Pierre Terblanche - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2018, 9:01 am

Garage
In race trim the 999 remains one of the most attractive bikes ever.

But I am biased. They also fell completely different to ride that the Ducati Superbikes before or since. Very narrow and hard, the cliché of a feeling of being milled out of billet applies to the feel when riding. The stock seat is literally thin hard foam, but perfectly shaped. Clip-ons super narrow, it doesn't even feel like it was made by the same company as a Panigale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2018, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
In race trim the 999 remains one of the most attractive bikes ever.

But I am biased. They also fell completely different to ride that the Ducati Superbikes before or since. Very narrow and hard, the cliché of a feeling of being milled out of billet applies to the feel when riding. The stock seat is literally thin hard foam, but perfectly shaped. Clip-ons super narrow, it doesn't even feel like it was made by the same company as a Panigale.

Interesting take, I haven't owned a post 999 Superbike. But that is the 1 memory I have of it above the rest, that it felt made of 1 piece of metal. Every vibration and input was felt through the hands and ass in a very sharp and high frequency way. It was incredibly "tight" that when I rode a friends 05 R1 up in Big Sur it felt like a piece of garbage compared. So "loose" and "sloppy"..the 999 was by comparison a 1 ton razor blade.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2018, 8:29 am

Garage
Terblanche gets a lot of unwarranted hate but if you look at his resume just at Ducati you realize how many interesting machines he had a hand in styling.

851/888 restyle
ST2/4 series
SS series post '98 model year
MH900e
Hypermotard

Even after he left following the 999 sales disappointment, Ducati still had a difficult time following up the 916 with something fresh. The 1098 to my eye is more or less derivative of the 916. But perhaps a bigger reason for the increased sales of the 1098 over the 999 was the significant drop in MSRP (in the US at least). Going from the '06 999 price of $18k down to $15k for the new base model 1098 (with performance similar to the outgoing 999R that cost twice as much) probably had at least as much to do with it as styling.
RobertVP, dogrange and jcasella like this.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2018, 5:03 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
Terblanche gets a lot of unwarranted hate but if you look at his resume just at Ducati you realize how many interesting machines he had a hand in styling.

851/888 restyle
ST2/4 series
SS series post '98 model year
MH900e
Hypermotard
He also designed the Supermono from which he spun off the SS. He tried to revolutionize the 916 by designing the 999. IMO the better course would have been to evolve the 916 as Tamburini subsequently did with the MV F4. A good example might be the Porsche 911. The evolution of the original design is still thriving.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode