"I hate Ducati" - Page 7 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 4:21 pm

True!

Not to mention a lot of yuppies and millionaires can afford and ride the bikes so you just never know...some Harley guy was giving me crap the other day at the dry cleaners pointing to the H-D symbol on his shirts. "This is what IIII ride..." It was funny because I thought he was being cool, then he said "If I wasn't riding a Harley then I'd be riding a Ducati..." I proceeded to tell him about a great route to take and it was a pretty cool encounter.

Long story short, I agree...you never know. As much as you can refrain (we all do it to a degree), don't judge a book by its cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew_Hammer
Eh, I have a dislike for Harleys & Cruisers in general. I won't go and bash them though. Something that isn't my style doesn't make the person that rides it an idiot or a redneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 5:41 pm

The only negative comment I've ever received was from my neighbor's boyfriend...who claimed that the 748 is for girls, and I should've gotten a 996. This is coming from a guy who doesn't ride a bike, nor has ever owned one. I simply reply with a smirk and say, "Yeah, it's my wife's...I'm just borrowing it." My point is, I could care less what anyone thinks. I've wanted a Ducati for as long as I can remember, and now that I own one...I'm on cloud 9. What other bike can you just simply stare at?

On the other hand, the one bad thing I can say about owning a Ducati is this:
whenever I go riding with friends (all 2 of them)...all of which own jap bikes...and we park somewhere, someone will always compliment my bike...and not theirs. Kinda makes me feel bad for them.

Let me clear the air by saying I'm not a "Ducati Elitist" by any means, if your on 2 wheels, you're cool with me.

2013 Panigale 1199S
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 3:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mito_gp
On the other hand, the one bad thing I can say about owning a Ducati is this:
whenever I go riding with friends (all 2 of them)...all of which own jap bikes...and we park somewhere, someone will always compliment my bike...and not theirs. Kinda makes me feel bad for them.
I (secretly ) love when this happens. I sometimes ride with guys from work who own busa's and CBR's and I get a little tired of listening to their HP & torque specifications and how woefully behind Ducati is and the price... blah blah blah. Then we park our bikes for lunch and every dude and hot chick is checking out my bike and asking me all kinds of questions. Some will even toss a "but your's is nice too" to my friends!
post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 5:02 am

I think it's interesting how so many people are attracted to the "image", whether it be Ducati, Harley, or whatever.

I'm in the military, and if you order from overseas you can buy a US "made" car (Ford, Chevy, GMC, etc.) or motorcycle (HD or Buell) at a pretty good savings. So all these kids (with their deployment $$$ burning holes in their pockets) run out and buy Harleys. Many (most, even) have never been on a bike before in their lives. The gal at the order desk gives them a hat or a T-Shirt, and then they start walking around talking "down" to everyone who rides "less" than a Harley.

Mind you, not only have they not been on their new HD yet, they've not even seen it. They won't pick it up until after they get back to the states, go thru the MSF Course, and get their motorcycle endorsement.

They ask me if I ride. I think I confuse them when the answer doesn't include "Soft Tail, Fat Boy, or V-Rod"

The funny thing is that "Harley image" is to be different, be an individual. Yet it seems like you can't swing a dead drive belt without hitting a Harley these days. Good marketing by the company (and I'm glad they're doing well) but it's not the same old Harley crowd I grew up spitting at me at the stop light (while I was on a "Rice Rocket"). And that's OK. I don't miss those guys.

This is off-topic, but it seems that motorcycling is much more "main stream" these days. I used to get a lot of hateful stares (even while riding my 'ol Honda CT90, for God's sake!) and having someone try and run you off the road (like the other thread here) was a monthly (sometimes weekly) experience. It's not like the bad-old-days when "They Wild One" and "Easy Rider" were fresh in the public's mind.

It always struck me how ironic it is that the non-riders hate us, and then we further fight amongst ourselves.

Current
'98 Triumph T-Bird Sport
'95 Ducati 900SP (US) #561
'74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Garage is full!

Gone but Greatly Missed
'95 Ducati 900SL (Euro) #003
'72 Honda CB350

Gone and Good Riddance!
'83 Kawi GPZ 750 Turbo

I centauri indisciplinati in servizio sulla strada!
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 9:13 am
mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1098
I just purchased my first Ducati, a 1098, and have gottena lot of complements. If folks are giving you a hard time to bad for them. I love all bikes, but how many Gixxers do you need to see? I has had HDs a Busa, ninja, cbr and a big dog. Don't regret a onenof them, but the Ducati is great. The best thing to do is ride what you like.
Hey, NJ1098, I thought the '08 models wouldn't roll out until November. Do you truly have an '08 as in your signature? Must be the first one?

'08 ZX14 and '02 ZRX1200R
...previous Ducatis now sold... '05 999 and '02 ST4S
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mito_gp
The only negative comment I've ever received was from my neighbor's boyfriend...who claimed that the 748 is for girls, and I should've gotten a 996. This is coming from a guy who doesn't ride a bike, nor has ever owned one. I simply reply with a smirk and say, "Yeah, it's my wife's...I'm just borrowing it."
I got the same comment all the time when I was out on my Ninja 250. Usually people would tell me how slow it is and how I should have got a "real motorcycle". I usually just told them if they wanted to see me on a nicer bike they should buy me one. That usually shut them up.

I love that little bike, rode it to work today (it even sounds like a "real motorcycle" with the pipes I put on it). IMO best bike to learn to ride on.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad
Hey, NJ1098, I thought the '08 models wouldn't roll out until November. Do you truly have an '08 as in your signature? Must be the first one?
I do. I got it on 8-14 (bought it on 8-4), it was the first one sold at the dealer but due to travel it was the second delivered. They have another that was ordered and the guy couldn't get the financing. I saw it yesterday when I stopped in.

2014 FLHRSE5 turbo
2013 Hypermotard SP White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode