Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Gas cap tech help

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fresno 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone out there has taking their gas cap apart and could lend a hand getting mine back together? I know I sound like an idiot but I just had a bunch of parts powdercoated including my gas cap and can not for the life of me figure out where this misc. washer/spacer fits (somewhere on the key tumbler?). It is about 1mm thick aluminum and the same size as the o-ring that fits at the end of the tumbler but is not the flat washer that fits on the end/end of the tumbler. Thanks in advance. Joel race2win1@hotmail.com

#2 ·
I just took mine apart. The washer sits on top of the O ring. I have no idea what it does and it want to slip out of position during reassembly. Use a bit of grease to hold it in place.

The next problem is putting the small springs back and lining up the bolts to the key tumbler. It helps to have someone help hold them together while you place it back in the housing.

I noticed some binding that went completely away after I took a few turns of the key. Make sure to tighten those little screws. They would be hell to fish out of the gas tank.

Now, help me out. How did you get the key tumbler out of the gas cap? I was afraid to twist the two knobs on the the underside. Does it punch out?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.