"Chicken Strips": Just a difference in rider position? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 1:54 pm

I gotcha...keep in mind it's also the deformation of the tire and not just the heat. Tires deform and mold to the road differently, part of the reason racers use 16.5 wheels. Tires are also different shapes and heights even in the same size. (I found out how dramatic the differences are last weekend)

Oh and those black strips look cool but can result in cold tears and highsides...be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye1138
LOL! I mean, thats straight up the truth! Glad to see somebody who knows somethin!

Yep! Try it sometime on a corner you know well. Go slow, get comfortable and then increase speed. The centrifugal force will keep your tires planted and the faster you go through a corner, the more they'll grip because they're getting hotter = better grip! Of course, this is why softer compound racing tires exist and why a lot of people can leave black lines through a corner! Someday I'll do that, not today....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 1:56 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider
A side note to tire profile though for example a 190 tire on a 5.5 inch wide rear wheel will leave you with chicken strips. To quote a friend of mine "To lean the bike over far enough to use the entire tire surface you are crashing".
I'm pretty sure I've posted this pic here before, but what the heck, it's one of my faves. a 190 tire (stock size) on a 5.5. rim. It was replaced with a 180 soon after this.

Ya want chicken strips? Here ya go...

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 2:02 pm

Why a 180? That tire can definitely go over more than that...

Also looks like perhaps a little too much drive out of the turns...are those some small cold tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog
I'm pretty sure I've posted this pic here before, but what the heck, it's one of my faves. a 190 tire (stock size) on a 5.5. rim. It was replaced with a 180 soon after this.

Ya want chicken strips? Here ya go...

post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999er

Also looks like perhaps a little too much drive out of the turns...are those some small cold tears?

Wait a sec. Too much drive out of the turns is a bad thing?
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana
During trial B, the rider maintains a perpindicular position to the bike running the same line and speed through the turn. (Think of it as the rider's legs gripping the tank firmly and the bike leaning more...am I right about this?)
No. Perpendicular means "T", or 90 degrees to. There is a right angle relationship between two objects. For example, a motorcycle being ridden down a straight road running through Kansas. The motorcycle is straight up and the road is flat. The combined rider and motorcycle are perpendicular to the road.

What you are describing is the rider positioned on-center with the bike, rather than off-center, or hanging off.

John Filak
Dallas
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 2:32 pm

I can't tell if you're kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivator
Wait a sec. Too much drive out of the turns is a bad thing?
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 3:18 pm

That's the way that I read it.

To me, chicken strips have always meant that I was not getting the maximum turn speed performance out of the tire, which in turn also means that I was not getting the most out of the suspension.

Chicken strips indicate the willingness of the rider to use just more of the bike's capability.

Quote:
I assume he means centrifugal force to carry you through the turn and maybe even deformation of the tire as a result of that if he's talking grip.

bevel 450

71 bevel desmo speciale ( in process )
93 888 SPO ( license #46 WLF )
94 M-900
02 ST4s
67 Norton P-11 Flat tracker for dedicated terror on the streets of Los Angeles ( license NOBRAKE) !
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Garage
Quote:

Ok, a little history behind it.

At the time that was taken, the bike was relatively new and I hadn't spent much time on it - 1200 miles or so, then put it away for the winter. It was, I think, my second ride of the second season of ownership. Weather wasn't all that warm, threatening rain, and I'm not a fast rider to begin with. Track day, no tire warmers or even suspension set up for that matter - check the tire pressure, let 'er rip.

So... could very well be cold tears and yes, my corner speed wasn't anywhere near what it could have been so the drive coming out was probably harder than if I had cornered faster to begin with. Only got one or two sessions in before the rain hit so I loaded up and went home.

Took the bike down to the Deal's Gap area after that and ended up scrubbing the tires further over on that trip than I had at the track day...

Not long after that I picked up a screw in the tire and I replaced it with a 180, based on recommendations from a buddy with a 916 (my bike is a 996). Haven't seen any reason to change back to a 190 so 180 it is.

After seeing this photo one guy commented the rebound damping may be off, but to be honest my main interest has turned towards vintage bikes so the 996 doesn't see much use anymore. I'm thinking I may look at setting it up a bit better over the winter, but there are other projects in the shop too, so we'll see.

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 4:28 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog
After seeing this photo one guy commented the rebound damping may be off, but to be honest my main interest has turned towards vintage bikes so the 996 doesn't see much use anymore. I'm thinking I may look at setting it up a bit better over the winter, but there are other projects in the shop too, so we'll see.
The rebound on the rear is off, you need to increase it. I've never seen build-up so close to the center of the tire before, usually that sorta build-up is right on the edge. Your suspension is probably pretty far out of whack, I'd get it over to somebody before you hit up another track day. Messing around on the street is great and all, but when you go to the track, having the bike setup is crucial.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Tye you definitely have more track time than me so not trying to directly dispute you, only trying to add with this:

I can't speak entirely to this but cold tears usually don't happen at the edge from what I have seen. I have only seen and have personally had cold tears between the middle and the edge because of too much drive out of a corner while still leaned over a bit too much. Mine occurred specifically due to underinflation while doing it. (it didn't happen on the prior/identical track day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye1138
The rebound on the rear is off, you need to increase it. I've never seen build-up so close to the center of the tire before, usually that sorta build-up is right on the edge. Your suspension is probably pretty far out of whack, I'd get it over to somebody before you hit up another track day. Messing around on the street is great and all, but when you go to the track, having the bike setup is crucial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode