Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Hypermotard 1100 clutch slipping

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  hypermo 
#1 ·
Been noticing a little slippage in my clutch in the lower gears. Mostly first and second. Wondering if it's time for a new clutch plate kit and some clutch springs. My hyper has about 16k miles on it now. Is that about the normal time to swap those out?

#2 ·
16,000 miles is a reasonable lifetime for the dry clutch plates. Some may get more, some less. The '06 S4R that I used to own needed new plates at 10k miles or so, I reused the springs, easy job.

#4 ·
Yes, be sure the new plates go in the same order as the old ones. There is a small chance that the pushrod will come out with the pressure plate......don't panic!! Inspect the O-rings, smear some engine oil on them and reinstall the pushrod. Do not over tighten the bolts that attach the springs to the pressure plate, you can easily strip the threads in the pressure plate.

Another thing that may happen if you are unlucky, is that the clutch may need to be adjusted after the new stack is in place........this is something I have not had to do, and don't know how to do.

good luck:)

#6 ·
You might as well replace the throw out bearing while your at it less
than $10.00 and you will have it out already. If you measure the stack
when its out you will know how worn it is.
Search for quiet clutch mod I did it when I replaced mine makes a lot
less noise.

#7 ·
I took the speedymoto pressure plate off the bearing looks and spins good. not sure how i would get it out of the pressure plate anyways.. I do i have new bearing I was planning on installing but I may leave the existing.

Should I torque the spring bolts in all the way for the pressure plate? or is there a certain number of rotations it should be?

Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

#8 ·
The Bearing is just a pressure fit you would use something like a socket that would fit the outer
race of the bearing not the inner race and tap it out. To get the old one out you could use
the inner race but do not use a bearing after hitting the inner race.

From the 08 service Manual

Clutch springs screws M6x2 (Torque to 6nm) min 5nm max 7nm

#12 · (Edited)
Looks like the rod is not all the way in keeping the pressure plate out from the
clutch pack. This link should help it covers the entire clutch and slave.

Pull out the rod and see if the plate mounts up that would tell you if it is
the rod or not its hard to tell by looking at a picture.

Some Pressure plates are keyed to the drum see the one spring perch with a
slot the pressure plate will have a mark on it that will line up with that slot if
it is a keyed pressure plate.

Clutch Replacement

#13 ·
Ok so it turns out the clutch slave was pushed in so that the rod was sticking out further on the pressure plate. I took the slave off and pushed it back using the rod. Everything fits fine now except now when I squeeze the clutch lever I get nothing? Maybe too much air in the lines? Or in the salve?

#14 ·
Would be a good idea anyway to flush and re-bleed the system with a new clutch pack. I would start there. Remember to only fill the clutch fluid reservoir just under halfway. Fluid level will rise over time as the clutch plates wear.

What kind of plates did you end up going with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.