Cam belt tensioner - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 4:00 pm   #1 (permalink)
Home of vortex tuning

Cam belt tensioner

A faint grumbling, found to be the rear cyl cam belt tensioner. Slacked off a bit to intermintent noise, found with a "special audio" screwdriver. The questions, is this a wear item or a warranty issue? Can it last 1k miles until the 7.5k service? No replies under search "cam belt tensioner pully"

My home "Wayward" in Morro Bay Ca.

Transmitting throughout the cosmos from my 'Pod

Hammerin' Honda 90's 'round Lake Berryessa since '67
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 4:43 pm   #2 (permalink)

Read missing at 6000 to 7000 RPM

CDONA,
You are not alone with a noisy tensioner, I remember reading, recently, about similar issues. Backing off the tension may lessen the noise, but will introduce missing at higher RPMs. If you have the talent to back off the tension, call your dealer and ask them to send you a replacement bearing, then bring in the suspect part.

If they refuse call the roadside assistance number 1-800-234-1353 and ask them to transport your machine to the dealer, ultimately they may "get the message".

Sorry to hear you are having this issue.

RS
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 5:37 pm   #3 (permalink)

Only rich people can afford poor quality

Hey Road Scholar, just noticed your signature. Does that mean we Hyper owners are all rich?

Look at all the bitching on this forum, I got sealed cartridges in my front forks and that's poor quality in my book.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 10:45 pm   #4 (permalink)

It is definately a warranty issue. I brought my Monster in to my dealer the other day for the same issue. It has an appointment to get fixed the first week in Sept.

Monstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:51 am   #5 (permalink)

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHEZZI View Post
Hey Road Scholar, just noticed your signature. Does that mean we Hyper owners are all rich?

Look at all the bitching on this forum, I got sealed cartridges in my front forks and that's poor quality in my book.
I was wondering when someone would make this connection

Nothing about Ducati is "reasonably" priced, and yes many of the "upscale" features have large measures of surface quality....

BUT

As we all know, you can fix these "minor" irritations by carefully adding MORE MONEY, so being rich, so to speak, doesn't hurt

Owning a motorcycle like the Hyper is an open admission of excess, probably healthier than a crack habit, marginally more socially acceptable

HOWEVER

The riding experience is second to none, its about the ride, it's about going down the road and wondering if you are on a contrived mechanical platform or on a hyperactive magic carpet
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:27 am   #6 (permalink)

From what you're describing it sounds like a bad tensioner bearing, which is not unheard of with Ducatis. It's one of those little things you have to keep an eye on. I like to check the belts and those bearings every time I do an oil change.

I wouldn't ride it at all with the belt tension backed off. If it's too loose you're running the risk of having the belt skip and throw the cam timing off. The result of that is usually a bent valve, cracked valve guide, and cracked piston.

Of course it's possible the belt had been adjusted too tight and by backing it off you've made it right! A quick check would be to position that piston at TDC compression and check the tension using a 3mm allen key as a feeler gauge against the idler roller (not the tensioner). In the old days we used a 5mm allen key but these engines run the belts tighter. Of course the factory-specified procedure is to set the tension harmonically.

Anyway, definitely a warranty issue...

Debby

Previously in the garage:
07 GT1000
02 998
07 Hyper S
97 900 SS/CR
debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 4:07 pm   #7 (permalink)
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Scholar View Post
The riding experience is second to none, its about the ride, it's about going down the road and wondering if you are on a contrived mechanical platform or on a hyperactive magic carpet
This might be the best quote on this forum...
Da_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 4:13 pm   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post
It is definately a warranty issue. I brought my Monster in to my dealer the other day for the same issue. It has an appointment to get fixed the first week in Sept.

Monster- is your avatar from T6 at Loudon? Do you still race there? Or is that a track day pic?

EDIT- PM'ed instead.

Caidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:06 pm   #9 (permalink)
Home of vortex tuning

Called Scottsdale, not in stock. Ducati is on summer break no parts shipped until Sept. Parts guy thinks it is a wear item ($65.), not warranted, but the service guy makes the call. Time for cyber shopping, part # 451.2.020.1A

My home "Wayward" in Morro Bay Ca.

Transmitting throughout the cosmos from my 'Pod

Hammerin' Honda 90's 'round Lake Berryessa since '67
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:48 pm   #10 (permalink)
GMP

Measure it, likely its an off the shelf sealed bearing you can get at a bearing supply house for a fraction of the cost. I always try this first when I rebuild a motor, and sometimes you can get a better grade bearing than OEM for less money. Small Euro mfgs. rarely go with custom bearing sizes, unlike the Japanese.

'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
'07 GasGas EC250
GMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement