An encounter with a couple of Harley "tough" guys - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2016, 10:40 pm Thread Starter
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

Talking An encounter with a couple of Harley "tough" guys

Disclaimer: This in no way is to put down Harley riders or the brand. In fact, my father and I have owned and ridden them for years so it is not mean to be a bashing thread. Please don't turn it into one.

That said, however, the ego behind some of these riders is something to behold.

I had the liberty of talking with a couple of Harley riders recently and it was amusing and almost scary how oblivious and or ignorant they are to any other type of bike. One of them was telling me how nobody can keep up with him in the corners on his Road Glide.... yes, I'm serious.. in the corners. What type of corners we talking, right? Among other things such as telling me how he can't keep the front end down he asked "does it corner?" Out of all the questions you could ask, you ask if it corners?? I mean, with all the knowledge he's trying to lead me to think he possess about motorcycles he can't take the sliders and slicks into consideration that it might be made for cornering? To me it was like asking a Harley rider if their bike tours well. He was then talking about how his ape hangers aid in this great handling and that he can do all this while comfortably fully stretched out on his forward pegs. Of course I'm just silently looking at his footpegs that are just a few inches from the ground. They asked what CC it was and after shortly saying "1100" it was completely obvious to them that I may have just as well said "it's a 250." Boy, they were certain on their mother's life they could walk all over my bike after they found out it's 'only' an 1100. Boy, if you should've been there they were almost laughing at that point. As I said, it may as well be a detuned 250 to them. Party over. Go home. I basically just kept my mouth shut the entire time and said "uh-huh" and listened because it was too ridiculous to even argue. What they were saying and where their minds were would simply be futile to try and interject with some common sense. I'm not one to stoop to that level. When it came to the CC size question though, I had to just to go on record (primarily) out the sake of shear sanity and said, "1100cc's in a chassis that weighs well under 400lbs makes for a pretty exciting ride."

The best part was that one did, surprisingly, provide an honest number of the estimated HP of his bike. He mentioned that his Road Glide makes somewhere around 85-90HP with his engine mods which was a fully built, fire breathing motor according to him. Well, he may actually be right as that's about what a hopped up HD makes anyway. I believe he truly thought that something as 'small' as an 1100cc probably makes less than 50HP so that "huge" number that he gave would've sounded like 200HP to me in the world of motorcycle HP. I almost lost it when I thought about the power to wait ratios of each. I couldn't believe the ignorance or that this didn't come close to crossing their minds.

Not every Harley rider is like that and truthfully, you'll find a lot of "those" guys in really any type of bike class that out there. Sad, but it's the truth. The ignorance and the self-enhancement that come out of some though, as I said, can be something to be-told though.

I don't know, the two bikes are so worlds apart that you really can't even compare them. I just couldn't do that. It would be basically the same thing if I went to them and told them how well the HM is at long distance touring and bragged about the completely awesome fuel range and wind protection that I get.

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l 190/55 Rear l

Last edited by Austen; Dec 30th, 2016 at 10:49 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 9:21 am

Garage
Ah. You ran into "those guys". The ones that eat and breath the HD lifestyle. There is no other bike in the world to them and they only know HD. You don't ride a "real bike", so you are nothing to their superiority.

Every group has these people and they are all annoying. The sad part is, if they would open their eyes to other things, they might actually learn something.

'99 Ducati 996s #5, '08 Hypermotard
'07 Yamaha FZ1, '13 Kawasaki Ninja 300se
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 10:56 am

Garage
We have a lot of those type here. I call 'em "pirate cosplayers". H'aaarrley-Davidson mateys! I work at a dealership and we recently had a Harley guy come in, wanting to trade in his Street Glide on "something with more power". He was open to other brands, remarkably. We allow test rides, so we put 'em on the new Moto Guzzi MGX-21. He immediately opened it up and sped off. Came back in less than 5 minutes, said it had no power and rode like a tricycle. (he had it in rain mode, Veloce mode literally spins the back wheel at 70 mph on that bike. I know, I've done it.). I switched modes for the guy but he didn't want to sit back on it, "it's nothing more than an eye-talian toy". Up next, Triumph Rocket III Roadster. It's only 2300 cc's. He takes off on that, gone for 20 minutes. Comes back and says "Harley riders like me have no idea what power is. I'll take it."

2013 Multistrada S Touring
2013 Monster 1100 EVO 20th Anniversary #119/200

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 11:03 am

Garage
I've met Duc riders that were just as ignorant.
Austen and Nikk11 like this.

Goodbye RSV4 and MV Agusta. Back on a Duc.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 11:16 am
ELK

"Cosplayers" like Ducati owners in full Dainese leathers on the street?

'15 BMW S1000RR, '10 Streetfighter S, '07 1098S Tricolore, '05 999
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 3:51 pm Thread Starter
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

Quote:
Every group has these people and they are all annoying. The sad part is, if they would open their eyes to other things, they might actually learn something.
No kidding.

Quote:
Up next, Triumph Rocket III Roadster. It's only 2300 cc's. He takes off on that, gone for 20 minutes. Comes back and says "Harley riders like me have no idea what power is. I'll take it."
I'll bet! The Rocket has the feeling of having the power of three Harleys.

Quote:
I've met Duc riders that were just as ignorant.
Oh man, x2. Where do I start. I almost mentioned that in my post but didn't want to take things too far as we're on a Duc site.

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l 190/55 Rear l
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 4:01 pm

I once met a harley dude who told me that his cubic inches motor was making more hp than a cc one I just walked away.

One of my friend with his aprilia tuono parked heard a harley guy talking to another "these japanese bikes are coming great".

Macs are like Harleys... For wannabe different people, who get all the same sh!t
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 4:49 pm

Try being a Harley rider who can't stand the Harley "life style". You are ALONE. Rode a Sportster all through college and was spurned by the "cool" bikers (who rode anything but) and bewildered (despised) by Harley riders because I refused to lap up their cool aide. Know what? At least we're all on bikes, and that's all that matters.
cagivaduc, Mad Dog and FunJimmy like this.

1974 750GT. Bought new!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 7:41 pm

Most brands have groupies that can't relate to any other brand or lifestyle. No other brand owner gets the target on their chests as often as Harley riders, though obviously some of it is deserved.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2016, 7:43 pm

Hd

I really don't care what anybody is riding, if it has two wheels and an engine, they get a wave.

I was at a local hamburger joint one day and a no sleeve, ape bar rider road in. There were a bunch of one piece race suit sport bikers that started to make fun of him. He just smiled. The razzing increased. He was drinking a beer with his burger. He said, "which one of you wants to buy my lunch?" Nobody volunteered. "Now listen", he says, "I'm just riding a piece of shit Harley. You guys have your inline 4 cylinder bikes and your twins with twice as many valves as my tired old bike. Maybe now it's time for you to put up or shut up. I'll race any one of you from the light to the other side of the intersection. First go, loser pays for the other guy's lunch. Anybody wants in after that, it's $100 a go." They spent a few minutes to see who wanted to go first because that person was only going to get a free lunch.

The first bike got ready, revving his 600cc GSX up until the rev limiter was dancing, leaving some rubber on the ground. The biker idled up to the light. The light changed and the rigid frame Harley shot across the intersection. When, they got back to the diner, the sport biker was suggesting something about his clutch. The Harley biker said, "torque."

Five other bikes tried him. He left after eating his free lunch with $500 cash in his levis. The bikes, all capable of incredible cornering and 150+ mph top speeds could not get across the intersection as fast as the bike that was properly prepared for just that and cruising.

The lesson for me was that intelligence comes in all types of packages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode