Counter Sprocket Retainer - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2010, 2:39 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo_Demon View Post
It is just resting there.

With the splines ramping up to the full OD of the shaft just prior to entering the engine case, the sprocket will not go any further toward the case. Then, the new sprocket is resting against the spacer and there is about 0.010" or less of play laterally, so I can just get the sprocket retainer in and out without a much difficulty. There should essentially be no force along the shaft, so this should not pose any issues. The boogered up splines was allowing 4mm of play toward the engine when OEM should only be about 1mm, so now I have about the same lateral freeplay as stock.

If I wanted to bolt it to the backside of the sprocket, ideally I'd have to drill the threads out of the holes in the spacer because of the rare odds the threads between the spacer and the sprocket align. If it is deemed necessary, it won't take much to bolt the sprocket and spacer together....probably a carbide bit being toasted per hole (those sprockets are pretty damn hard).
The splines on my bike are similar to yours, meaning they are not that great. I assume this is normal for these engines.

I would NOT bolt the two parts together, since power would then travel through those small bolts to the sprocket, probably leading to failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2010, 2:57 pm

I have 40k on my bike and am on the 2nd retainer. Just replace it every time you change the chain/sprockets, and put some lubricant on it.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2010, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
I would NOT bolt the two parts together, since power would then travel through those small bolts to the sprocket, probably leading to failure.
I figured it is not anything that would be necessary with the lack of lateral force that they will experience. I have about 1000 miles on it, so far, and LiquidSilver told me that he got a few thousand out of his before he traded the bike, so I'm not too sure of the longevity of the system, but I don't see much potential for any issues......but sometimes I'm not real good at judging these types of things, as some previous posts on this thread would prove. LOL

Can't get a new sig pic to load. Oh goodie.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:08 pm

IMHO I think it's a creative idea and I don't see any problem with it (I thought your initial one was good, too, until it started spitting out the bolts!).
FWIW, my 1998 got 28,000mi out of the OEM chain, sprockets, and retainer. The local dealer actually gave me another retainer because my VIN was in the recall range. I always kept my eye on it due to the recall, but the first retainer went 28000 (had the new spare one in the tank bag...). I put the new one in with the new Ch.+Sprockets. I believe my chain oiler helped with the life of the chain and related hardware.

Stick -~~~- Need an adrenaline rush? Shove a DUC between your legs.
Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2010, 8:01 am Thread Starter

As for replacing the retainer with a new set of chain and sprockets or whatever, if you notice my first post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo_Demon View Post
Strangely, this is the third or fourth sprocket retainer that I've put on the bike in the 40k miles of its life, and I've never had one wear out this quickly nor as badly...
This means I was replacing the retainer more than most people, apparently, and the bike still ate my retainer. Maybe there is just something weird with my bike/output shaft where it wanted to wear the retainer faster than most, which is strange, because the retainer really shouldn't see much wear. It just rocks a little back and forth in the slot in the shaft. From what I can tell, the shaft runs straight and true. Maybe I'll check the run out, sometime.

Can't get a new sig pic to load. Oh goodie.

Last edited by Desmo_Demon; Jun 9th, 2010 at 8:10 am.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Sorry Terry, I'm too lazy to re-read all the prior posts, but with a new chain and sprockets, how is the alignment of the two sprockets?

I used a lazer pointer (shhhhh, I borrowed it from the conference room) and laid it in between the chain side plates at the wheel, pointing at the output sprocket.

I'll never tell if you return it to the conference room with chain lube on it ......

'05 ST3
'90 906 Paso
It's not just a Ducati, it's a disease!
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 6:54 pm
WED

Sigh...I now have to do the spacer as my output shaft is buggered. Can anyone post if this has been a permanent fix? I tour a lot and run 5000 miles on most trips. Leaving in a month and I'd love to hear people speak up on this fix please and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode