Counter Sprocket Retainer - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

I just did some searching and Richard (from Richard's ST2 Pages) has this page dedicated to the issue and the recall from '98....

http://webpages.charter.net/strysnie...ntershaft.html

From what he wrote, there is a concern that the worn retainer can allow the sprocket to actually come off the shaft, altogether. He also mentions about the sprocket walking in and doing damage to the case. Ducati singled out the 1998 ST2s VIN WB002137 to VIN WB003736, maybe there is something other than the retainer different with those VIN #'s compared to other bikes, but he does state that the concern is not limited to just the '98 ST2, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Maybe they're not hardening the clips like they did in the past or do you think the chain may have jumped the groove on the swing arm guard and pulled the sprocket to one side?
I think the ST2's front sprocket has an offset, so you cannot turn it around, but I don't remember correctly. I do remember that the '01 M900ie has a weird offset on both sides of the sprocket, though. If I still had access to a Rockwell tester, I could test the hardness of the retainer with a new one, but I no longer work where I have access to one. I didn't think about it, but catching the slider just right could have pulled the sprocket over. I recall Saturday, hitting a local road with some dips in it hard enough to have bottomed and hit the header that goes under the engine, so something like that could be possible.......

BTW, it's a fun and fast road nick-named the "Roller Coaster". Here's a small picture of a guy I know jumping his CBR954RR from one of the hill crests...

Can't get a new sig pic to load. Oh goodie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2009, 6:16 am

There was a TSB/Recall on Early ST's. I am not sure what year your is but call a dealer and have them check the VIN. The splines to me look ok so get a new updated retainer and put it back together. If you are going to replace anything I would suspect the chain would have some wear from side flexing and you may want to do chain and sprockets.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2009, 10:08 am

This same problem happened to me two years ago on my ST4. I went to the ST Madness gathering in Utah from Calif. When I got back home, I was coming home from work and left a stop sign and lost my drive chain. The sprocket was moving back and forth on the splines and the chain rubbed against the clutch slave wearing off the nubs on the links. The ones holding the masterlink stick out just a tiny bit more and those wore off. The masterlink keeper then went bye bye, then the chain came off the bike. I was lucky as I was hardly moving when it just unraveled and lay on the street.

The scary part of this story is that I was doing 140 mph through Nevada on the way home from Madness. If the chain would have let go at those speeds, who knows what would have happened.

I now change out the sprocket retainer every time I change out the chain.

Mike
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
I hear that. My old R1 got washed a few times in the 7 years I owned her. The Monster get's cleaned quite often - every other ride or so. I can't help it

Hot damn! With wheels that white, I can imagine! Very nice!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Alternate Retainer Design

Well, about 1000 miles later, and I finally got some parts made to redo the way the sprocket is retained on the shaft. I am now using an original retainer, two custom made spacers to get the correct thickness, a custom end plate, two longer retainer bolts, and another bolt to go into the end of the output shaft. I'm going to run it like this for a little while and maybe safety wire the three bolts, later. There is absolutely no wiggle, wobble, or free play on the counter-shaft sprocket, now.

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 10:40 am

That's a great looking fix!!

What really sucks... when this happens on the ST models with wet clutches, because there's an oil galley plug just behind the countershaft sprocket, so if the clip allows the sprocket to move back... it grinds the head of the oil galley plug off... ejecting all the oil, all over the back tire... which sucks when you're on a twisty road. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

The dealer designed a fix with an old countershaft sprocket, fitted behind the actual countershaft sprocket, which doesn't allow it to move back, even if the retaining clip should fail.

At minimum, be sure you're keeping those retainer clips fresh... but I like the design above MUCH BETTER!!

Fresh out of Ducatis in the garage at this moment.

Hang on... what's this? I must have that!

Welcome to the garage, Mr. GT1000!
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
That's a great looking fix!!
Thanks.

My buddy has the spacers programmed into his CNC plasma cutter, so he can cut them out of any thickness of sheeting up to 1/4" with his current cutting tip. Using the plasma cutter required some cleaning of the edges and we made the holes a little under-sized, so those needed to be opened and cleaned a little bit, also.

I'm thinking of putting this system on a couple other bikes, but the thickness of the spacers is dependent on the model of bike. When using the OEM retainer, I needed around 0.185" worth of spacers before adding the end retainer for my '98 ST2. I have no idea what my 748 or the Monster would require.

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 1:59 am

[QUOTE=Desmo_Demon;561847] There is absolutely no wiggle, wobble, or free play on the counter-shaft sprocket, now.

Not really sure if it’s going to matter, but I’d be a little concerned that the sprocket won’t be allowed to “Float” as I believe it was designed to do, which may cause or create some unwanted stresses in the area. Possibly even picking up some added vibration that may transfer into other parts of the trans, bearings, seals, etc?

Just a thought……..

Effort = Results

Out of Aluminum Fuel sender nuts - Thanks to all https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthre...t=65886&page=2

Last edited by yellow blur; Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:50 pm.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 10:09 am
Prolific Poster Award

I checked my retainer while doing the rebuild and found it worn too. I just replaced with a new one. I did catch it before the sprocket got off the mark
and did any damage. I'd think that for 7 bucks I'll just keep a spare and
check it every so often.

But, your retainer design looks great and let me know if it doesn't create any other problems.

"Beware the lollypop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever. " Timothy Leary

“Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.” EJ Potter

Robert
2015 Multistrada TourS
Past 99 ST4 Red
2003 ST4s Red
2 750 GTs
1961 Velocette in 1953 Featherbed
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 3:01 pm
Chilehead

Terry, I'd always be interested in a set for my '98 ST2 if you make more.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode