An encounter with a couple of Harley "tough" guys - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2017, 1:01 pm

We should be a bit careful before making fun of "Harley" riders. In my experience (which includes dirt bikes, American cruisers (harley and victory), Japanese cruisers, Japanese sportbikes, a Buell, and Italian sportbikes) the more expensive/exclusive the bike, the more posers there are. Same is true for mountain bikes, boats, cars, etc.
I go to a lot of demo days as sort of a hobby, I just like riding lots of different bikes. There are elitists and posers at every single one. Many people who are proud of thier bikes will overlook glaring problems or weaknesses in order to pretend that thier favorite is the "best". Some people have trouble understanding that thier personal "best" is not the "best" for everyone.
jcasella likes this.

95 900SS/SP #210
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2017, 4:55 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrider View Post
Harley Davidson advice must see video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3b_MRimbk
The guy in the Fishbone t-shirt doesn't have to worry about being cool. He already is.

2005 ST3
2003 749s
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2017, 7:53 am

Garage
It's a damm TV show !!!

1991 900SS
1968 Honda 305 Dream

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Garage
Most of all arseholes I've met have ridden either Harleys or Ducati and rarely anything else, I put it down to fact that they both have very strong brand identity and hence tend to attract knobs who like to buy into an image.

This realisation inspired me to put Ducati heads on a Harley and has enabled me to meet even more arseholes

Last edited by ChrisBarber; Jan 7th, 2017 at 1:19 pm.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2017, 1:37 pm

I was riding with a friend this past summer and we stopped at a bar/restaurant. There was a lone Harley parked out front and we parked next to him (me on a duc, friend on a BMW). While we were taking our helmets off the Harley owner comes outside for a smoke. He's wearing an Outlaws MC vest w/ a 1%'er patch on it.

We go into the bar area for some lunch. The Harley guy comes in a few minutes later and walks behind me and says "excuse me". I'm nervously thinking 'oh what's this about'.

He says "I think you dropped your phone" and then proceeds to hand it over to me. I say "Thank you, I appreciate that". He says "your welcome" and goes back over to his seat.
flynbulldog and Bobcat Sig like this.

2007 GT1000 - 2015 1299S - 2006 999 (sold)

Last edited by Slowdive; Jan 7th, 2017 at 9:21 pm.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarber View Post
Most of all arseholes I've met have ridden either Harleys or Ducati and rarely anything else, I put it down to fact that they both have very strong brand identity and hence tend to attract knobs who like to buy into an image.

This realisation inspired me to put Ducati heads on a Harley and has enabled me to meet even more arseholes

Well, now, that's interesting. I like it.

'99 Ducati 996s #5, '08 Hypermotard
'07 Yamaha FZ1, '13 Kawasaki Ninja 300se
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Harla-Cati ? Duca- Davidson ?

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Image is everything.

I'm reminded of a guy that brought his Yamaha Virago to our shop to have a carb clean and tune up done. I think it was a 1000 or an 1100.

The owner shows up to collect the bike and left on it. He came back 3 minutes later, upset about his bike and claiming that someone ruined it. The tech that worked on it and the service manager went outside to check on it.

My bud, the tech, came back in and got a screwdriver. He went outside for a minute and came back in shaking his head. Apparently, the owner was upset that his bike ran TOO SMOOTHLY. My friend had to go out and turn the synch screw a little out of synch to make the bike shake a little at idle. The owner wanted his bike to shake at idle like his buddies with the Harleys.

Spex likes this.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
I think my heart valves are desmodromically activated...
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 1:04 am

I'll admit, part of the reason I bought the Dyna was because of the rubber mounted motor that shakes it's ass off. Part of the reason I bought the SS is becasue of the clutch rattle. Or maybe I just have a sick obsession with aircooled 2V twins....lol Each to their own
PhilBoncer likes this.

- Chris
'02 900SS & '13 FXDC
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 6:05 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
Just my opinion but bragging about how fast you can get across an intersection is a bit like bragging about premature ejaculation.
I (WE?) don't have a problem with premature ejackulation...
Wifeys might tho....

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode