California Superbike School at VIR - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 9:30 am Thread Starter

California Superbike School at VIR

CSS is coming to VIR on May 18 and 19. Anyone is going?

I am thinking seriously about going one day level #1.

Anyone is going?
Anyone has experience with this school?

I am going to use my 800ss. I am live about 60 miles away, and I will be riding back and forth. Andy tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:39 am

I'm probably going to do the 2-day class when they're at Miller Motorsports Park in June. I don't want to use my own bike since I'm a track noob, and they let you ride their Ninjas in the 2-day classes. Let me know what you think if you go.

White 09 848
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
CSS is coming to VIR on May 18 and 19. Anyone is going?

I am thinking seriously about going one day level #1.

Anyone is going?
Anyone has experience with this school?

I am going to use my 800ss. I am live about 60 miles away, and I will be riding back and forth. Andy tips?
Never I repeat do not ride to the track day, rent a van or a trailer!!! God forbid but what happens if you crash? Its really better to find an alternative mode of transportation to and from the track. Sure you could be lucky and you might get there and back but thats sure is a big risk. another thing is that you will be tired at the end of a track day... you wont be your normal quick thinking reacting normal self, take that into consideration. Even if your really in shape a full day at the track really takes it outta ya... other than that your ss should be a blast out there, BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN remember its not a race go at your own pace and dont push it too hard first time out,, oh yea i almost forgot the most important thing MAKE SURE YOUR TIRES ARE WARM BEFORE YOUR START GONG FAST,
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducposer View Post
Never I repeat do not ride to the track day, rent a van or a trailer!!! God forbid but what happens if you crash? Its really better to find an alternative mode of transportation to and from the track. Sure you could be lucky and you might get there and back but thats sure is a big risk. another thing is that you will be tired at the end of a track day... you wont be your normal quick thinking reacting normal self, take that into consideration. Even if your really in shape a full day at the track really takes it outta ya... other than that your ss should be a blast out there, BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN remember its not a race go at your own pace and dont push it too hard first time out,, oh yea i almost forgot the most important thing MAKE SURE YOUR TIRES ARE WARM BEFORE YOUR START GONG FAST,
I appreciate your concern, this is not a track day, however. It is a track school. Coaches monitor riders activities, and everyone has to follow the rules for each session.

I live about 65 miles away from the track, so the ride will not be to far. Also, I don't have a trailer nor a car that can haul a trailer.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
I appreciate your concern, this is not a track day, however. It is a track school. Coaches monitor riders activities, and everyone has to follow the rules for each session.

I live about 65 miles away from the track, so the ride will not be to far. Also, I don't have a trailer nor a car that can haul a trailer.
VIR is a cool track! Have fun, I will miss it this year with a baby on the way. I'm the only CSS coach that has ever taken maternity leave hahahahah.

I really liked your distinction here between a "track day" and our riding school. Sometimes riders show up with a false impression that it is a track day and while we don't restrict a riders "speed" we do make sure that they are following the format and the school rules. While this does reduce the amount of crashes, just keep in mind that one could happen.....we do have a lot of students that ride too and from the track with no incidents at all.

Sweet, have fun. I'm jealous! I miss riding!

Misti
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 5:21 pm

I went to VIR for one day last September and rented their Kaw bike. Everything went very smoothly. I probabaly rode about 6 latps about 5 times. Lessons in between and coaching after each set of laps. I only have positive things to say. Will do it again this fall.

07 BMW K1200 S
04 Harley Road King (the fast color) :-)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 5:49 pm
Trackday Junkie

CSS is an awesome school. I have found thier instructors are extremely knowledgeable about helping the students and giving them very good advice on where they can improve. When I watch the students (I have corner-worked for them, as well as regular track days) you can see a very clear and direct difference in speed from the morning to the afternoon.

As for homework, meh, pick up Twist of the Wrist 2 and study it. There is a LOT of good information there, stuff that most of us would never have figured out.

As for John E, I respect your view for sure. However, I also agree that even this Track School, you still prep for it like a track day. Just to be safe.

Because the truth of the matter is, you WILL be going a lot faster, and more comfortably, towards the end of the day that you ever have before. And sometimes there are factors outside of your control that happen.

Good luck.

Price

"No doesn't mean no; 'giraffe' means no....."

http://www.socaltrackdays.com/
http://www.chuckwallavalleyraceway.com/
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 6:09 pm

Go for it!! I did CSS last May at Pocono Level 1 and 2. It was a blast. I rented their ZX6 for both days. Keith and his son Dylan are awesome instructors. Some pic's from last year. Enjoy!!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 6:15 pm
Bly

Interesting thread.
I've been riding for 30 years on and off and will be doing my first CSS in a month with a friend.
I've never been on a track before, we plan riding to and from the track. Hopefully I can learn lots and unlearn even more. I've read and re read TOTWII so have a handle on some of the theory, but obviously need coaching in practice.
Exciting stuff!

Multistrada 1100, sans fairing.
Black SFS.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Thank you all for your inputs. I reserved my spot on May 18th....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode