Pierre Terblanche - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2018, 1:59 am
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davy.j View Post
Youv'e obviously never ridden one a certainly don't own one.
They handle and stop like nothing else straight out the box.
Rossi won his first ever championship on a Mito
You are right! I have not ridden one.

My comment was not aimed to talk badly about the Mito's performance.

I was just stating that its design is too similar to a 916. So it doesn't feel like an additional design to me.
apriliacati likes this.

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2018, 6:12 pm
Come in Spinner :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egomexico View Post
You are right! I have not ridden one.

My comment was not aimed to talk badly about the Mito's performance.

I was just stating that its design is too similar to a 916. So it doesn't feel like an additional design to me.

I have yet to see a 916 with an alloy delta box frame or an banana shaped alloy swingarm.
Pity they didn't let him loose on the MotoGp bike back then, they would have cut years off the project.
egomexico likes this.

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy16 View Post
I think PT was really on to something with the 999, only most of us didn't know it (and didn't like it) when it first arrived. ...you gotta give the guy credit for what he did, IMO.
I give, and gave, him and Ducati credit - Full Retail Credit. I bought the first yellow 999 monoposto on the US Left Coast in '03. A stunning, clean sheet design. Loved it then. Love it now.

-bucky
2011 1198 - 2001 996 mono - 2002 ST4s ti - 2003 R1150RT - 2011 HD FXDC
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davy.j View Post
Youv'e obviously never ridden one a certainly don't own one.
They handle and stop like nothing else straight out the box.
Rossi won his first ever championship on a Mito
Second that! A bike design is much more than its plastics. The Mito is a brilliant ride. And if you look more closely - in person - you notice nice, unique turns of the bodywork. The tank is different shape, fuel petcocks let-into the left side, air scoops cut into the side panels, hinged tank. Effin seven speed gearbox! The frame is just the most obvious difference. I do miss my old 7-speed with flat slide carb on-song at 11,000rpm!
egomexico likes this.

-bucky
2011 1198 - 2001 996 mono - 2002 ST4s ti - 2003 R1150RT - 2011 HD FXDC
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2018, 6:48 am

The 999 is one of those bike (IMHO) that doesn’t photograph well, looks great in person. The HM and super mono are awesome as well. Sport classics are nice, although I am not that into the retro thing. I really like the distinctiveness of the designs under PT, but I guess maybe the bold approach didn’t sell for the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2018, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
The 999 is one of those bike (IMHO) that doesn’t photograph well, looks great in person. The HM and super mono are awesome as well. Sport classics are nice, although I am not that into the retro thing. I really like the distinctiveness of the designs under PT, but I guess maybe the bold approach didn’t sell for the company.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel like the 999 is aging VERY well, when I see 1098's they look thick, old, heavy. It's a pretty bike no doubt, but totally uninspired imO.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2018, 6:46 pm

I was very “meh” when the trip9 came out as it was so different from the 916-98 design. When I saw them in person and the racing results, I wanted one bad, even worse when a bud got a 749. Form there on it was on my bucket list. No doubt he was always a step ahead of me and everyone else. Look at how his bikes have aged, sport classics, super-mono, 999’s. Was it 03-04, they destroyed everything on track. Chili nearly killed himself trying to beat them cause he thought they were so fucking ugly, in his own words. Says a lot.

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Following the 916 style bikes is an automatic loss unless you evolved it. At first I didn’t like the 999/749 but I find myself looking at used yellow 749s thinking “I’d like to add that to the garage with my 748!” One mod that I think absolutely improves the 999/749 is the single headlight fairing...looks like it should have come like that!

I respect the heck out of PTs designs and bikes! Took balls to stray so far off the 916 design!

With that said I was blown away with people here not living the 1098/848 style...I find them gorgeous! Would love a matte black 848!
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2018, 11:14 pm
Prolific Poster Award

PT and the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy16 View Post
I think PT was really on to something with the 999, only most of us didn't know it (and didn't like it) when it first arrived. After reading Cathcart's book on the 999 and seeing the bike in person many times (each time "getting" it a little more), I've really come to appreciate what he did--a total redesign of an iconic bike from the inside-out, outside-in, and any other way possible. After thinking I was going to buy a 748 I decided I liked the look of the 749 better. The adjustability of the riding position was also a plus. A bonus turned out to be how much easier it is to work on. The **9 has aged extremely well as it was so far ahead of the curve. His original drawings were more beautiful than the production bike--some of his ideas either didn't translate well to production or were too expensive. Even if you don't particularly care for the designs of Terblanche, you gotta give the guy credit for what he did, IMO.
I couldn't agree more. The 999 is aging well and testifies to the fact it was ahead of it's time. The only complaint I had about the design was the breadbox Termi exhaust and lack of single-sided swingarm. However, the exhaust couldn't be helped because that's what they were back in that era before the stinger tails became popular and the single-sided exhaust was in the original design, but PT was overruled with a no on it from Fogarty and some others saying wrongly the single-sided swingarm wouldn't be strong enough. I said it before in the numerous threads over the years that not having the single-sided swingarm contributed to the 999's poorer sales performance, but oddly enough many disagreed. Once I saw a conversion of a 999 to an aftermarket single-sided configuration and it made me dream of doing the same thing to my 999S. After I sold it and bought a 999R, I decided not to consider the conversion for the sake of keeping the base design intact. I hated the massive Termi exhaust and that was the main reason when I decided to upgrade to a full system I went for the Leo Vince instead, the cannister was noticeably smaller and more proportionate to the carbon fiber tail of my 03 999R, notwithstanding the better HP gain of the Corsa Ti Leo Vince over the full Termi system. On the other extreme, the stinger tail design, in my opinion, went a little overboard during this period, the Aprilia V4 having almost no tail at all.

The Cathcart book, "999, Birth of a Legend" was one of those reads I'll always remember because I couldn't put the book down, read it cover to cover the first day. Fantastic book in regards to PT's work in general, but super informative detailing the design and manufacturing of the not cut from the same cloth 999. PT was thoughtful enough to think about how the machine was designed inside the fairing, making the 999 a far easier bike to work on compared to the previous generation Ducati superbikes. It has been said Tamburini put more effort into the exterior design and it showed with the iconic 916, but when it came to how things were organized inside the fairing, the design fell well short. I can testify to this first hand because my first attempt at doing valve clearances was on my 95 916, lets just say I participated in the process with someone skilled at it and remember how much of a PITA it was to access the valve covers, only to be frustrated further by the tiny openings, what the hell was Tamburini drinking the day he designed that? Contrast that to the architecture of the 999, easy access to the huge valve covers and it was like a breath of fresh air. Indeed, PT put a lot of thought into servicing these bikes, after all, the dread of only 6k miles intervals between valve clearance checks wasn't a selling point, especially to those owners who rode their bikes frequently. I think the 6k interval was more relevant to the older desmoquatro motors, especially those era bikes affected by the flaking rockers, the Testastretta motor was better all around, more robust and clearance specs tighter during assembly and figured you could extend the intervals, but I never tested the theory personally. PT played a big part in upgrading the Ducati to the modern era.

Present:08 1800 Goldwing,03 999R#189,Past:03 FLHRI Road King, 09 1125CR Buell, 07 1100S MTS, 04 999S, 95 916, 01 900SS, 05 600RR, 05 600RR totalled, 66 650 BSA, 68 Honda DOHC

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2018, 9:31 am

Just a quick comment re the transition from the 916 series to the 999. PT almost always gets the blame for the 999's new direction. This seems to be re-writing history. Ducati's senior leadership felt that the 916 design had run it's course, and that it was time to break with the past and start fresh. In short, Ducati's leadership directed PT to design something completely new. And he did. And they approved it and encouraged it.

Only after 999 sales didn't live up to expectations did Ducati's leadership start to point the finger at PT. In my mind this the worst kind of cowardice - blaming someone else for your own decisions.
dogrange, Jyrki and Erics75218 like this.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S

Last edited by FourRings; Jun 21st, 2018 at 9:20 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode