Pierre Terblanche - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Garage
Pierre Terblanche

I was poking around on the internet last nite and found Mr. Terblanche's website. There are nice photos of some cool bikes he designed, among them are Moto Guzzi projects I'd never seen before. Man, do I wish Ducati had made more of the Supermono! The link if anyone is interested: Pierre Terblanche // Designer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 11:46 am

Guzzi needs to hire Terblanche yesterday. Those concepts are very good (not sure about the unsprung weight on the red one though). I have been waiting for Moto Guzzi to rekindle its sporting heritage for more than 30 years and, to my eye, PT looks like the guy to do it for them.
John likes this.

HM1100S, 998Bip
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 12:08 pm

It's unfortunate the one time he went balls out wild, was with the most delicate design change in motorcycling history.

I like them more in retrospect, especially the Hypermotard. GEN1 looks AMAZING
Austen likes this.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Nobody needs to hire Terblanche. He is the Chris Bangle of motorcycles.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy16 View Post
I was poking around on the internet last nite and found Mr. Terblanche's website. There are nice photos of some cool bikes he designed, among them are Moto Guzzi projects I'd never seen before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1 View Post
Guzzi needs to hire Terblanche yesterday. Those concepts are very good (not sure about the unsprung weight on the red one though). I have been waiting for Moto Guzzi to rekindle its sporting heritage for more than 30 years and, to my eye, PT looks like the guy to do it for them.
Those Moto Guzzi Concepts were Terblanche's greatest disappointment of his career (he said that on an interview).

The man was allowed to work on crazy projects when in Ducati and take them to the shows (on those days Ducati made Sportbikes only). If public response was positive, Ducati would put money on those projects to produce the concept bikes. That is the reason why concepts like the MH900e and the 1st gen Hypermotard went into the production line. Terblanche was in Motorcycle Designer's Heaven without knowing it.

He left Ducati because he was given the burden of doing more management tasks and he wanted to focus on design. He left Ducati and went into Piaggio Group where his Pal Miguel Galuzzi had become Design Director. That's when he received green light to work on the MG concepts on his website portfolio.

Unfortunately, Piaggio Group's top executives had previously understood with the MGS-01 that there was no way of making a competitive power plant from MG's traditional engine configuration. So they decided that MG would be a retro styled brand and that Aprilia would be the Modern/High Performance brand.

When Terblanche's MG concepts were applauded by public and critics on their presentation show, he assumed that Piaggio would produce those bikes (As Ducati would have done). But Piaggio Group's executives just said "No", breaking Terblanche's heart and making him resign.

I am a big fan of Terblanche and feel sorry for him. His career has gone downhill since then.
His designs are controversial, but IMHO he is one of the all time greats.

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress

Last edited by egomexico; Mar 20th, 2018 at 3:22 pm. Reason: My bad english
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone have any info on that offshore powerboat he evidently designed. Man, does that look cool!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Garage
Epic. That first gen hyper 1000 sure does have a certain je ne sais quoi

2010 Hyper 796 w/ dual shorty Arrows, Rapidbike Evo & MWR Intake, 2004 XR250R, 2008 CRF150R-SM, 2005 TTR88SMR
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
Nobody needs to hire Terblanche. He is the Chris Bangle of motorcycles.

PhilB
When Pierre announced that he was going to go work for confederate motorcycles- I saw a comment along the lines of. "Great! Now he can only ruin 20 motorcycles a year!"

Lol
Dukerdr and PhilBoncer like this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2018, 4:27 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
It's kind of a rite of passage to beat up on PT here. And, I have certainly been one of those who have. Back in '98 I saw his version of the Supersport due to be sold in '99 and I ran to buy a new '97 SS/SP. However, over the years I have mellowed. I think PTs thinking was that he was going to develop a revolutionary design to replace the original 916 rather than evolve it. In my opinion that was a BIG mistake. He could have evolved it ala Porsche 911 but, no, he had to make a statement. In the end Tamburinni over at MV Agusta took the former approach. IMO his is a nicer design. Over the years I have come to like the 999 but it's no 998. As for the Supersport, PT basically took the Supermono design, tweaked it and created a street version. I've come to like that as well. So, for me, it's a mixed bag. What is sad to me was Ducati's attempt to go back in the direction of the 916 but ending up designing a new Yamaha R1 in the 1098 and now the new Supersport. As for the Multi....that was one of the uglier designs of the times IMO. Then again I'm just not a fan of the whole "Adventure bike" genre.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2018, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I think PT was really on to something with the 999, only most of us didn't know it (and didn't like it) when it first arrived. After reading Cathcart's book on the 999 and seeing the bike in person many times (each time "getting" it a little more), I've really come to appreciate what he did--a total redesign of an iconic bike from the inside-out, outside-in, and any other way possible. After thinking I was going to buy a 748 I decided I liked the look of the 749 better. The adjustability of the riding position was also a plus. A bonus turned out to be how much easier it is to work on. The **9 has aged extremely well as it was so far ahead of the curve. His original drawings were more beautiful than the production bike--some of his ideas either didn't translate well to production or were too expensive. Even if you don't particularly care for the designs of Terblanche, you gotta give the guy credit for what he did, IMO.
John and jcasella like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode