Scarico Tronco-cona install nightmare - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Scarico Tronco-cona install nightmare

Hi Hypers:

When Ducati announced the air cooled 796 Hypers were done, I went out and bought a steering damper and custom exhaust, because I figured the aftermarket items would quickly disappear.

I looked through the pics on your sticky and bought the Scarico 2 into 1 because it was cheap and got the hot pipe away from my butte. And then I got busy and left it all in a box. Some years went by, then my CO2 tire bottle exploded from the heat on a long fire road. The fanny pack tools went all over, and a hole was punched in my tail light. I was saved by my BMW leathers, which kept a screwdriver out of my back.

Now that I had an excuse to remove the Ducati exhaust, I set about the install this weekend. Here are the instructions:

"ALL THE MOUNTING OPERATIONS MUST BE DONE BY SPECIALIZED PERSONNEL." No other instructions or even a picture of the completed unit was included. The picture on their website looks like a HM1100.

So, now I have a relatively rare bike with an even rarer aftermarket kit. Hindsight is 20-20, as the saying goes. I looked on You tube and saw nothing.

It looks like the major technical issue is that Scarico intends for you to remove the engine mounting bolts to install the new brackets. Any hints on that would be appreciated. I sure hope to avoid pulling the engine. I was just going to loosen the 8mm hex mounting bolts and see if I could wedge in the brackets.

The other issue is the new tail light setup: They gave me some odd stuff that does not seem to fit anywhere. I've not posted any pictures here, but if somebody thinks they can help --I will learn. On Thumper Talk, they force you to Bit Bucket for all pictures.

You would think that somebody else would have already been through this grinder, but I saw nothing helpful in several searches. A link to better pictures or HOW TO would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe in Buckley, WA
2010 HM 796
and a garage full of Honda dirt bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 5:01 am

Without pictures, it is hard to offer advice. Pulling an engine mount is no big deal. Don't be "wedging" anything. The mystery bracket most likely has a hole for the engine mount bolt to pass through.

Lastly, do you wrench? If pulling wrenches isn't your thing, I can see where this could be daunting.
Exhaust systems can be challenging but they're simple and just takes some thought.

Pictures baby!

Is this it?

https://static1.wrs.sm/216736-thickb...motard-796.jpg

or this?

https://static1.wrs.sm/216735-large_...motard-796.jpg

My search brought me to QD exhaust. There is a picture of a Hyper 796 with a Scario 2-1. (Scarico Tronco-cono) Is this it?

https://www.designcorse.com/collecti...d-796-tri-cone

Do you Search?

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO

Last edited by sarcasmo; Mar 21st, 2017 at 5:17 am.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 11:15 am Thread Starter

Pictures baby

Thanks sarcasmo,

This link shows a GPR exhaust installed, which says made my Scarico, so I don't understand why mine is different. Maybe I got a Europe only design?

Anyway, the links you gave all look the same to me. My design seem the same and I can't tell details in the brackets from the pictures. Mine fits together just like the GPR design in the video.

The video makes light of the support brackets. Nothing is shown about the left side at all. My brackets seem sized to bolt directly to the engine mounts. It should make a strong setup. And the video did explain the installation of the flexible bracket around the muffler body.

I bolted on the two black brackets on the rear where they fit. (First photo). But that leaves the rest of the odd stuff in the third photo to be explained.

I've done a fair amount of wrenching, but all on Honda, and Ducatis seem built like a watch compared to Honda bikes.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0691.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	801185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	801193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	801201  

Joe in Buckley, WA
2010 HM 796

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 1:12 pm

Hey Joe,

Outstanding reply. I see what you're talking about. Definitely a puzzle.

Scarico Tronco-cono translates to Trunk-cone Exhaust. So you have a GPR not a QD or what I thought was a QD Scarico Tronco-cono.

I have a Zard header on my 1100 EVO. The dog bone shaped link/bracket that is shown in the beginning of the video you shared, which is a stock Ducati part, wouldn't line up with the Zard. I made mention of it to the shop who did a rebuild on my engine and the re-assembly of the motor into the bike.

They told me that there are times, regardless of aftermarket manufacturer, that the brackets will not line up. Some are worse that others.
That being said I didn't use the stock dog bone link on my Zard header. No issues after a season of riding.

The more you work on Ducati's, the better you'll like your Honda's.

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO

Last edited by sarcasmo; Mar 21st, 2017 at 1:56 pm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 9:57 am Thread Starter

The Devil in the Ducati?

Thanks for the encouragement. As the "Ducatistas" in the bike magazines expound--Ducatis are all handmade. My 2010 production run could have contained a dozen significant mods.

I am encouraged by the video that GPR used the original hanger on the right and nothing on the left. If I can't get the left one mounted, I won't worry about it.

And it looks like they used a funky spacer on the muffler strap. I might find one of those odd parts to fit there.

The tail end should be able to be put back together with my tin snips, files and custom brackets. I just ordered a tail light with turn signals, so it would change even if I had perfect instructions.

I made the dealer give me the maintenance CD when I purchased the bike. This was in Bellevue, WA. He winced. "Ducati owners don't usually work on their bikes." He sold Kawasakis too.

So I decided to clean the air filter while I was waiting for parts.
I still have not recovered--underneath the gas tank. Incredible.

But the little bike is a sweet devil on tight roads. But I gave up on the sticky tires, so promised myself to slow down this year.

Joe in Buckley, WA
2010 HM 796
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode