'12 1100 EVO SP Low RPM Issues - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Garage
'12 1100 EVO SP Low RPM Issues

Okay,

So I bought my Hyper at the end of last month, got it plated, and rode it around a little. It was running a little rough at idle and low RPMs with a little bit of an occasional surge. I wanted to get it checked out and a couple things fixed from the previous owner anyway, so I took it to a mechanic that was recommended by a forum member. I ended up having all the fluids replaced including oil filter, the throttle bodies synched, a thorough check over for safety and problems, and a few other minor things done. Also, in an attempt to fix the surging, I had him swap in the stock ecu (it had a DP ecu installed). After a couple weeks at the mechanic, I got it back yesterday. It stalled a few times in the lot before I rode it away, but the mechanic said it just needed to relearn idle. On the way home(I live about an hour away), it still didn't feel right. There are a lot of vibrations at low RPMs and is still stalling off of idle, though the stalling seems to improve after it warms up. It sounds a little lopey and pops more than would seem normal. It has good giddy up at high rpms, so this only seems like a low speed problem.

After reading up a bit on here, it seems like suggestions for this type of problem at TB synch, which was done, TPS reset, which it looks like this bike does automatically on startup(?), idle fuel trim setting adjustment and/or air bleed adjustment.

I'm a little miffed that the mechanic didn't get this straightened out. My servicing I had done wasn't cheap, and now it looks like I may have to pay more to get it done. Should I call the mechanic up and see if he is willing to make it right? Take it somewhere else?

Any suggestions/advice?

2012 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP
2017 Z125 Pro 2017 KLX 140L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 10:48 am

Why did you swap ECU's back to stock? Do you not have the exhaust system installed? Not sure about the
relearning"of idle. What bike did you come from? There is a uniqueness to the bottom end of the 2 valve motors that does feel odd at first. If you are not planning to change performance equipment on your bike I would re-map the stock ECU and sell the DP one, you may come close to breaking even. I went with a Rexxer map and could not be happier.

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Garage
Previous owner had dealer install Termignoni exhaust with ECU. Either way both ECUs feel about the same to me. My previous bikes in no particular order: Yamaha RX-50, Kawasaki Z125, Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki KLR 650, Kawasaki KLX 140L. Also spent some time on my late father's Sportster. None felt nearly this bad at low speeds. I'm trying to find a local rider to take it for a spin to make sure I am not crazy. But if this is normal at low speeds, I don't see myself holding onto it for long unless I get used to it.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Don't give up yet! Once sorted this is the most fun machine on two wheels! The 2V motor is a blast to ride and really is the workhorse of the brand. ReMap for around 300 dollars, sell the DP Ecu and you will have fixed the problem.

Although your tech was recommended to you I would wonder why he changed out the ECU, certainly he would know that was probably not the issue. I also have some doubt about his thought that the ECU will re learn the idle position. Perhaps others have some insight but I don't believe that this happens. What he did for you were positive checks but why it took two weeks I don't understand. It shouldn't be more than a few hours, how many HRS did he charge you for? I purchased a 2010 EVO SP that was running a little rough as well but a day on the bench checking some minor things and the re-map has me convinced this bike will remain in the stable until I stop riding.

Some things that you can inspect just to check off the list. First, the bike is extremely sensitive to battery voltage, make sure you have a solid battery in there and that terminals are tight. Neutral safety switch at the back of the motor can often be loose and causing intermittent connection, pull it off, tighten the connector a bit and reinstall making sure it is properly seated.

Keep the faith!

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, I will look into this remap thing. The engine sounds and feels great when I can open it up. But that joy is cancelled out by dealing with the chugging when I am in traffic or on slow roads.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 4:00 pm
Tightly Clenched...

Make sure to keep the revs up at low speeds, the big v-twin doesn't feel good/work well when being lugged in a higher gear at city speeds. Looking at the other bikes you've owned/ridden it may just be a matter of modifying your riding style? Hopefully...

It seems odd to change out the DP ECU if in fact you have exhaust and airbox mods, poor fuelling down low is a very common complaint that is usually fixed by the Termi pipe/ECU installation combo. I can only imagine going back to standard with the mods still in place wouldn't make things better at all.

These bikes are so cool. I used to own a 2011 EVO which I sold, regretted it ever since so re-bought the same model this weekend lol. Only the second time I've ever bought the same bike...
bcmonster likes this.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I'm probably going to swap the DP ECU back in and see how it runs for awhile.

I took it out on a short ride an hour ago and it didn't seems as bad. In first gear it has a tendency to sputter just a bit like it is getting lean, even up into higher RPMs. Not intolerable, but it doesn't feel right to me. Also, going down a hill using engine braking if I crack the throttle ever so slightly it pops like crazy.

I was trying to pay close attention to everything, and I think that at least some of the roughness may be perceived due to the sound of the clutch. That's one thing I'm DEFINATELY not used to, but I like it. As long as the stalling improves, I think I can live with it even as is. But the sputter and stalling are certainly issues I want fixed if possible.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Quite often the popping you are hearing on de cel originates from exhaust leaks. You might benefit from taking the system off and using an exhaust sealant on all the joints. As Satansfist said, the motor likes some revs, under 3500 is not it's happy place.
jahjah likes this.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 6:09 pm
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

Definitely put the performance ECU back in it as the factory tuning is already very lean as-is. By running the stock tuning with the open exhaust and airbox lid, you've leaned it out even more and it's not going to be very happy about that- in fact it's probably awful. If didn't stall before, it is probably the reason it started doing it when you picked it up after your mechanic put the stock ECU back in it.

Put some miles on it, adjust your RPMs, and you'll also get used to the clutch in a little time too.

If you want to take it a step further, purchase a PC5 and have the bike dyno tuned by a professional who knows Ducatis; it will turn it into a totally different animal.

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l Antigravity Battery l 190/55 Rear l
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2017, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Okay. I will stick the DP ECU back in tomorrow. Is that just remove the right fairing, a few bolts and plug and play?

I'm not looking for a super performance machine(yet), I just want it to be fairly smooth when I'm tooling around on it. I'm more than happy with the ridiculous amounts of acceleration it puts out for now when those opportunities arise. Bear in mind my most powerful bike before this was a KLR 650. This power is a new experience for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode