Long Range Fuel Tank - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 3:27 pm   #1 (permalink)

Long Range Fuel Tank

In Oz it's a long way between nowhere, but there are mountains to be travelled.
Rule #1. Don't ruin the asthetics!!!!!

I would like a 2 into 1 exhaust with the muffler in the original position on the right hand side. I like Zards Top Gun.

In place of the left muffler I would like a duplicate (dummy) muffler that could be used in several different ways.

A. As a fuel tank extender that is connected to the main tank with feed and vent hoses etc. This could be a plumbers nightmare .

B. As a seperate reserve tank with its own auxillary pump to top up the main tank when needed. The filler neck might look ugly and out of sync with the real muffler .

C. As a complete fuel can in its own right with quick detachable mounts, and a screw off end cap that doubles as a funnel. The design is in my head . Can someone get it out? Hey, when ya run out ya gunna stop anyway, so 3 minutes to add 3 liters is gunna getchya outa twubble .

D. As an empty can that could hold anything you want including a cylinder of fuel for those slightly longer trips.

Is anybody with me on this one? Be creative guys, tell the manufacturers what we want and we just might get it. Tell 'em nuffin and guess watchya get?

Last edited by GHEZZI; Dec 15th, 2007 at 3:34 pm.
GHEZZI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 3:45 pm   #2 (permalink)

Interesting idea Ghezzi. Not sure about the spare fuel tank because as you said a plumbers nightmare but the empty can with a false end that removes might not be a bad idea. You could store whatever you want in it then.

2007 Triumph Tiger 1050

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem."
Motard-Menace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 4:27 pm   #3 (permalink)

Someone in another thread on a different site I think recommended those fuel cannisters that hikers use for naptha gas. Here is a link to such a cannister from a Toronto store. Never tried it but I would think three or four of the 1 litre units could get you out of trouble. I'm getting about 20 Km per litre so it should give some room to spare.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 1171&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696497&bmUID= 1197757357380
reitsmjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 5:12 pm   #4 (permalink)
Senior Moment

great idea...especially looking at how much fuel capacity and other storage capacity the HM seems to not have.
Buckelew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 5:21 pm   #5 (permalink)

Just an idea mind you.....but didn't Chris Kelly manufacture a larger capacity fuel tank for the MH-900E bike ? I believe it added about 100 miles of range. Maybe he is doing another for the Hypermotard.

71 bevel desmo speciale ( in process )
93 888 SPO ( license #46 WLF )
94 M-900
02 ST4s
67 Norton P-11 Flat tracker for dedicated terror on the streets of Los Angeles ( license NOBRAKE) !
bevel450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:30 am   #6 (permalink)

I can't remember for sure but somewhere I saw someone took a spare exhaust can and mounted it too look like dual exhausts on an ATV. The second can was hollowed out and the end cap was removeable. I would think this could be done on the HM. Use a 2 into 1 exhaust but leave the second can hollowed out for storage. Unless you knew what it was you couldn't tell a difference from dual exhaust.
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 3:44 am   #7 (permalink)
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevel450 View Post
Just an idea mind you.....but didn't Chris Kelly manufacture a larger capacity fuel tank for the MH-900E bike ? I believe it added about 100 miles of range. Maybe he is doing another for the Hypermotard.
he gets those rotomolded. it would be interesting to see what the cost of the tooling would be. and to see where additional tank capacity could be put. It's tempting to get a rear bag and put a gas can into it.

Maybe next weekend I can pop the cat eliminator on.....
Buckelew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 3:56 am   #8 (permalink)

I think it was Two-Brothers idea years ago.
OddDuc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 8:04 am   #9 (permalink)

Yep, that's what I was talking about.
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 5:54 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddDuc View Post
I think it was Two-Brothers idea years ago.
i saw this product highlighted (pun intended) in drug smugglers monthly a few years back
johnchypermotard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.