Hyper 821 clutch sucks, does your's? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2014, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Hyper 821 clutch sucks, does your's?

Just bought a 2013 Hypermotard 821, love almost everything about it, aside from the clutch. Love the slipper action, but I'm so used to rev matching down shifts, that it's automatic at this point. The real problem is starting out from a dead stop, starting quickly, like getting the jump on traffic, which is how I start out a lot. When I do that here's what happens... slip, lurch, almost wheelie, pull in a little, slip, lurch, go. I look, and feel like a freakin' moron.

I'm over 50, been riding since I was 11, have owned and ridden tons of bikes, never had this problem before. Currently have 2 dirtbikes, 2 quads, the Hyper, a 2014 Yamaha FZ-09, and a Yamaha TMAX. Never owned or rode a Ducati before, but really wanted a Hyper with the new 18,000 mile service intervals.

The Duc had only 4,000 miles on it when purchased, and judging by the chicken strips it had, was a poser bike (so sad). The clutch free play and chain were checked (by myself), and adjusted to factory specs before I even rode it.

I don't know if this is normal for the hyper with the APTC clutch or not, since there are few reviews, and none mention this problem, and I don't know anyone else that owns one. Is this a byproduct of the "slipper function"? I also don't know what oil is in the crankcase, but would assume if it's synthetic that it's "jaso ma" rated for wet clutches. Although if it weren't the clutch would also probably slip under load (no evidence of that), and it would already be too late for an oil change to help the clutch.

I believe the Duc is still under warranty, but not sure. So I need some help here. Is what I'm describing normal? All you 821 owners out there, let me know if you experience anything similar, or what you think the cause may be. I'm sure it's not just operator error, or an incorrect adjustment.

Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2014, 7:34 pm

I think this is pretty common amongst Hypers. You will get used to it/
Touring mode helps a little bit or you can just ride the clutch more, plates are cheap don't worry about them.

Hyper is my first bike ever with a full electronic throttle too.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2014, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob27 View Post
I think this is pretty common amongst Hypers. You will get used to it/
Touring mode helps a little bit or you can just ride the clutch more, plates are cheap don't worry about them.

Hyper is my first bike ever with a full electronic throttle too.
Thanks for the reply, good to know. And yes the very light throttle return may be part of the problem, I've only tried "touring mode" a couple times cause I thought it might help, I didn't notice a difference. I'll give that another try though.

My FZ-09 was my first "ride by wire" bike, well known for it's "snatchy" throttle, the clutch on that is great though, and I had the ECU re-flashed to cure most of the throttle snatch.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 2:05 am

Hi

My clutch acts the same way. Very annoying, as I too struggle to get the jump on the traffic coming off traffic lights etc.

The Monster 821 comes with a upgraded clutch.

Here's a review of the monster

2015 Ducati Monster 821 First Ride Review | Sport Rider

and a qoute: "..and a judder spring in the clutch thatís intended to smooth clutch engagement (the Hypermotard is famous for having one of the worst clutches in Ducati history and making it a challenge to just to leave a stop smoothly)"

And from the Hyperstrada forum:
Monster 821, gets modified clutch spring!! - Ducati Hyperstrada Forum

Cheers
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysrider View Post
Thanks for the reply, good to know. And yes the very light throttle return may be part of the problem, I've only tried "touring mode" a couple times cause I thought it might help, I didn't notice a difference. I'll give that another try though.

My FZ-09 was my first "ride by wire" bike, well known for it's "snatchy" throttle, the clutch on that is great though, and I had the ECU re-flashed to cure most of the throttle snatch.
I know exactly where you're coming from. I just give it a little bit of throttle coming off a stop light and let the clutch out VERY slow. I know it's catching point by now. When I know a light is going to turn, I just slowly engage the clutch before the light turns and give it a little bit of throttle then let it out as it turns. That way I don't hold up traffic and have a very slow idiotic takeoff. I wish we had the new clutch spring!

-Josh
2014 Hypermotard 821
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Compared to other bikes I owned, I also find the Hyper's clutch to be a bit difficult to modulate when pulling from a stop, even more when I try to be nice and gentle (ie with a passenger).
Quite frankly, I don't remember being negatively impressed by the clutch when the bike was brand new, but I definitely recall having troubles when I got it back from the first service (official Ducati dealership). They adjusted (?) the cable and changed the engine oil (Maxima Extra4 10w40), and the combination was horrible: too little gas and the bike would stall, too much and it would jump like a horse...
Fine-adjustment of the cable (so the lever ends up being at the perfect distance when the clutch starts to engage) seems to help quite a bit, but I will likely ask them to use a different oil at the next service, just to see if it makes a difference.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 4:18 pm

I actually have no complaints with the clutch. It has less modulation than some motorcycles, but more than others. I think you'll get used to it. FWIW I am running Motul 300V 15w50 oil.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses, good to know it's normal, and has apparently been fixed for 2015. I've only put on a couple hundred miles over 3 rides, getting used to it more every ride. I posted about this elsewhere, and found there is a cure. Here's the link that was posted. Check out the diagrams of the '13 and '15 clutches.

Monster 821, gets modified clutch spring!! - Page 2 - Ducati Hyperstrada Forum

Hopefully this change can be retrofitted at minimal cost.

'13 Hypermotard 821, '15 Yamaha FZ-09, '14 BMW S1000R, '14 KTM 1190 Adventure, '14 Yamaha FZ-09
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 11:39 pm

I've got a 2013 SP and experience the same thing. Not as bad once it's warmed up, but still annoying. I've learned to ride around it for the most part. Still, it'd be nice if Ducati addressed this flaw for those of us who took a chance on the first year model. I'll talk to my dealership. If we all make some noise on this, maybe we can get some help from Ducati.

Eric

2013 hypermotard sp
2008 ktm 250 xcf-w
2005 ktm 450 SMR
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2014, 1:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysrider View Post
Thanks for all the responses, good to know it's normal, and has apparently been fixed for 2015. I've only put on a couple hundred miles over 3 rides, getting used to it more every ride. I posted about this elsewhere, and found there is a cure. Here's the link that was posted. Check out the diagrams of the '13 and '15 clutches.

Monster 821, gets modified clutch spring!! - Page 2 - Ducati Hyperstrada Forum

Hopefully this change can be retrofitted at minimal cost.
that would be awesome if it solves the problem of hitting neutral instead of 5th and 6th gear all the time
but i doubt it would
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode