Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - SF tank expansion poll
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:17 pm Thread Starter
SquireSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Look, I'll be honest, I only see a few slight issues in your pictures. They don't clearly show any contact with the triple clamp
and the shot of the top carbon piece just means the carbon piece doesn't fit well...

The wrinkle on the sides are not good but I think you're going a bit overboard on this topic. I hope Ducati replaces your tank for you and they should
but I think the severity of this problem is being blown out of proportion.

My tank fits tight and has a gouge from the rad bracket but it has had that from new and it hasn't changed, I'd guess that most fit that way.
I don't think that is an indication of the tank swelling. I have a clean linear gap between the forks/triple clamp and my tank.

The bottom line is that it is a cosmetic issue for most of us (it's certainly more than cosmetic for the SC owners) and I don't think
Ducati would be able to replace all of the tanks on every bike since they began using plastic.

Ducati needs to find a solution to this problem and stop using the current materials in the production of their gas tanks NOW.
And they need to replace the tanks that are more severe.
1) The top triple slams into the tank on both sides now. There used to be a 3mm gap all around, but now it hits. Enough that if you push it to the actual steering lock, it presses the plastic of the tank in about 3mm, and is gouging into the paint, or would of I had not put a thin later of tape on the triple.

2) The carbon key cover, did fit perfectly. Now it has several mm showing all around, it is off center, and the brace for the steering damper has chewed into it 2mm.

3) If I remove the tank for any reason, I won't get it back on. The Ducati technician has a bitch of a time getting it back on and nearly stripped the bolt hole in the frame because it is almost impossible to get the bolt in without cross-threading it.

4) If it keeps expanding, at some point the paint, which is now distorted, will crack and start coming off.

So it isn't "just cosmetic", it is a serious problem with a 7 month old bike that I paid top dollar for, and Ducati needs to address it.

- 2009 Ducati 1198
- 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome