Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Saving up to buy Hypermotard... Again

11K views 75 replies 17 participants last post by  Austen 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here I find myself again, lusting for a bike that at one point I had and was very happy with. Three years later, a wonderful wife, and a 2 year old boy, I feel like I can rekindle my want for something of my own cause see, I rode around on a 796 that I loved hauling my gf at the time, now wife, around but she has bad knees due to playing soccer and track for 6 years so the shorts trips we took had a lot of breaks and stops. So we upgraded to my current 12' 1200s Touring so we could ride more and for longer. Then a year later we were pregnant and I had to say bye to one of them and having just gotten the Multistrada I had to say goodbye to the baby Hyper.

I am not seeing as many 08-12 aircooled machines so im going this route to relive my happy happy days I remember so much. Prices are pretty darn affordable and there are some very clean examples out there.

Will keep the thread updated with the latest, hopefully I can find something that gives me as big a smile as my old one did. Cheers!>:)

See less See more
#4 ·
It'll be nice to have you back.

I know how you feel about the Hyper though, there are just some bikes that get under your skin and stay with you long after you've moved on. I had that experience with my Aprilia RS250, I know I'd have it with the Hyper so I'm never going to sell it. At least you can still get 2V Hypers for sane money. Around here, a good RS250 costs about the same as when it was new (the only reason I haven't already bought another one).

#5 ·
I have a 796 and it has been flawless. I think about other bikes but I always come back to how happy I am with the little Hyper. I think when the time does come to move on I am just going to push her to the back of the garage, it just wont be worth selling with so many miles and good memories!:wink2:

Welcome back to the Hyper family!

#9 ·
Well here I find myself again, lusting So we upgraded to my current 12' 1200s Touring so we could ride more and for longer. Then a year later we were pregnant and I had to say bye to one of them and having just gotten the Multistrada I had to say goodbye to the baby Hyper.
A lot of "WE 's There...
I like the We were pregnant...

A little keeping the squeeky wheel greased makes bike ownership a bit less one sided.

Priorities in order, a good thing,
The mistake you (scuse me YOUS made) was selling the bike in the first place.
Now think ahead a bit and ask "What are the kids going to ride when they get older ?" If you thought that way (proper way of thinking in my mind) a while ago you wouldn't be in the pickle of replacing a well loved bike this go round.

NEVER sell Ducatis , specially the ones you really like...
Who can argue that?

OH yeah have fun!

Reactions: complexCarlo
#10 · (Edited)
Good deal! It hasn't been the same in this section without you being here without a Hyper.

Glad you're also getting an air cooled one again. Oh yeah, go for an 1100 too!

Keep us posted! :)

#11 ·
Went to check out this beauty today. Very tastefully modded, low miles, meticulously maintained and cleaned. Now, its not mine as of yet but I havent seen any other bike that really pulls me as much as this one. Hopefully can pull the trigger on a purchase this month!

#12 ·
Went to check out this beauty today. Very tastefully modded, low miles, meticulously maintained and cleaned. Now, its not mine as of yet but I havent seen any other bike that really pulls me as much as this one. Hopefully can pull the trigger on a purchase this month!
Damn nice find! Good luck!

#14 · (Edited)
SA-WEEEET!!! Congrats man, an SP too!!! :) It looks like it's already outfitted nicely.

You're going to love it!!!!

#16 ·
Drove it an hour and some home today. Dude I had to slow down!! It has the VStacks and with the full exhaust it will put you on the back seat, wtf!!>:) 3rd gear power wheelies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Well done on the find @complexCarlo, and welcome back to the world of 2v Hypers!
Thank you sir! Ready for track season.

Reactions: Austen
#17 ·
As promised;

Unedited imaged just so you guys get the gist. The bike is clean clean clean. Ordered another clutch cover. The Speedymoto was a bit much, gonna play it conservatively when it comes to its exposure.

Also thinking about some cargo space, maybe tank or tail bag? Just something to carry a lunch or enough for the occasional beer run :)

Have a great week everyone!

#19 ·
Drove it an hour and some home today. Dude I had to slow down!! It has the VStacks and with the full exhaust it will put you on the back seat, wtf!! 3rd gear power wheelies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Ha Ha Ha!!! You're feeling it brother!!!!! Yeah, it's an animal, huh!?? :grin2: The noise, and the acceleration beg you to keep going and going for more. :grin2:

Unedited imaged just so you guys get the gist. The bike is clean clean clean. Ordered another clutch cover. The Speedymoto was a bit much, gonna play it conservatively when it comes to its exposure.

Also thinking about some cargo space, maybe tank or tail bag? Just something to carry a lunch or enough for the occasional beer run

Good golly almighty, those are some fine photos!!! Beautiful bike!!!! I swear there are not enough photos of 1st gens here.

It sure looks like new and the photos look like they could be in a brochure. You, my friend, have found yourself a sexy bike that is a true keeper. :wink2:

Also thinking about some cargo space, maybe tank or tail bag? Just something to carry a lunch or enough for the occasional beer run
Wish I could help ya there as I normally wear a pack if I need to carry anything. I've had this photo saved on my computer for a long time as I've always thought this would be a decent option if I were to ever get a small bag though.

You too man! Lucky you and your nice weather where can just take a ride whenever you want. It's snowing outside here.

#20 ·
I swear there are not enough photos of 1st gens here.

It sure looks like new and the photos look like they could be in a brochure. You, my friend, have found yourself a sexy bike that is a true keeper. :wink2:
This is very true. My main reason for wanting to keep it air cooled is because the 1st gen is such a good looker!

Wish I could help ya there as I normally wear a pack if I need to carry anything. I've had this photo saved on my computer for a long time as I've always thought this would be a decent option if I were to ever get a small bag though.

I think something like this could work. I was looking at some Kriega set ups. Maybe even Wolfman?

You too man! Lucky you and your nice weather where can just take a ride whenever you want. It's snowing outside here.
Actually its pissing rain here and im leaving Wednesday to the east coast for work. Wont be back till the end of the month pretty much. Hoping it will be sunny cali skies by then! Enjoy the snow! :grin2:

#22 ·
Going to do a bit more research but I think im going to go with the 10L Kriega bag with a tank adapter. Just wondering if the adapter is going to be annoying to flap open when I have to fill up.

#23 ·
Hey guys! Figured I would just update this thread instead of flooding the swamp with more boring pictures.

I just got back from a long 3 week trip and in the process kept myself busy by making the Hyper my own! Below are just a few touches Ive made to get me and this beauty to where we are headed!

EvoTech Oil Cooler Guard! Almost a must with how crazy expose this thing is.

CRG Carbon Levers! Always been a fan of the shorty levers. Stepped it up a notch with the CF :)

TechSpec tank grips! All of my bikes have had them. Great for squeezing the bike.

Reactions: Austen
#24 ·
...continued

Shorty Ram Mount. So I can switch on and off between this and my Stroodle.

OE Mirrors. Ditched the Rizoma and went back to stock. Was missing the ball beating and screw to the left so had to buy the whole mirror. Thankfully eBay to the rescue as I found this one for $60!

Wolfman Peak Tailbag. Just wanted something simple to mount and use. Love the Kriega but it was a bit much. This fits the bill just fine.

Thats all for now :)

#25 ·
Nice additions and changes! It's always great to make a motorcycle your own like that. I like that you went back to the stock mirror setup and the oil cooler guard is a nice peace of mind as well. I'll bet the new levers feel great! I've always loved the feel of CRGs.

Any places in particular you're planning to ride it this year or just locally? :)

#26 ·
Any places in particular you're planning to ride it this year or just locally? :)
It being a Hypermotard its hard to really plan long distance trips especially when you also own a sports touring bike. I do see myself potentially doing some cali exploring. Maybe socal? Already been up as far as Humbolt county on the stroodle. :grin2:

Reactions: HyperJB
#29 ·
Cool pic!

I know what you mean. Still cold and rainy here. Next month though and we should be beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel though here at least.

#31 ·
Sometimes I can really get annoyed with California. The truth is that I love this city and its worth putting up with its "leaders". Thats California living for ya!
I know exactly what you mean.

Beautiful pics! I especially like the first one. The red with the white SP striping is simply gorgeous. :smile2:

How do you like the 14/43 gearing you mentioned it has?

#32 ·
How do you like the 14/43 gearing you mentioned it has?
The gearing is almost always ready for a hand full of torque. Meaning I dont need to down shift, digging for it. Its at my disposal 90% of the time with the other 10% being in 6th gear. But even then if youre cruising around 80ish you'll still pull good.

But this bike man... I havent been able to keep the front wheel down on a single ride since Ive owned it. Its even harder when you just want to show off, let that old gentlemen that stopped riding what hes missing out on, or that youngster that gives you the universal wheelie sign. You just grin and pull a 12o'clock (more like 1 or 2 for me) and let it ride.

Btw not sure if you noticed but I switched it up a bit...

Diggin' it. Cheers mate!

#33 ·
We had an '08 1100S for awhile. That thing was so fun in urban driving......no make that stupid fun. Wasn't great on the top end but anything below 90mph os so it was perfect. Around DFW we have so many freeways its hard to get out of town sometimes. Only thing we did was put a small windscreen on for wind blast. Other than that. Bike was perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.