An informed response to the "tank spread" proposed settlement - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 12:16 am

I just purchased a 2007 S4RS and it needs a new tank. I know the previous owners and this will be the 2nd replacement tank - first one was done at no charge - the dealer is telling me that I have to pay the hour and half labor ($150) to have it installed and they won't let me do it myself. Anybody been charged to have their tank 'replaced'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 12:43 am
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
I just purchased a 2007 S4RS and it needs a new tank. I know the previous owners and this will be the 2nd replacement tank - first one was done at no charge - the dealer is telling me that I have to pay the hour and half labor ($150) to have it installed and they won't let me do it myself. Anybody been charged to have their tank 'replaced'?
That's total bullshit, tell them to show you in something official in writing where it says that labor isn't covered when replacing a fuel tank for defects.

Tell them you'll call the BBB or the local news and see what they have to say.
Hey, Call Ducati NA customer service... No, call the state dealership board. here's the number 512.479.0425

Better yet, go to another dealership. Man, I don't get how these guys think they they can screw everybody. It's a fucking warranty

If labor's not included they cant force you to use them. I know I'd be in there throwin a shit attack. God I'm glad we have a good dealership around here.

Hell. I know what it is, Ducati probably pays a half hour and they want an hour and a half to do the work.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; Nov 24th, 2011 at 12:51 am.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
That's total bullshit, tell them to show you in something official in writing where it says that labor isn't covered when replacing a fuel tank for defects.

Tell them you'll call the BBB or the local news and see what they have to say.
Hey, Call Ducati NA customer service... No, call the state dealership board. here's the number 512.479.0425

Better yet, go to another dealership. Man, I don't get how these guys think they they can screw everybody. It's a fucking warranty

If labor's not included they cant force you to use them. I know I'd be in there throwin a shit attack. God I'm glad we have a good dealership around here.

Hell. I know what it is, Ducati probably pays a half hour and they want an hour and a half to do the work.
I already contacted Zduc NA (via web site) and got a reply from Italy that it has been forwarded to the appropriate dept. The dealer has a great reputation - never heard of any issues so this really suprised me - will be interesting to see what the final outcome is - if it's not satisfactory I'll be shopping
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmitcong View Post
Yeah, I'm with you guys about the need to object. I will. Why would I want an f'n warranty and not a fix?

That said, you guys know that this is going nowhere. As someone said, the deal is stacked against us. Maybe there will be 100 objections. Big deal. There will be thousands where it will be put on the back burner and the important parties will get it just the way they intended. Non respondents side with the settlement. Law office happy and PM SpA happy that they contained the potential loss. Who's left now to complain? Game over.

The economy in most places stinks and has stunk for years. I can understand that they want to stop the bleeding, but I don't think this will do them any good in the long run. Maybe they don't care about the long run.

There's another chapter to go in here:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducat...n-private.html
You couldn't be more wrong.

The linked article shows how 1 woman completely stopped in its tracks a proposed US Coast Guard regulation ( as part of the CFR ). Now, that's an administrative action as opposed to a judicial action but nevertheless it proves that objecting does work if you do it correctly.

coordinate a uniform objection response and offer it up for people to copy / paste etc. It's a few minutes of your life - probably less than would be involved than reading the posts in this thread
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 1:42 pm

I just got the letter about the settlement. I've got a 2008 1098 and have not had any issue with my tank. I guess I'll just keep silent. But getting a metal tank would be cool.
Edit: I didn't even read the settlement paper.
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2011, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
^ this. not sure how much or how little it factored into my own buying/selling decisions but one thing is for certain, there are no Ducatis in my garage for the first time in over five years.

they need to get it together, and just not on the fuel tank front.
You were one of the guys I was talking about Obie! Happy Thanksgiving BTW!

2016 Panigale 959
2009 BMW HP2 Sport
1998 900SS/FE #118
1981 BMW R100RS
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2011, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
I think you have to be realistic here. You're not the original owner, and speaking as someone who's been in both motorcycle and automotive business, if you aren't buying new from their dealers you simply aren't on their radar and don't matter that much. Ducati are interested in selling new Ducati's, not facilitating the sale of used ones, period.

In this case, you're not the original owner, and you've got a bike that's at least three years out of factory warranty. Ducati have agreed to give you a new tank, which probably has a list price of $1500-2000, and asking you to pay $150. Personally I'd be thrilled to death, and as someone who has worked with many brands I can tell you that the vast majority of manufacturers would do absolutely nothing for you.

As I've posted in other threads about this issue, I've found Ducati to me incredibly responsive on a case-by-case basis in addressing these tank issues, and the post I've replied to is yet another example. The fear I have is that this class-action settlement establishes a "on size fits all" resolution to a complicated issue, and now Ducati will simply point to the settlement and comply to the minimum requirements of it.

My disappointment is that there still doesn't appear to be any fix for this and most of their current models being sold today will have similar failures. I love my Multistrada 1200, and the general consensus when I bought it at the beginning of the year was that it wouldn't be an issue for this model. It appears that wasn't true, and I'm not sure I would have bought it if I thought this was something I would have to potentially deal with, as my intention was to keep this bike for a long time.

2016 Panigale 959
2009 BMW HP2 Sport
1998 900SS/FE #118
1981 BMW R100RS
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2011, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I think you have to be realistic here. You're not the original owner, and speaking as someone who's been in both motorcycle and automotive business, if you aren't buying new from their dealers you simply aren't on their radar and don't matter that much. Ducati are interested in selling new Ducati's, not facilitating the sale of used ones, period.

In this case, you're not the original owner, and you've got a bike that's at least three years out of factory warranty. Ducati have agreed to give you a new tank, which probably has a list price of $1500-2000, and asking you to pay $150. Personally I'd be thrilled to death, and as someone who has worked with many brands I can tell you that the vast majority of manufacturers would do absolutely nothing for you.

As I've posted in other threads about this issue, I've found Ducati to me incredibly responsive on a case-by-case basis in addressing these tank issues, and the post I've replied to is yet another example. The fear I have is that this class-action settlement establishes a "on size fits all" resolution to a complicated issue, and now Ducati will simply point to the settlement and comply to the minimum requirements of it.

My disappointment is that there still doesn't appear to be any fix for this and most of their current models being sold today will have similar failures. I love my Multistrada 1200, and the general consensus when I bought it at the beginning of the year was that it wouldn't be an issue for this model. It appears that wasn't true, and I'm not sure I would have bought it if I thought this was something I would have to potentially deal with, as my intention was to keep this bike for a long time.
I would agree if that there was their policy and others had to pay the labor but I have yet to find one person who paid for their replacement and the settlement does not differentiate between original purchaser or present owner. If Ducati ever wants me to buy new they had better do the right thing or I will be excluding them from my shopping list. I've owned over 15 bikes in the past 25 years (worked myself in the industry) and the majority of them have been purchased new but there are dealships I will never set foot in again because of bad attitude or service.
I have no problem if Ducati comes back and says labor is not included but that had better be the way it's handled across the board. Why keep a bike that is only going to be covered for 18 months after the final settlement - it will kill resale and Ducati prides themselves on that - resale values will drop by $2K (cost of a metal replacement) across the board - basically if Ducati doesn't FIX the problem sales will falter.
Would you buy a vehicle if you knew that for 2 years a known recurring problem would be fixed but after that it's on your dime? Judging from the rest of your response you wouldn't either.
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Resident Raggamuffin

Thank you, Joseph, I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving holiday too.

2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, BMWs, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and a Thruxton R
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2011, 6:56 pm

I've never paid one cent for warranty work or recalls on any of my vehicles.

My dealer wouldn't have a problem with me pulling the tank, undressing it, and bringing it in for exchange. Why? Because Ducati pays the dealer labor to change out the tank, and he can just pocket that labor money without using shop time or paying a tech.

Charging $150 on top of the warranty labor allowance is just bogus. Ask the dealer to show you the factory service bulletin. It will spell out exactly what the procedure is, and will specify how much the dealer gets for labor.

'15 BMW R nine T
'10 Streetfighter S "Sleipnir"
'09 Kaw Versys
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode