Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Ducati Touring Windscreen Impressions

10K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  kuksul08 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased and installed the Ducati Touring Windscreen on my '15 SP. initially I noticed a big difference with the wind against my chest, but a major increase in buffeting, certainly concentrated on my helmet at highway speeds. I also feel like the gap between the screen and the fairing mounts may cause some of the wind turbulence.

I'm 6' 3".

So I removed the screen and ran like that for a couple more weeks. Overall I found there was a lack of major buffeting, since the wind crosses over my body more evenly. Now I'm researching some options. I've seen add ons that bring the screen lip higher, but for highway riding, it really seems like a taller screen would be better. With the screen on, at my height, buffeting begins around my chin level.

Has anyone run into this? And what are people running as far as aftermarket screens that are taller than the Ducati Touring?

#2 ·
While I have never used a windscreen of any size/type on my bikes, what you are describing about going from overall wind buffeting sans a windscreen, to annoying head buffeting with them, is a claim that I have read many times over the years and have lead most users to ditch them in the end.

What I have taken away from this is, if your not in a sport bike riding position, any windscreen with the exception of a full size is going to give you that grief.

#6 ·
All good points. I took mirrors off and have bar end now. I think for a 5' 6" person, you'd be fine. But for my height, it's just not a great experience. I may save it and modify it to make it taller, somehow. In the meantime, I may get the CF and see how that goes? I feel like the CF will give the same issues, just right below my helmet, where it's almost better with none?

Alternatively, I'd like to find a taller / wider screen to attach to the stock mount points. If anyone knows of one, let me know. Otherwise I may go so far as to get one custom done up.

#11 ·
#14 ·
The Puig is 10" from the top bolt and it tapers up in the middle up to 11" from the top nut. The California Scientific is 14" from the top nut so 4" taller. I have the Puig dark smoke sitting here but not sure if I want to put it on now that I know about the CalSci and that it's even taller. I'm trying to search for other riders experience with both, but Google isn't giving me easy findings of Puig vs CalSci Hyperstrada.

#15 ·
No expert here but, I would think that any amount of height would only make the screen more effective regardless of the design. If its taller, it's gonna block more air/channel it higher over your bod than one that is lower. No?

Don't you hate having to spend money when the outcome is unsure? I sure do.

#17 · (Edited)
Some good info in this thread now.

The height most definitely is a factor, and should be taken into account for your size. But that's not everything, as some designs may create back pressure, which can cause buffeting as well. These bikes were never really meant to have large screens on them I'm realizing, having looked at the slope and angle of the largest screen from Cal Science. Regardless, I placed an order for a knock off carbon fiber small screen to cover up the 4 bolt holes, and maybe provide a little protection for my phone. I'm not looking at it being an end all, by any means.

I will also be ordering the Cal Science screen since I've yet to find anything taller, and i think over the stock touring screen, the extra 4" will be substantial, though I won't really know till I get it and try it out. I'm not sure if they offer it in clear, or just smoke? That means I'll be selling just the Ducati screen (not mounting bracket) if anyone is interested. It's a great screen if you're 5' 10" or shorter.

Edit:
I reached out to Cal Sci to see if I could come up and do a test ride with their screen against the Ducati Touring screen. Also to see if they have the screen in clear versus smoked. I'll keep you posted on what they say.

#18 ·
Got a reply from Cal Sci, and they do have the screens in clear and smoked. They also have a sample to try, but none in stock from what i could tell. They are open M-F 9-5, so I may try to take a day off and head up since they mentioned they can do a comparison between my screen and theirs.

Also, it's going to take a month for my CF screen to do any additional comparisons, so over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to test all of these out, and the CF once it comes in, and do a video review I think.

#19 ·
Any update on the Cal Sci windshield? I returned the Puig as the bracket it comes with requires the handlebars to be at the height of the Hyperstrada and it was the same height as the Ducati touring screen. As soon as you give the review, I'm buying one, more likely in smoked color.

Riding on the freeway the other day at 70mph was brutal with no windshield. I'm jealous of the Multistrada guys, but don't want a bike that heavy or large.

#25 ·
Very nice write up, thanks for that and the excellent pics. I'm glad that it suits you. As for myself, it's way too big and I realized a long time ago that for us taller people it's gonna take an oversized screen to do the job adequately.

That's why I never tried one. I suppose that If I were going on a cross country trip, long hours on straight highways, I would put it on. Otherwise it would sleep in the garage. 90% of my riding is on mountain type roads with only short, infrequent runs on freeways so it doesn't make sense for me to have one.

Appreciate the effort.

#27 ·
If you're riding mostly mountain, or not really much highway, I wouldn't bother with a screen as you said. I'd ONLY use this screen or the other for extensive highway riding, not even around town sort of stuff. There's to much flexing going on with the mounts for anything other than highway IMHO.

#28 ·
I'm going to do a quick modification over the next day or two when I get a chance, which will be to put spacers on the mounts to bring the screen more upright. One of three things will happen (or a combo):

1) The wind will get pushed higher, effectively over my helmet, versus streamlined right to my visor as it is right now.
2) It'll actually break the mount given the amount of force @ 85 MPH as a test case.
3) It won't help the situation at all with the buffeting on my helmet.

In defense of the screen, it did raise the wind hitting me 4" higher, as I anticipated, and creates no back pressure, I'm just a tall wide dude, and maybe this is just a sign I need a Multi for my longer highway trips...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.