So, if The Future is Electric, Where do we go now? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 2:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster4Lee View Post
I don't want to live in that world. If I was young I would probably be on the warpath against it.
I hear you, thing is the young generation is on a warpath for it, their future is social where transport is public and not private, we old people are just failing to connect the dots, whilst we loud all these new tech in transport we fail to realise that humans en masse will just not be allowed to share the same roads with autonomous vehicles, I think we are the last generation to experience the freedom of the open road on the backs of the last machines with any kind of soul.

“We’re developing a new citizenry. One that will be very selective about cereals and automobiles, but won’t be able to think.” Rod Serling
ncgt1000 likes this.

Old Yellow SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 7:00 am

Garage
I am not sure I am as bleak about the future as some, Most millenials I know who do ride trend more towards the vintage bikes as they are more about the culture and street cred than owning a electric scooter. Yes scooters are cool to some (mods vs rockers part 2) but some want to be motorcyclists who are more involved in what they are doing.

I see no problem with the electrics as there is room for new vehicles and I always like to try something different. Yes I own scooters and would consider these new electric scooters, they just will not replace my motorcycles.

There are some (maybe many) who just want to get on and ride without doing anything and that's fine but I see it as a stepping stone for those afraid to ride a more complex machine. To each his own , bring them on our future is bright.
Cowens726 likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 7:21 am
Prolific Poster Award

The tracking and recording is a whole other ball game, isn’t it ? They’ve been sneaking it into the vehicles for a while now,though if you’re carrying your phone you were already being traced anyway. OnStar, on board nav, Big Brother , all different terms for the same thing. Zoom in on your house from Google Earth and remind yourself how much better than that the government spy satellites are. Speed limited vehicles are becoming more inevitable every day. Enjoy it while you still have it , folks, because it will be gone in your lifetime.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 8:27 am

Garage
Lol yes they have tried the same thing in the past, remember the 85mph speedometers? because after 85 you really don't need to know .

There have been power limited unlockable upgrade bikes since the 80's IIRC in Japan. New bikes often have power restricted by the ecu and un locked for racing (just like swapping modes from rain to race). I think this is more about selling cheap upgrades to end users while only making one engine. Just business not evil plots.

I would imagine they will continue to unlock bikes for track use and yes you will find speed limits as soon as some can get it by with enough votes. Since the average street bike is capable of outrunning police it only makes seance to allow them to shut your bike off in a chase or restrict its speed to allow an easier catch. Nothing too hard to imagine if they decide to do it, maybe they will or will not who knows. As a gun owner I already find parallels with 200hp superbikes and scary black rifles, the public will simply be asked "who needs one of those?" The majority of riders will then say "not me!" and then they restrict power/speed.

But not all is lost as the youngsters are going to do what youngsters do and they will come up with high tech workarounds to hack the technology and before you know it your new electric scooter will be able to run at max power and speed with none the wiser. meanwhile the old duffers on Urals will still not be able to reach the legal speed limits because they are just to slow...
BlueDuc$ likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 5:34 pm

First the dry clutch, then the trellis frame,
then fly by wire, then the v4, now electric, what happened to the icon once everyone looked up to?
Will there be an R version of the zipper?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"](2007 S4Rs, 2004 MV Brutale, 2006 999R, 2007 1098S Tricolore, 2010 1198S Corse, 2010 SFS) SOLD, 2012 Multi PP (SOLD), 2006 999S, 2016 Multi PP
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 7:49 pm

They can still do upgraded suspension and whatnot for an R version, whether it is electric or gas.

To me, the ride by wire is transparent. It works the same as a cable throttle as far as I can feel and see. I'm OK with electric, I think, but the over regulation is what I don't like. Don't tread on me with your freaking laws.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 11:44 pm

Garage
Meh,....

But maybe this?

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Apr 3rd, 2019 at 11:56 pm.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Garage
The (urban, rent paying, public transit riding, mostly millennial) future is electric. And good for them, there is more than enough room on this big rock for people to live very different lifestyles. For those of us who don't live in a city core, electric vehicles, be they two wheeled or four, continue to make not much sense. In ideal conditions, the energy density of a lithium ion battery is about 15% that of gasoline. The colder it gets, the lower that number goes.

For motorcyclists, the limits imposed by batteries will further cement public perception that our vehicles are little more than toys, instead of the mode of transportation they should be seen as. That's not a future I'm eager to see, but it's probably where we're headed.
PhilBoncer likes this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Garage
People need to stop listening to this crazy A.O.C. woman--she is Bat $hit crazy, --I promise she sleeps upside down
ZADSS and rhein like this.

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 4:59 pm

^^^

It is only her lips moving, the speaking comes from a much greater power behind her, connect the dots...remember?

Old Yellow SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode