Fix the Bad Shifting and False Neutrals - Factory Pro - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2016, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Fix the Bad Shifting and False Neutrals - Factory Pro

Although my machine is still at the dealer awaiting the arrival of the Termi kit, I have been doing a ton of research as to what will probably need fixing when I do finally get the bike.

One of the first things I noticed as a very common complaint was the poor action of the shifting mechanism i.e.: stiff, unable to locate neutral, missed shifts, and false neutrals. Figured I'd start by getting this addressed first.

I have had excellent experiences with the Factory Pro Roller Bearing Detent Arm, Spring and Shift Stars on other bikes...soooo, I went off to Factory Pro to take a look around....I didn't find anything specific to the 939SP, so I fired off an email to the guy behind Factory Pro, Marc Salvisberg.....lo and behold, there is a kit.

The kit for the 11 degree Testastretta engines in the Hypermotard and the Hyperstrada is Part Number SHFT-PRO-D748-M821-CER. although the kit doesn't come with a new shift star, it does come with a new spring and detent arm with a ceramic bearing.

I will be installing this kit in the very near future.......If you hate the shifting of your Hyper....you might wanna look into this kit.

http://www.factorypro.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2016, 10:26 pm

I'm sure the kit is high quality, but I must say my hyper gearbox is the best of any bike I've ridden. It took about 2,000 miles to wear in, and it has been flawless ever since. How many miles on your 939?
appliance57 and Svet Angelov like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 12:10 am
unM0derator

My experience has been that all Ducs have the symptoms you mention when the shifter linkage rod is not properly adjusted. Every Ducati I've ever owned had to be adjusted in this way after I acquired it. Just like setting up your suspension.

A five minute job that will address most of these issues.

Geoff

Current pastimes: 2004 ST4s / 2010 SF 1098 S

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:09 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedST View Post
Every Ducati I've ever owned had to be adjusted in this way after I acquired it. Just like setting up your suspension.

Geoff
So, what did you do to adjust it? What is the magic process here?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 4:31 pm
unM0derator

If you have a normal pattern shifter (as opposed to a reverse pattern), you want the effort for up and downshifts to be equal, so lengthen the linkage rod if you feel upshift is not engaging as desired or shorten for downshift quality. Once you have a good balance, neutral should be easier to find. If not, that may also suggest you investigate clutch throwout stroke and clutch pack height on dry clutch models. Probably not much else to check on a wet clutch.

Looking at how little room there is on the 939, I'm wondering if foot placement and throw length contribute to people's description of poor feel.

Geoff

Fix the Bad Shifting and False Neutrals - Factory Pro-img_2456.jpg

Last edited by RedST; Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:24 pm.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 10:13 pm

How to improve shifting on hyper 939SP

Fellow 939'er, some tips for you (some obvious, others less so):

1) Breaking on these bikes and the gearbox is a little longer then one might expect. 4000 km or 2500 miles is not unrealistic before you get everything settled and it works the way it's supposed to.

2) It goes without saying that if you are sissy shifting or if you are not wearing a racing boot with a stiff sole, the likelihood of missed shifts and false neutrals is much higher.

3) Because this bike runs a wet clutch and the gearbox is bathed in motor oil, the type of oil used will actually make a difference in responsiveness of the shifter. I have experimented with several different brands of oil, several different viscosities and I find that the Motul 7100 in 10w-40 delivers great results.

4) Shifter adjustment aside, replacing the foot pegs can also provide a more positive shift feeling. See my recent post about the Ducati performance foot pegs mod for details. Made shifting even more responsive for me.

It's obviously a matter of personal preference but I can tell you from first-hand experience that the bike shifts very well with the above conditions respected and obviously once warmed up (another quirk with wet clutch Ducs -shift way smoother when up to operating temp). I can get through a full day ride or track day without missing a shift or hitting a false neutral.

All that said, I'd be real curious to hear what your experience is like if you do the Factory Pro mod...

Chancemoto.com | 2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 | 2016 Hypermotard 939 SP | 2010 Yamaha WR250X
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

I will definitely let everyone know, once it's done. I have used these on multiple bikes and the shifting becomes a "think about it, and it's in gear" situation. No special witchcraft, no fiddling around, no experimentation with different oil, they just flat out work.

I have to put some miles on it first....then it will go in for tuning and the installation of the kit will get done following that process. Still debating on an add on EFI controller, or something else.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2016, 1:09 am
unM0derator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKham View Post
4) Shifter adjustment aside, replacing the foot pegs can also provide a more positive shift feeling. See my recent post about the Ducati performance foot pegs mod for details.

Very likely that mod would feel much better. That short linkage has less effective ratio in the knuckle than the standard 10-14cm linkage and shifter on most Ducs. A shifter with a larger radius for the knuckle would also work.

Geoff
DJKham likes this.

Last edited by RedST; Sep 8th, 2016 at 3:22 am.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2016, 9:31 am

Going from a 2v SS to a Testastretta S4rs I can only say the shifting was a lot better, in fact, one of the best shifting bikes I've owned. I don't recall ever missing a shift. Adjust your shifter, wear boots that don't flex.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Garage
On my 821, I can't get into neutral while at a stoplight, it's either 1 or 2. While rolling though, it'll go into Neutral just fine.

Same thing when upshifting, false neutrals between 4-5 for some reason, most annoying thing I have ever experienced and scary too.

2016 BMW S1000RR | 2015 Ducati Hypermotard (Sold) | 2014 BMW S1000RR (Stolen) | 2006 Honda CBR600RR (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode