Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

GT Mods, Clip ons, springs and shocks!

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Riderjeff 
#1 ·
Started the mods awhile ago and its been mostly fits and starts. Me throwing fits, and starts when parts show up and I have time to sneak out to the shop and wrench away.

Here's what was planed.
front suspension: Hyperpro Progressives from Sel motion
Rear suspension YSS 302-320 again from Sel motion
Bars, Clubmans from Old bike barn
14T front sprocket local dealer supplied
Touring Hugger from GT Rossi..
Gauge Lowering brackets ( currently unavailable :()
1/4 fairing from Omars dirt track racing ( still on back order)

I had made the decision to go with the shorter length shock to close the unsightly gap in the rear and after much measuring and Gnashing of teeth and speaking with folks who can really do math It was determined that I would realistically lose very little cornering clearance as long as the bike was sprung properly for my weight. ( again, its a street bike, not a track day bike)
The trade off is being able to easily maneuver the bike in a parking lot and garage. Since riding a smaller Monster I can tell you that this is priceless! I love My K1200s...But it is a PIG>:p

Done again I might go with 10MM longer in length, I dunno yet. Time will tell

After spending hours trying Clubmans on, off, On, Flat bars, Low bars, and a set of R100RS Bars ( closest to perfection for a bar for me, but a bit narrow) I determined that The Clubmans would be a bit to low unless I wanted to lose steering lock clearance, and the angle for my wrists was just all wrong.
But They do look neat!:D

Then a though hit me, why not use a set a 900SS clip ons? They are simple, wont clutter up the looks of the bike and have a mild rise and the angle is as close to perfection as I have found. I acquired a well used set.

After cleaning them with a wire wheel I planned on Powdercoating them black but the pretty metal turned a neat shade of plum that I just really liked. So I shot it with clear and mounted them!

I mounted the controls and left the risers in place for now. The plan is "If" the fairing arrives to mount a short section of straight bar in the risers and use that as a point to locate a Ram mount for GPS and radar detector, ( I may ride this bike for a saddle sore in June) I had wished to be able to remove the risers when not in use and just plug the holes, leaving a cleaner look.

Now the consideration of a steering dampener has come into play and I am stuck. seems the Wasp Sport version fork clamp wont clear the Long Tank on the GT. And I don't want to leave the Risers in Place all the time... GRRR>>
I am open to any suggestions here!

Now the suspension mods. Settling on the progressive fork springs and 15wt oil I left and going with a 120mm fill I think a bit more air gap may be in order. I will say that with the mods so far and the bike feels so much more precise and planted. Before it was a wandering soul, sort of lost and not composed at all, the rear YSS shocks are wonderful and I am sure with a bit of adjusting i will have them dialed in within a week or two.

The front is just a bit stiff, But that may not be a bad thing, it just really showed how badly this bike NEEDS a steering Dampner. It is not at all composed, the little irregularities make me nervous in a way that my 900ss and monster do not.

All In all, I am happy so far, Doing the dampener, adding the fairing will be next, then paint work!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Absolutely,
I thought about the Newer style sport classic clip ons, and these cost me $20 and the wrist angle is actually a bit more comfortable for me. It was sort of a wash, although I do like the more classic style look of the 900ss clip on. Nice welds, not cast.

The risers will be used with a short section of straight bar to mount accessories such as a GPS and maybe a camera and Radar detector. The challenge is which steering dampener to use? If I use Wasps I will have to retain the risers unless someone has a better idea.

#5 ·
Did you try the Hyperpro springs with the original 7.5 wt oil? I'm hoping to fit my new springs this weekend and will use them without changing the oil at first to make a comparison. Did you find that the Hyperpros were a real improvement? What sort of tool did you make to fit the fork top nuts?

#6 ·
I don't want to hijack the original poster, but I thought I'd share the tool that I'm using:

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=OTC6613&source=froogle&kw=OTC6613

FWIW, I put in hyperpro progressive springs in my GT1000. I used 15w oil and like them a lot. Not too stiff. I've tried the racetech 1kg springs as well with both 15w oil and 7w oil and they were great on perfect roads but terribly bumpy on a particular bumpy section of freeway I go on with the 15w oil and bumpy and dangerous in a way that made me order a steering damper with the 7w oil.

The hyperpros handle the bumps better and get adequately stiff when compressing into a turn. I didn't try them with the lighter oil but I'm running them w/ 15w and I'm done messing with my forks (for now).

Great mods, by the way, Jester.

#7 ·
By all means! share what you have... Neat find for the tool. Much cleaner than the homemade Jobbie I cobbled together.

May I ask what level you settled on for oil? I went with 120mm and it may be a bit on the stiff side if anything. Still it is leaps and bound better than what was there stock, well worth the measly cost and time to do.

I ordered a TMSD from Wasp and will have to wait to see how the bike settles in before pushing it any further.

#9 ·
May I ask what level you settled on for oil? I went with 120mm and it may be a bit on the stiff side if anything.
I experimented with several levels and currently have 108mm in there. Note that I weigh 250 lbs. If anything, find it a little on the soft side, but I have 31mm of sag in the front end now and it handles well so I'm going to run it for a while and see.

#10 ·
...the Wasp Sport version fork clamp wont clear the Long Tank on the GT. And I don't want to leave the Risers in Place all the time... GRRR>>
i didn't think that the front of the tanks were all that different - did wasp tell you this himself? otherwise i'd strongly suggest trying to make the sport version of the wasp tmsd work as it's a great piece of kit and works wonderfully. the new, smaller bitubo damper may let you get away with it.

#13 ·
jester, very nice job! Thanks for the info and pics, I do share many of your thoughts

I have the 'cheap bastard' 1/4 fairing from emgo and it looks ok and does a great job (1.500 km ride this weekend to see motogp at Jerez)... but Omar's is the best-looking! and with clip-ons will fit much better than with stock handlebar.

Please, let us know how you fit the fairing cause I may go this way someday.(but probably with a low-old-bar instead of clipons)

I'll also get a pair of YSS (probably the new model 362), but I was thinking of 360mm, lowering 20mm. 320 looks to me too much, but I'll be glad to hear your ride reports and reconsider this issue.

15wt oil in the forks looks stiff!, stock is 7,5 and I always thought it was over dampered... but if you feel it ok, thats what you need.

Also have in mind the steering damper but don't like the sel-motion look in our retro bikes. wasp at this moment is pricy for me. sorry no help in that

#17 · (Edited)
Those Wilbers look nice. Do you have Wilbers springs in the forks Roger?

There is a guy over here who does good deals on Wilbers kit, he's already dropped hints to me but I'm keeping my GT suspension standard whilst I get to know the bike better. I'm concentrating my investments on fuel & road miles for now!

Edit: Just seen your thread regarding the track day. Now I know you have adjustable Showas at the front!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.