MBP Retainer Install Quick Question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

MBP Retainer Install Quick Question

I have notice that several collet/retainer combinations do not snap into place. They appear settled already when I release the closer rocker which draws the collet over the retainers and the valve to seat.

Does this seem normal?

Mike
[SIZE=2]2000 748 with Ported Heads
Custom 45mm/57mm Yoshimura Half System
Light YTZ27 Yausa Battery
Lightened Internal Gears and Flywheel
O2 sensors, datalogger, PClll and FIM

Various Carbon Bits and R Bodywork

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 4:18 pm

just did the install on my ST2. some of them seemed to be seated just by them selves. others needed a snap or two of the closer to seat them. as long as they are seated there is no problem. ask mike if you have any lingering doubts about things. he sells them along with his shim kits
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy
just did the install on my ST2. some of them seemed to be seated just by them selves. others needed a snap or two of the closer to seat them. as long as they are seated there is no problem. ask mike if you have any lingering doubts about things. he sells them along with his shim kits
That is just the answer I wanted to here. It seems rather obvious when they are seated but I had the same issue as you did. Some snapped into place others just seated themselves.

So onward I go.

Thank You!

Mike
[SIZE=2]2000 748 with Ported Heads
Custom 45mm/57mm Yoshimura Half System
Light YTZ27 Yausa Battery
Lightened Internal Gears and Flywheel
O2 sensors, datalogger, PClll and FIM

Various Carbon Bits and R Bodywork

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 5:15 pm

HI Mike,
Make sure you seat the retainers into the closing shim by giving the back of the closing rocker arm a good wack with a wooden dowel. This pushes up on the closing shim, seating the valve in the head and thus seating the retainer in the groove-closer shim. Especially using the MBP retainers with the stock OEM closing shims, the tapered surfaces mate and need to be locked into place. If you dont seat the retainers, they will move on you a bit as they bed themselves in.

Also, if you the retainers are not seating properly (it is very close tolerances with all the other parts) you can tell in that the top of the closing shim is sitting below the top of the valve stem (with the opener shim removed of course). It should be near the same level as the top of the valve stem. Usually just a squeeze on the retainers or a jiggle of the closer shim gets the retainers to fall into place.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode