Hypermotard 821 Steering Damper Kit! - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetardedTiming View Post
Happy with mine. 68mm Ohlins

I am on the fence whether or not to install a steering damper. $602 is a lot to drop if it isn't worth it. How are you liking the Ohlins? Noticable difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFroadnurse View Post
I am on the fence whether or not to install a steering damper. $602 is a lot to drop if it isn't worth it. How are you liking the Ohlins? Noticable difference?

Picking up my 939 next weekend, but have been already going thru the same conflict. A steering damper seems like it would be a necessity, but for that price point, idk....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 5:32 pm

I've never experience headshake on my Hyper 821 so I can't justify a steering damper for bling factor.. however I haven't played with the fork height or anything from factory settings making the bike more prone to shake.

post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:23 am

Garage
I agree with zibbit, I also haven't had any problems with my Hyper 939 SP. When I first got it, it felt a bit weird and unstable as I was coming off a GSXR 600 which is a super stable bike but once you put on a few hundred miles you get used to it and it feels just fine. I also ride with recommended suspension settings though. I tried softening the suspension a bit to lower the height (since I'm 5'8"/~173cm), but I did not like the way it rode so I went back to stiffer settings and barely tipy-toeing when I'm stopped
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 7:24 pm

[QUOTE=Vtwinftw;6289873]Picking up my 939 next weekend, but have been already going thru the same conflict. A steering damper seems like it would be a necessity, but for that price point, idk....

I have a 939SP. I found the steering getting light and shaky at high speeds while accelerating. Having experienced scary head shake in the past I installed a steering damper just to be sure not to have that experience again. I will be doing track days. If not doing high speed riding I would not have bothered. A Cycle World editor who did a long term test of the SP felt the same; recommending a steering damper.
See my pic above.
I followed the info, in this thread, from sxlova07. So I bought a barely used Hyperpro for $150 on Ebay, used some new parts from the ducabike Ohlins install kit and parts from the hyperpro install kit linked by sxlova07. The mix of parts works well; as does the Hyperpro.
Vtwinftw likes this.

2016 Ducati 939 Hypermotard SP
2015 Hyperstrada. Wifes bike.

Last edited by todcp; Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:31 pm. Reason: added info
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:37 pm

[quote=todcp;6292593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwinftw View Post
Picking up my 939 next weekend, but have been already going thru the same conflict. A steering damper seems like it would be a necessity, but for that price point, idk....

I have a 939SP. I found the steering getting light and shaky at high speeds while accelerating. Having experienced scary head shake in the past I installed a steering damper just to be sure not to have that experience again. I will be doing track days. If not doing high speed riding I would not have bothered. A Cycle World editor who did a long term test of the SP felt the same; recommending a steering damper.
See my pic above.
I followed the info, in this thread, from sxlova07. So I bought a barely used Hyperpro for $150 on Ebay, used some new parts from the ducabike Ohlins install kit and parts from the hyperpro install kit linked by sxlova07. The mix of parts works well; as does the Hyperpro.

Awesome thanks!!

post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:07 am

Garage
Unhappy Changed my mind

I previously posted in this thread that I did not find a steering damper to be worth the investment (as it is a big one) but I've come to change my mind. Last week I was riding on the highway, perhaps faster then I should've been, and I suddenly had to slow down as I was approaching some traffic rather quickly. I applied both brakes pretty gently as I had time, but for whatever reason it sent me into a wobble. By the time I was able to get it back in control, what was plenty of time to brake, turned into barely having the time to slow down and avoid slamming into the back of a truck's trailer. This was quite scary, I always thought that this type of thing happens only if you're pushing the bike to its limits through a corner but I was wrong. My recommendation is that if you plan to ride this bike fast, get a damper. I'm waiting on one to arrive myself.

P.S.
Some of you would probably start schooling me that I shouldn't be speeding on public roads and that is true, but lets be honest, we all do it from time to time. I certainly learned my lesson though.
Vtwinftw and 49cc to 937cc like this.
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svet Angelov View Post
I previously posted in this thread that I did not find a steering damper to be worth the investment (as it is a big one) but I've come to change my mind. Last week I was riding on the highway, perhaps faster then I should've been, and I suddenly had to slow down as I was approaching some traffic rather quickly. I applied both brakes pretty gently as I had time, but for whatever reason it sent me into a wobble. By the time I was able to get it back in control, what was plenty of time to brake, turned into barely having the time to slow down and avoid slamming into the back of a truck's trailer. This was quite scary, I always thought that this type of thing happens only if you're pushing the bike to its limits through a corner but I was wrong. My recommendation is that if you plan to ride this bike fast, get a damper. I'm waiting on one to arrive myself.

P.S.

Some of you would probably start schooling me that I shouldn't be speeding on public roads and that is true, but lets be honest, we all do it from time to time. I certainly learned my lesson though.

This is my worry. I'm not trying to get head shake like that. Plan to invest in a steering damper kit as soon as possible

post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 4:07 pm

I definitely recommend it, especially if you ride on rippled and sun baked asphalt with a bunch of tar snakes, like I do. It was a noticeable improvement in stability, especially when hitting ripples when leaning. I copied the sxlova07 install and it worked out great.

Vtwinftw likes this.
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 8:41 pm

First track day with the sxlova07 install method. Zero issues with hard acceleration and light front end shaking on a track with bumpy areas. In fact wheelies coming off the corners were common and without any drama. Very pleased with this change.
AZBoy and Vtwinftw like this.

2016 Ducati 939 Hypermotard SP
2015 Hyperstrada. Wifes bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode