Owning a Ducati has made me feel self conscious - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Owning a Ducati has made me feel self conscious

My SuperSport sure does look good (it did, after all, win the swim suit contest at EICMA) and the amount of people coming over to talk to me borders on harassment. I kid, of course, as I love to talk bikes with anyone but I always feel odd when someone says "nice bike" and I answer "thank you", as though I had anything at all to do with the development of this motorcycle. I feel like I need a more appropriate response when someone compliments my Duc. Any suggestions? I have tried replying "it sure is" but I feel as though the compliment-maker might think I'm patronizing them.

...I promised my wife I wouldn't take the Duc out today so I think I might be getting stir crazy.
Lanesmatb likes this.

- 2017 SuperSport - Johnny Spaghetti
- the fastest John Deere lawn mower in my neighborhood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 1:49 pm
Still needs a life.

I was riding my red 04-ST4s through the Cascades several years ago when an older gentleman (probably in his 80's) told me "You ride in style" while I was stopped for gas.

Bill Anderson & Darkwing Duc (06-ST3s, black) Edmonds, WA. USA
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 2:08 pm

In that case they are just complimenting your purchase choice and saying "thanks" for that is fine. Also, there is often a story behind it and you have the opportunity to ask if they ride. Now, when I am appreciating a custom restoration or a resto-mod or a scratch build, I always ask, "did you build it?" Then I can say, "well, you bought a nice car", or "you built a nice bike". Both take taste.

2001 Monster S4
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Garage
"It's a lot of fun to ride"
"It's a great day to ride"
"It was my dream to own one when this model came out 25 years ago"

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 4:13 pm
Still needs a life.

Cool

Have any of you been members long enough to remember my "dark face shield" rule for ST riders?

Bill Anderson & Darkwing Duc (06-ST3s, black) Edmonds, WA. USA
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 4:40 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Just take the compliment with grace and get used to it. My 749 is 14 years old and not in the best cosmetic condition and people still come up to it with googly eyes.
danaid and Lanesmatb like this.

2005 ST3
2003 749s
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Anderson View Post
I was riding my red 04-ST4s through the Cascades several years ago when an older gentleman (probably in his 80's) told me "You ride in style" while I was stopped for gas.
That's the exact sort of interest I enjoy most. Once about 5 years back I was at a gas station outside of Bennington VT putting my gear back on (parking lot was jammed with bikes) when an older fellow (I'd say in the 70 to 75 years range) came up and started talking motorcycles. About 30 minutes in I had gathered that his wife had recently died and he was feeling a bit alone. We stayed there for probably another hour chatting about motorcycles, his time in the military, his adopting a cat et al. That is the sort of interaction that I always most look forward to, hot scantily clad ladies be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahjah View Post
In that case they are just complimenting your purchase choice and saying "thanks" for that is fine. Also, there is often a story behind it and you have the opportunity to ask if they ride. Now, when I am appreciating a custom restoration or a resto-mod or a scratch build, I always ask, "did you build it?" Then I can say, "well, you bought a nice car", or "you built a nice bike". Both take taste.
These interactions don't actually bother me, but I did notice the absurdity of the response I kept giving seemingly every time I stopped this weekend. It's like taking pride in your kid if he or she turns out to be a naturally gifted athlete. All I contributed are my genes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
"It's a lot of fun to ride"
"It's a great day to ride"
"It was my dream to own one when this model came out 25 years ago"

ich spreche kein Englisch is always safe, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorik View Post
Just take the compliment with grace and get used to it. My 749 is 14 years old and not in the best cosmetic condition and people still come up to it with googly eyes.
At what point does "love is the drug" by Roxy Music start playing in your head while you strut through a parking lot, though. That's what I'm waiting for.

- 2017 SuperSport - Johnny Spaghetti
- the fastest John Deere lawn mower in my neighborhood

Last edited by Chuckracer; Jul 4th, 2017 at 9:45 pm.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Bongwater Johnson View Post
ich spreche kein Englisch is always safe, too.
Non so parlare inglese
pmaggiani likes this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2017, 1:11 am

was at a party last night, everyone was pretty drunk (I don't drink myself). These 2 dudes walk in and go "OH MY GOOD WHO OWN THE DUCATI?" I raise my hand and they start to metaphorically jerk me off. I'm always flattered. People compliment me on the bike, they appreciate it. I do all my own work, and I work very hard on my bike. It's personal to me and I appreciate it so much. I'm glad other people appreciate it too!

2003 Monster 800S
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2017, 4:01 am

Good news, you don't have to have a 916 or Panigale to get that DUCATI attention.

Even Terblanche cannot delete the Ducati magic, on my 900SSie I often get thumps up, stares and comments.

When I park or drive through a crowd of "ordinary" bikes, it is always like somebody "special" has arrived. The different look, the sound, the rumble, the click-clack. The name DUCATI.

Funny how a cheap 15 year old DUC can stir so much attention. I could buy a brand new Yamaha R1 or Suzuki GSXR1000 and I would still get lots more attention on my 900SSie.

Among fellow Ducatisti's the Terblanche SS is considered the ugly duckling, the outcast, fortunately the good public does not know this and approach it with a completely different mind-set....many thinks it is a new(ish) bike and not a design that is almost 20 years old.

Many thinks it is a really fast bike, and not a 80HP scooter, because Ducati still to many is so synonymous with fast sport and race bikes.

You get a little addicted to the "attention", which would take some getting used to not to get, if you some day bought a Honda or Suzuki.
pmaggiani likes this.

900SSie 2002 - Senna

Last edited by SalkinSalkin; Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode