best Hyper companion- used, sub $5K bike? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 3:34 pm   #1 (permalink)
Confirmed Addict

best Hyper companion- used, sub $5K bike?

Long story short, but the dept. of homeland security has issued clearance to purchase a companion to my 2008 Hyper S. I love the versatility of my current steed (keeping it), but spice is the variety of life. Or... other way around? *

*- unless you are married to Posh Spice

What sort of fun can I buy for under $5K (limit has to do with corresponding price for wife bling)?

-I have about 18 months of experience, so no Hyabusas for me
-Most of my rides are to Alice's (curvy mountain roads) once a weekend, and to work once a week (3.2 miles OW, but I take the long way, if there are no AM meetings)
-I would like to take an overnighter with a couple of friends
-Maint and resale value are not critical.

Stuff I looked at:

-I am tempted by vintage stuff, but I am not sure if the warm up for my short rides, lack of safety features/ drum brakes would be a good thing
(Early 70s Triumphs, Moto Guzzi Eldorado, and early 70s Bimmers strike my fancy. Even a vintage Italian bike, sub 200cc.... for the Moto Giro jaunt)

-I am not a Harley guy, but I do like the VRod and the Nighster. Could be a little too expensive, as they are closer to 8K, used.

-Late model Bimmers are nice. My first ride ever was an F800ST. I also look at old police bikes on CL, like the 1150RT P. ABS might be nice, as would water cooling. Even the flying brick bikes are kinda neat. I do appreciate the rock solid feel and the shaft drive is like butter, compared to the herky, jerky Hyper.

-This would be one way to try a sport bike. An early 2000s 900ss would not be as extreme as a modern superbike, and perhaps my wrists could take it. This way...I could try to the sports bike experience, without going all in. They are supposed to do OK in an urban. stop/go environment.

-I will not likely become a MX fan in my 40s, but I will sign up for a class in San Jose. I would rule out these dirt-only machines.

As you can see....I am all over the place and in need of professional guidance, if not counseling.
+afflicted with "Mad Car Disease", too
v12gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 4:32 pm   #2 (permalink)

get a dirt bike and sling supermoto wheels and rubber on it. learn to ride like rossi and take trips in the dirt too. you'll learn more riding skills on a dirtbike in a month than a road bike in a year.
PedroHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 4:35 pm   #3 (permalink)

Take a look at a Suzuki SV650. I buzz around on my 900SS and my dad on his SV650, he has no issue keeping up so its plenty peppy. The SV is more comfortable than my 900 btw.
ament001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 5:07 pm   #4 (permalink)

I agree with the others above... the SV650 or a lightweight supermoto bike are
a lot of fun for the money. A really nice used SV650 can be had for around $4k.

Used SM's are all over the map, pricewise, but I tend to like the deals where
the guy bought it and never really used it, which are more common than you
might think with _any_ kind of bike or rec. vehicle. The one negative of big
singles is vibrations. I like the big-inch KTM's but they do vibrate quite a bit
(other than the newer KTM 690 engine models which are not commonly traded
under $5k). Supermotos are the new commuter bikes! Try one and see. Not so
good for overnighters but you can put a bag on the Hyper for that.

As PedroHM mentioned, you will learn more/faster on a lightweight, flickable bike
than on a more intimidating lump of big iron. Supermoto bikes are designed to
be dropped and picked back up... your day isn't over if you drop one, especially
wearing good gear. Learning new techniques involves taking a certain amount
of risk, and dirtbikes don't discourage that behaviour to the degree a pricey
Italian steed can tend to discourage it. The street cornering ability of
a Supermoto is astounding.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 5:50 pm   #5 (permalink)
Confirmed Addict

Thanks.

I heard good things about the SV560....and I could beat on it.
Supermotos are appealing, too.

I am of course getting distracted by the more quirky stuff (very different from the Hypermotard). Like this Aprilia Futura....

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1458159804.html
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 6:08 pm   #6 (permalink)

DRZ400SM can be had for dirt cheep. With the 440 bore kit and FCR carb they can also be scary fast in the twisties. Ive learned to love rds like Tunitas creek and Stage because of my DRZ. Im still a bit quicker on it on those rds then i am my Hyper.

Over all they are a pretty versatile bike and quite off road capable. The huge downfall of the bike is they suck ass on the freeway for long rides.
reynolds_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 6:48 pm   #7 (permalink)

A Honda Interceptor VFR800 might be a good companion. Would be great for any overnighters that you are planning and you can still rip the twisties. Way more comfortable than a 600 super sport. Just a thought.
WMRRA #621
2000 996

2010 SFS

Ducati Bellevue
Darren Beatty Photography
MOTOWHEELS
AMSOIL
Spy Optic
Mountain Khakis
richmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 6:49 pm   #8 (permalink)
Another fine PT design

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12gte
-I am tempted by vintage stuff, but I am not sure if the warm up for my short rides, lack of safety features/ drum brakes would be a good thing
.... early 70s Bimmers strike my fancy ....

-Late model Bimmers are nice .... I also look at old police bikes on CL, like the 1150RT P. ABS might be nice ......
DISCLAIMER: Hope this post is within the forum rules; providing CL links as examples. I have no affiliation with any of these sellers.

With that out of the way .... 70's BMW's are indeed very nice, but you've already mentioned the low-points. A very good alternative would be the '92 - '95 R100R which has a vintage look and feel, but comes equipped with great brakes (rebatched Brembo's in combination with floating SS disc(s)) and para-lever. There's a very affordable one currently on CL: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1457492165.html
This one has, unfortunately, only one disc in the front wheel, but a 2nd disc and caliper are not hard to find (same front end as the later brick bikes).

And why opt for an old police bike; you can find lower mileage RT's for about the same price: http://sacramento.en.craigslist.org/mcy/1461506281.html

I am biased (see signature) but I think a late airhead would be a perfect fit. And would also work really well for overnighters with friends:

(yup, that's my tent @ 2008 Harvest Classic Rally in Luckenbach, TX and my '95 R100R Classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmeyer
A Honda Interceptor VFR800 might be a good companion. Would be great for any overnighters that you are planning and you can still rip the twisties. Way more comfortable than a 600 super sport. Just a thought.
Another good suggestion. And if you are able to stretch your budget a little bit .... some dealers still have brand new '07 Interceptors, even the 25th Anniversary Edition and are selling those for ca $7.5K

Good luck; what a great problem to have. Now is a great time to buy.

RonB
Mhe225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 6:52 pm   #9 (permalink)

Just went through the same issue

Bought a used Buell for 2500 dollars, 90 hp and 70 ftlbs of torque.
This is what I call my "Brother inlaw bike" I can let my friends ride with me and keep up with my Hyper without worrying about damages. This is really a cheap bike for the amount of power it has. I put different bars on it and it almost has the same seating position as my hyper.

I now have a 42mmHSR carb for it that might close the Hyper gap!!
Proarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 7:00 pm   #10 (permalink)
Confirmed Addict

That is a lovely machine, indeed. Love the black, with the white pinstriping. And the ergos look pretty good, too.

(yup, that's my tent @ 2008 Harvest Classic Rally in Luckenbach, TX and my '95 R100R Classic)

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement