"Chicken Strips": Just a difference in rider position? - Page 7 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2007, 2:00 pm
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKoch View Post
It's easy to steer a bicycle riding no-handed, and motorcycles work the same way
But both are virtually impossible to steer if the steering head is fixed. Sure, they can move a little, but not enough to be of use.

As a teenager, I was able to ride three miles to school without ever touching the bars, but they visibly moved. If they were blocked, that would not have been possible.

As far as chick strips are concerned, my ST2 has none, my SS always some, even though on the same roads the SS is faster. Also, a two-up ride produces less chicken strips than a solo ride on any of my bikes.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2007, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2lemans View Post
But both are virtually impossible to steer if the steering head is fixed.
True, because the tire needs to rotate slightly into the turn. Code's bike doesn't have the steering head locked, it just has an extra set of bars that are attached to the frame, not to the forks.
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:09 pm

I would think that most riders naturally use a combination of countersteering, leaning, and to a lesser extent "peg weighting" to get around turns, and each does it differently. For me, I like to initiate a turn with a quick, small countersteer movement, then move my butt slightly to the inside while keeping my head low and centered over the tank, and slightly weighting the inside peg. As I am coming out of the turn, just getting centered back in the seat and a very slight countersteer movement again will snap the bike back up, and over the other way if I choose to do so. I can turn just as well by using slightly more countersteer and staying centered in the seat, but feel slightly less of a sense of control doing it this way. You could probably find a hundred different ways variations on this, just depends on what people are comfortable with.
post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 6:54 am

Wow, talk about reviving an old thread

Jimmy
Go Gators
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 7:56 am

If peg weighting helps turn the bike then why can I stand on one foot while my bike is moving and nothing happens? And stunters go down the road on the rear wheel only with one foot on the tail and standing on the other?

1992 Ducati 900 SS, 2004 BMW R1100S, 1978 BMW R100RS, 1996 Ducati 955SP (sold in a moment of stupidity)
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
If peg weighting helps turn the bike then why can I stand on one foot while my bike is moving and nothing happens? And stunters go down the road on the rear wheel only with one foot on the tail and standing on the other?
I think it's more as assisted leverage...

Jimmy
Go Gators
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:34 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
On the track, you're always on the pegs, rarely on the seat. When entering a corner, you usually get back on the seat because of weight distribution reasons. The most important thing to remember is keeping your body "hanging" off the bike, not putting any weight on your knee or pegs, thats how you get hurt. You should be able to take your toe off the peg at any time in a corner because your outside leg is holding you up. Obviously, exiting a corner, you can get off the seat again and back on the pegs, but again, it doesn't help very much.

So peg weighting, not what I'd call an important factory in steering because you naturally do it in some cases and in others, its not a good idea at all. Hanging off the bike has much more value in of itself, then peg weighting could ever have.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCeditor View Post
Truth be told some also from time to time (Shhh! Don't tell!) have been known to shift their torso mass away from the direction of the turn for the very purpose of wearing away those dreaded, cred destroying, 'chicken strips.'

-
I catch my self doing that on My Multi, and Our Demo HyperMotard on tight urban corners, especially if it is slick out (like rain, or cindered road) But that is how you turn a dirt bike. Lean the bike, keep your body upright and aiming in the intended direction of travel. For some reason I feel safer going fast on slippery stuff if I use this method. After all, a hyper feels like a dirtbike.

Another thing I have noticed. I wear my Multi Stada tires to the very edge, and my Paul Smart with Pilot Powers kill the michelin man. On my SC1000 Track Bike (AKA "the bass boat") when I ride it on the road, I have at least and inch of tire that is not touching, but I am going into corners as fast or faster than on my other bikes. The profile of the power race tires is for going really fast on the track, and on the street, I do not think one can ever really use what thay have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode