Proved how stupid I can be yesterday - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Proved how stupid I can be yesterday

So how did I go about proving how stupid I can be? Good question; picture this. Iím getting off work after being stuck inside all day on one of those beautiful summer, sunny days. Sun is shining, crystal clear blue sky; you get the picture. Anyway I get on my bike and thumb the starter and it comes to life, instantly send a thrill through me right to my very core; I love this bike. Up goes the kickstand and Iím off; heading for the edge of the parking lot and the driveway that leads to freedom. Quick left out of the driveway and Iím rolling on the throttle; GOD I love the way this bike pulls. In a few feet Iím headed into a nice little decreasing radius turn, still in the throttle. Now yes I know my tires are cold and Iím probably pushing a little too hard too soon but it feels sooooooooo good. Then I see it; someone put out a sprinkler and instead of water their yard is doing a much better job of watering the street; okay so much for this line; I start working on changing my line, next thing I know the edge of the road is way close for comfort and then it happens. Can you say target fixation? Why I couldnít just push the bike over and little harder and ride the damn thing out I donít know; too damn stupid I guess. Anyway next thing I know Iím in the grass doing about 50 Iím guessing when the front wheel goes out from under me. I low sided my baby for no apparent reason other than my brain wasnít firing on all cylinders at that moment.

Well long story short; Iím okay; a buddy gave me a ride to get my truck and trailer and I got the bike home. The whole ordeal was over within an hour; other than my broken heart. I still havenít done a damage assessment but what I do know so far is:
Nose piece is shot, right side fairing has a nice size hole worn through it at the water pump area. Tail piece got torn off but maybe repairable, my rear BST wheel is broken and will need replacement. Bent shifter, broken left clip-on bar and left footpeg, speedometer lens is off but havenít looked at it yet, and the windshield is toast.
Iíll be looking at it closely as soon as I can bare to and I guess Iíll be posting up a list of needed parts. And yes Iíll get some pictures too. Ride safe guys and donít get stupid like yours truly. Enjoy your weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Dude, that completely sucks! Very glad you're okay. This kind of thing happens to all of use one time or another.

"My father would want me to be firm in the right, as he always was. The author of all things watches over me......and I have a good horse." Mattie Ross (True Grit)

ďMerciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.Ē Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan

"Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

'11 Harley-Davidson Super Glide Custom.
í03 749 Biposto ďRosaĒ.
'93 Katana 600 "Rat Kat"(SOLD)
'09 Honda Rebel 250
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 8:39 pm

ouch!
here's for a quick mend to you and the bike. glad you're around to share the tale.

Sit back and watch my divine spark flash.
Duc = S2r / Guzzi = 1200Sport

http://www.oldschoolaudio.co
Low tech for Hi-fi..
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 7:01 am
xx9 Lover

bikes are replaceable, as long as youre ok thats all that matters in the end.

06 Ducati 749
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 8:17 am

Very sorry to hear about your bike, but glad that you are OK.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 9:55 am
Banned

Location: somewhere between atlanta & n.cali, ITALIA->UK->MI->GA->CA, USA
I feel for you... I go through a "previous mistakes" checklist before riding. one I do all the time is picturing what it would feel like to fixate on something, and make myself think through turning my head and eyes forcibly back to the road. another is visualizing not chopping the throttle if my rear tire spins up. My biggest one is visualizing my bike broken on the ground because I do something out of ego... that ensures that I drive calmly all day.

Sounds crazy, but if you visualize how you're going to act correctly, then your brain won't make the same mistakes.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:05 am
mad

Mike!!! Damn dude. Here's bit of info you didn't give the masses here...all your body work AND wheels are CARBON FIBER. Damn! Hope you're okay.
Mark

'08 ZX14 and '02 ZRX1200R
...previous Ducatis now sold... '05 999 and '02 ST4S

Last edited by mad; Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:48 am.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad
Mike!!! Damn dude. Here's bit of info you didn't give the masses here...all your body work is CARBON FIBER. Damn! Hope you're okay.
Mark
Glad you made it out okay. That blows about the $$$ CF fairings. Sounds like you're eating the damage since there is no police report. Im sure if its like here they would have charged you with fail to maintain control so its better to eat it some times.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:22 am

Sounds like you put alot of heart into your bike. I'd hate to see it all broken if it were me but at least you didn't injure yourself and all that can be fixed in time. Take it easy man.

02 Aprillia RST Futura
01 Ducati ST4
06 BMW K1200R (sold)
99 900 Supersport (sold)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:42 am

Oh DAMN...998R! nice! sorry to hear...gawd i can feel your pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode