north of the Klamath, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to ride one!
Spensersdad, how is the Zero SR??
My SR is fabulous! Very compact, about like a first gen. Suzuki SV650, nice upright riding position. Handling is very sharp, especially after climbing off the rangy Ducati. It is heavy for its size, but I only notice the weight when wheeling it around, or lifting it off of the side stand.

Top speed is limited to a little over 100 mph, so itís not fast, but itís very very quick. Iím pretty sure it would run away and hide from my ST3 or my VFR up to about 70 or 80.

Michael
Ď01 VFR800FI, Ď03 DR-Z400, Ď17 Zero SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode