"Crash Science ~ Motorcycles" on National Geographic Channel - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 5:17 pm Thread Starter

"Crash Science ~ Motorcycles" on National Geographic Channel

This is a great show on basic motorcycle dynamics.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...702012200.html

How would I get this on DVD?

"This is my Ducati. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. 2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 7:00 pm

Garage
Ummm, did you really watch this show? It was kind of lame from a "science" point of view. While it wasn't sensationalistic it did little to really describe the dynamics of high sides and the multitude of different types of low sides. It's really cool if you like to watch a given crash a dozen times and then a commercial then watch the same crash 8 more times in case you forgot what it looked like the first time. Then watch as some principles are explained with a computer generated model of a GSX-R. Incompletely I might add. This show could have been so much better and so much more informative than it was. While it was more entertaining than anything that was on at the time (the Barry Sheene portion was great) it still left quite a bit to be desired if the intent was to explain how crashes occur. Al Luddington's perspective saved the show in my opinion. At least he knows what he's talking about.........sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 8:36 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I agree even though I really just caught bits and pieces of it. My impression was it was geared for the lay public, therefore laid out differently. No doubt if it was for serious enthusiasts, racers, etc it would have been different.

Anything about motorcycles is good as far as I'm concerned. I did enjoy the old footage, among other things it showed how much more dangerous the sport was back then. Hitting a bale of hay at 100+ doesn't seem to comforting.

Present:08 1800 Goldwing,03 999R#189,Past:03 FLHRI Road King, 09 1125CR Buell, 07 1100S MTS, 04 999S, 95 916, 01 900SS, 05 600RR, 05 600RR totalled, 66 650 BSA, 68 Honda DOHC

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2007, 2:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannaduc
Ummm, did you really watch this show? It was kind of lame from a "science" point of view. While it wasn't sensationalistic it did little to really describe the dynamics of high sides and the multitude of different types of low sides. It's really cool if you like to watch a given crash a dozen times and then a commercial then watch the same crash 8 more times in case you forgot what it looked like the first time. Then watch as some principles are explained with a computer generated model of a GSX-R. Incompletely I might add. This show could have been so much better and so much more informative than it was. While it was more entertaining than anything that was on at the time (the Barry Sheene portion was great) it still left quite a bit to be desired if the intent was to explain how crashes occur. Al Luddington's perspective saved the show in my opinion. At least he knows what he's talking about.........sean
I agree with everything you wrote, but it is the first special that I have ever watched that attempted to tackle the subject.

For some reasons, the British and other European countries tend to discuss motorcycle safety in a frank and open way in their magazines. Our US magazines tend to avoid the subject for the large part.

Besides, if you want to watch true travesity of science, spend some moments on a National Geographic UFO special.

"This is my Ducati. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. 2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode