Pierre Terblanche - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2018, 11:17 pm
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
I think PTs thinking was that he was going to develop a revolutionary design to replace the original 916 rather than evolve it. In my opinion that was a BIG mistake. He could have evolved it ala Porsche 911 but, no, he had to make a statement. In the end Tamburinni over at MV Agusta took the former approach. IMO his is a nicer design. Over the years I have come to like the 999 but it's no 998. As for the Supersport, PT basically took the Supermono design, tweaked it and created a street version. I've come to like that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy16 View Post
I think PT was really on to something with the 999, only most of us didn't know it (and didn't like it) when it first arrived. After reading Cathcart's book on the 999 and seeing the bike in person many times (each time "getting" it a little more), I've really come to appreciate what he did--a total redesign of an iconic bike from the inside-out, outside-in, and any other way possible. After thinking I was going to buy a 748 I decided I liked the look of the 749 better. The adjustability of the riding position was also a plus. A bonus turned out to be how much easier it is to work on. The **9 has aged extremely well as it was so far ahead of the curve. His original drawings were more beautiful than the production bike--some of his ideas either didn't translate well to production or were too expensive. Even if you don't particularly care for the designs of Terblanche, you gotta give the guy credit for what he did, IMO.
Tamburini and Terblanche had two different design approaches for the SBK and SS series:

Tamburini was inclined to make beautiful bikes that performed well.
Terblanche was inclined to make great performing bikes that looked nice.

One of Terblanche's mandates in designing the 999 was to make the bike easier to ride than its Tamburini-designed predecessors. And according to "Sport Rider" Magazine (and 3 WSBK titles) he succeeded: https://www.sportrider.com/ducati-99...stance#page-11

He is also responsible for the best performing Supersports ever. The 1999–2007 generation had many design improvements over the previous generation. The distinctive air intakes at the front, that help the rear vertical cylinder run cooler is an example.

Yes, Tamburini's MVs are beautiful to watch. As were his Ducati Paso and his Bimota DB1. But neither were top performers. The 916 was his masterwork. It had the best of both worlds (performance and beauty), but designers get only one or two of those during their whole design careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobintheMtns View Post
When Pierre announced that he was going to go work for confederate motorcycles- I saw a comment along the lines of. "Great! Now he can only ruin 20 motorcycles a year!"

Lol
Terblanche's only bike at Confederate was widely praised by the specialized press.
Ultimate Motorcycling's Alan Cathcart wrote:

the whole bike represents a decisive step up... It is very evident that Terblanche succeeded in getting Confederate’s suppliers to raise their game to his levels, so that the Speedster no longer feels like a collection of parts, but a more homogeneous, more refined whole.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ing-rebellion/
Billy16 likes this.

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress

Last edited by egomexico; Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2018, 4:03 am

It seems that I feel he made at least 2 good bikes for Ducati.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S, 2004 Green Ducati.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2018, 6:41 am
Prolific Poster Award

sorry to say this boys but as tough as the confederate looks in pics and in the flesh, they are the biggest pieces of shit that iv'e had the privilege to work on. what was he thinking? its like everything was an afterthought. from the bits that have to be removed just to get at the rear wheel to the disk offset being wrong (shims needed at the back of each) to the cutting of the wiring harness due to lack of plugs to the pump unit leaking fuel from the fuel tanks that kept cracking. and more.
as for his designs, polarizing. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. love the 999, like the motard, iffy on the gt, detest his version of the 900ss. the guzzi has the perfect motor for a streetfighter but they didn't take advantage of it.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2018, 6:42 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I would love to see some of PT's original designs that were scrapped. IMO it is possible to evolve a design and meet the ergo and mechanical goals without losing the design thread. As I said, think Porsche 911. I happen to like the 999's later design w/o the "gills." But, the drastic change from 916 to 999 wasn't received well and, in the end, that's what makes companies profitable.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2018, 8:42 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by egomexico View Post

Terblanche's only bike at Confederate was widely praised by the specialized press.
Ultimate Motorcycling's Alan Cathcart wrote:

the whole bike represents a decisive step up... It is very evident that Terblanche succeeded in getting Confederate’s suppliers to raise their game to his levels, so that the Speedster no longer feels like a collection of parts, but a more homogeneous, more refined whole.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ing-rebellion/
When I look at a Confederate, I still see a pile of parts put together in a shed by a civilian who doesn't ride. Just like many custom bike builders.

Cathcart even agrees up to a point:

Quote:
It makes it hard to ride the Speedster in something approaching anger, so that it lives up to its name, and doesn’t concord very well with its aggressive appearance. That’s because you can’t easily grip the fuel tank with your knees to help steer the bike in turns because your feet are parked too far out in front of you—fine for a chilled-out cruiser, not so good for the kind of on-road action I had always understood Confederate riders relish.

Just another custom cruiser...

Tamburini had the 916, then went on to do the MV Agustas.

Terblanche had the 999, then nothing else pleasing to look at.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
Running on coffee and sarcasm...
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2018, 9:15 pm
Come in Spinner :)

Tamburini also did the Cagiva Mito...

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2018, 10:58 pm
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davy.j View Post
Tamburini also did the Cagiva Mito...

IMHO the Cagiva Mito is just a small bike wearing a 916 skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdr View Post
Tamburini had the 916, then went on to do the MV Agustas.

Terblanche had the 999, then nothing else pleasing to look at.
Really?
How about the Hypermotard, the Paul Smart LE and the Moto Guzzi Concepts at the beginning of this thread?
They were all designs revealed after the 999. Aren't they pleasing to look at?
apriliacati likes this.

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2018, 12:13 am
Tightly Clenched...

Garage
If only the engine wasn't a 50 year old tractor...

2-Moto-Guzzi-Concept by satansfist, on Flickr

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2018, 3:08 am
Come in Spinner :)

Quote:
IMHO the Cagiva Mito is just a small bike wearing a 916 skin.
Youv'e obviously never ridden one a certainly don't own one.
They handle and stop like nothing else straight out the box.
Rossi won his first ever championship on a Mito

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2018, 10:15 am
Sophomore Member

Quote:
Really?
How about the Hypermotard, the Paul Smart LE and the Moto Guzzi Concepts at the beginning of this thread?
They were all designs revealed after the 999. Aren't they pleasing to look at?
While I fully agree with you, you have to remember Dukerdr has a Mutlistrada. Also, don't forget the MHE. I think its the best of all appearance-wise.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode