Cafe Racer project 999 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Cafe Racer project 999

Hey guys,

I got a hold of a nice 999 frame and subframe, axles, and forks.

Now, I've decided to start a cafe racer project, have been lurking but did not bite the bullet but I finally did.

I've been searching all over for an answer regarding to the engine. I do not mind buying a used 999 engine, but, is there an alternative engine to fit onto the 999 frame (as in direct drop in. I've read about the 1098 engine swap with mods to the frame) ? Say: an air-cooled monster 1000 or hypermotard 1100?

This will be a long-ass term build since I do not have the cash to play right away (i.e. buying everything at once), and as of right now, I only have the skeleton of the bike. Does anyone have sites/places for me to call in to check?

Thanks!

2011 SF S (AR GP2 on, remapped, dyno'ed in at 150whp ) for now...
2010 SF S (totaled ) 2008 848 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 29th, 2016, 10:30 pm

I always like the simpler look of air cooled engines on cafe builds.
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 5:13 pm

Garage
I think the main difference is the rear mount for the swingarm on the engine cases, if the frame is on the outside of the swingarm than the engine is narrower, if the swingarm hangs directly from the engine with no frame support than the cases have wider bosses for swingarm bearings. As far as I know the mounts for engine to frame are all the same but I'm not sure about the newer stuff.

I look forward to seeing your project, I'm building a 749 cafe racer out of a load of crap I've gathered over the years, it's going to be a retro take on the 72 Imola, with reversed rear head and running carbs.
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 8:16 pm

Garage
ST motors xan be found cheap and make good power

The older I get, the faster I was
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in