An encounter with a couple of Harley "tough" guys - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2017, 1:28 am

Garage
They guy can ride. Looks like it's out by the Rock Store/Malibu Creek State Park, back in there. Personally I wouldn't ride like that out there, seen too many guys lifted out in helicopters...https://youtu.be/CgZWHd31BvA
complexCarlo likes this.

Last edited by Sideburn; Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:31 am. Reason: Put a link to the full clip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2017, 5:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahjah View Post
I really don't care what anybody is riding, if it has two wheels and an engine, they get a wave.

I was at a local hamburger joint one day and a no sleeve, ape bar rider road in. There were a bunch of one piece race suit sport bikers that started to make fun of him. He just smiled. The razzing increased. He was drinking a beer with his burger. He said, "which one of you wants to buy my lunch?" Nobody volunteered. "Now listen", he says, "I'm just riding a piece of shit Harley. You guys have your inline 4 cylinder bikes and your twins with twice as many valves as my tired old bike. Maybe now it's time for you to put up or shut up. I'll race any one of you from the light to the other side of the intersection. First go, loser pays for the other guy's lunch. Anybody wants in after that, it's $100 a go." They spent a few minutes to see who wanted to go first because that person was only going to get a free lunch.

The first bike got ready, revving his 600cc GSX up until the rev limiter was dancing, leaving some rubber on the ground. The biker idled up to the light. The light changed and the rigid frame Harley shot across the intersection. When, they got back to the diner, the sport biker was suggesting something about his clutch. The Harley biker said, "torque."

Five other bikes tried him. He left after eating his free lunch with $500 cash in his levis. The bikes, all capable of incredible cornering and 150+ mph top speeds could not get across the intersection as fast as the bike that was properly prepared for just that and cruising.

The lesson for me was that intelligence comes in all types of packages.
Happened to me in college... except I was the guy with the Harley. Pulled into a bike shop on my 1000cc Sportster to get something or other and the resident mechanic had been dragging everyone who came in... don't remember what he had. But not only was I the first "sucker" to crush him, but hit a huge puddle and drenched him. "Torque." "Rain storm".

1974 750GT. Bought new!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2017, 10:12 am

I have owned several Harley's, currently own two. They are nice bikes that do what they were designed to do very well. Due to their reliability and dealer network they are my first choice for touring. Also very nice for running errands.
PhilBoncer and Scrannel like this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2017, 12:41 pm

Garage
I've met two types of Harley riders while touring. One type is likely an accountant or attorney, all dressed up in fancy leathers and shades, and scowling (why do they have to scowl? I guess real pirates scowl), with a pristine bike, and not talking to anybody except for maybe the pillion. The other are the guys who just get on their bikes and ride them ridiculous distances in punishing weather with no gear, fix them themselves if they break down, and are happy to talk about riding or places they've been to or are hoping to get to. I have a lot of respect for the latter, much more than the guy on the $30k BMW GS with the full Touratech/Aerostich/Gerbing/tech gadget thing going on. When the weather is crappy here, hot or cold, I see way more Harley guys riding than all others combined.

Nother case in point: my wife and I decided to ride the coast road from Astoria Oregon to San Diego. We were down in LA gassing up, and a bunch of squids pulled in, the guys extolling their manly riding to the girls. One of the young ladies shyly asked us if we had really ridden all the way from Oregon, and we all chatted for a while. Just regular folks having fun.
Sideburn likes this.

2014 Multistrada GT
Past: BMW 1150 GS, Moto Guzzi Norge 8v GT (For Sale), some sort of Honda
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2017, 1:50 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher

Garage
Just my opinion but bragging about how fast you can get across an intersection is a bit like bragging about premature ejaculation.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2017, 3:35 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
Just my opinion but bragging about how fast you can get across an intersection is a bit like bragging about premature ejaculation.
Thanks. I've been monitoring this thread and have some pretty strong feelings to share but don't want to start a flame war. Besides, no matter what I wrote I'd never be able to phrase is as succinct and to the point as you did, DuckMan!
DuckMan likes this.

Randy,
'02 BMW R1150RT
'05 ST3
'06 BMW K1200S
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2017, 7:16 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
After 13 years, I'm still undefeated. My wife wishes I'd let her win sometimes, but THAT'S LOSER TALK AMIRITE!
cagivaduc, motolectric and Rumpel like this.

2008 Hypermotard 1100 S
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 10:18 am

Hold your ground, Spex ! Stay undefeated ! Women have to try to beat you at everything.
Stick and Spex like this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 2:16 pm

Harley Davidson advice must see video.

2014 Red MTS ST, 2006 Yamaha FZ6
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 2:39 pm
ELK

This reminds me of the "F Word" episode of South Park.

'15 BMW S1000RR, '10 Streetfighter S, '07 1098S Tricolore, '05 999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode