939 SP - Limp Mode - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy 939 SP - Limp Mode

Anyone else out there plagued with limp mode issues?
I've had the bike for 4 weeks (c. 900 miles) and in that time it's been in the dealership for almost 2 weeks trying to diagnose a limp mode issue.

Twice now I've been riding along and the bike just cuts throttle response and goes to idle and displays an error flag and CEL.
Clutch in and get the side of the road. First time was on the freeway, second time on ACH. Thankfully I wasn't carrying much lean angle either time, or things could have been a lot worse.

Lambda sensor shows that it's running lean, so it could be faulty sensor or something more serious. Maybe it's an injector problem, and it's really running lean. Either way, limp mode is a disaster waiting to happen if you were mid-corner with no throttle to pick the bike up again.

Has anyone else had someone similar? The entire joy of a new bike is gone with not having said bike for 2 weeks and knowing that there'll be a bunch more diagnosis miles on it when/if i ever get it back.

-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Jesus! Now even the new ones are crapping out! This has happened so many times to so many owners that I can't believe that Ducati does not know exactly what the problem is yet, apparently can't do anything about it, or won't do anything about it.

There is a guy on this forum who, after posting youtube vids that went viral, about the same failure that you are having, only multiple times, got Ducati to buy the bike back from him under a non-disclosure agreement.

His screen name is SnowcatXX87. An entertaining, however obnoxious guy, who makes little adventure videos of himself riding around yelling at people (drivers and peds) like they are all idiots. Check him out on youtube.

There is also a thread right now on the second page by member UDposter concerning the same issue as yours.

Starter motors, dash and ECU failures, lean surging at certain throttle positions/RPMS, seem to be COMMON maladies with these machines. I'm hoping to god that I don't have this pox happen to mine but the odds are not very good it seems.

Please make the dealer tell you exactly what they find wrong and PLEASE keep us posted as to the reason for the failure.
ampj8 and mcderd like this.

2015 Hypermotard Dark Stealth

Last edited by Luvtoride; Apr 27th, 2016 at 4:50 pm.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Sorry to hear this. Kinda sad actually.

My only advice is that you DO NOT modify the bike if you expect to use the warranty, or Ducati will find reason to deny your claim or blame it on what you did. That means everything - exhaust valve, muffler, evap canister, etc. no matter how simple.

Let us know what they find since this issue is common and no one knows what the problem is still.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Man, with every new thread, I rue the fact that I declined the extended warranty package at purchase.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
Man, with every new thread, I rue the fact that I declined the extended warranty package at purchase.
You can still add a warranty as long as it's still in warranty.

But then you can't modify the bike, or they can deny you. So where's the fun in that.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
You can still add a warranty as long as it's still in warranty.

But then you can't modify the bike, or they can deny you. So where's the fun in that.
Ok well thanks, I didn't know that. The only mods that I have done to mine is the canister removal and a tail tidy kit. A center stand and radiator cover don't really qualify as mods, I don't think.

Iv'e still got that 500 dollar RB EVO kit sitting in it's box, afraid to install it. I'm coming down to the bay area soon (sea level) and trailering the Hyper with me for around a 6 week stay.

It will be nice to experience a 10-15% increase in power from where I am at altitude. I'm going to see how it performs down there and make the decision as whether to install it, or wait out the warranty.

Last edited by Luvtoride; Apr 27th, 2016 at 5:54 pm.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
Ok well thanks, I didn't know that. The only mods that I have done to mine is the canister removal and a tail tidy kit. A center stand and radiator cover don't really qualify as mods, I don't think.

Iv'e still got that 500 dollar RB EVO kit sitting in it's box, afraid to install it. I'm coming down to the bay area soon (sea level) and trailering the Hyper with me for around a 6 week stay.

It will be nice to experience a 10-15% increase in power from where I am at altitude. I'm going to see how it performs down there and make the decision as whether to install it, or wait out the warranty.
I got a bit of crap about removing my canister. Funny considering the damn thing makes the bike stall.

The RB is more for smoothness. I don't notice a huge power increase, but thats just me. I bet with the air at sea level you will like the power but might not like the lean running initially, especially if you trailer it down.

Last edited by kuksul08; Apr 27th, 2016 at 7:06 pm.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I got a bit of crap about removing my canister. Funny considering the damn thing makes the bike stall.

The RB is more for smoothness. I don't notice a huge power increase, but thats just me. I bet with the air at sea level you will like the power but might not like the lean running initially, especially if you trailer it down.
Yea, that's what I'm talking about, the power loss at altitude Vs normal power at sea level. After the bike adjusts for the change, I'm going to see if it has the herkey-jerkies and if so, how bad, then I'll decide whether to risk the warranty and put the RB module on it.

When I bought the bike last June at the MotorCafe, I only rode it about 20 miles and could not REALLY ride it before I brought it up here so, I could not get a good handle how it was running.

I also had the stall issue down there a couple of times when I would blip the throttle on downshift. After I got it up here and removed the canister, it has never happened again.

Back on topic; UDposter never got back here to tell us what the verdict was on his "limp mode" by the MotorCafe.

Maybe I'll shoot him a PM over at barf, he hangs out there mostly, not here so much.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2016, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Garage
The problem is being reported on the ECU as a lambda sensor issue on the vertical (back) cylinder, with the cylinder running in a lean condition. When I've been riding, the bike drops to limp mode and just flashes the error symbol on the dash, and cuts all throttle response, but idles at elevated rpm. The CEL comes on, but actually goes out again after a couple of hours - obviously before i get it to the dealer. The ECU does retain the CEL data though, thankfully.

No further information even after multiple visits to the dealership in person to check in on the patient.
They can't reproduce the problem even after miles with the diagnostic equipment plugged into the bike on the pillion seat.

Ducati (North America) called me this evening to tell me that there's been a firmware update for the 939 released last Thursday. The dealer reflashed the bike with the new firmware and they've ridden about 100 miles with no repeat of the failure.

DNA are waiting to hear from Ducati Corp. on Thursday so that they can get the full firmware release notes to see if this particular failure was patched/fixed as part of this new firmware release. If they say it has, and they can define the root cause, then I'll have little choice to take the bike back and hope that it doesn't happen again. If they're still drawing a blank, then it could be a buyback/replace situation. I don't know which one I would prefer at this point. It's been a long two weeks without a bike.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2016, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcderd View Post
The problem is being reported on the ECU as a lambda sensor issue on the vertical (back) cylinder, with the cylinder running in a lean condition. When I've been riding, the bike drops to limp mode and just flashes the error symbol on the dash, and cuts all throttle response, but idles at elevated rpm. The CEL comes on, but actually goes out again after a couple of hours - obviously before i get it to the dealer. The ECU does retain the CEL data though, thankfully.

No further information even after multiple visits to the dealership in person to check in on the patient.
They can't reproduce the problem even after miles with the diagnostic equipment plugged into the bike on the pillion seat.

Ducati (North America) called me this evening to tell me that there's been a firmware update for the 939 released last Thursday. The dealer reflashed the bike with the new firmware and they've ridden about 100 miles with no repeat of the failure.

DNA are waiting to hear from Ducati Corp. on Thursday so that they can get the full firmware release notes to see if this particular failure was patched/fixed as part of this new firmware release. If they say it has, and they can define the root cause, then I'll have little choice to take the bike back and hope that it doesn't happen again. If they're still drawing a blank, then it could be a buyback/replace situation. I don't know which one I would prefer at this point. It's been a long two weeks without a bike.
Welcome to the Ducati 'Experience'

I've read about others having this issue before, and the fix was to replace the O2 sensors.
Bobcat Sig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode