Evo sp ecu confusion - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:45 pm   #1 (permalink)

Evo sp ecu confusion

I decided to go with a custom exhaust but I'm really confused with what to do for the ecu I read that the power commander tunes from 5k rpm and up but all the ducati complains are below 4k, the ecu reflash isn't guaranteed to make it a open loop. I ordered the duc.ee but I read you can also reflash to eliminate the exhaust flapper and o2s. My question is what's the best option should I do both or just the Pcv? Correct me if I'm wrong. Whenever I read up on the ecus I get confused because the guys with the older models put in their 2cents.
Thanks this is my first duc and I'm just learning about them
Fm3miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 1:51 pm   #2 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

Have the ECU reflashed to remove the O2 sensors and exhaust valve making it open loop. Depending how the custom exhaust is made you might require a custom tune, at which point you could add a PCV and full map all RPM and throttle positions.
desmoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 3:01 pm   #3 (permalink)

I have a 2011 evo which is basically the same bike as you have. I to built my own exhaust removing the exhaust flapper in the process. I wanted to keep things simple so after my research I decided to get the duc.ee and the Bazzaz fuel management device. The duc.ee got rid of my flapper and the Bazzaz got rid of my O2's and allowed me to tune my bike from idle to redline. I also added the self mapping kit because I wanted to build and tweak my own maps as I make changes. I am not familiar with pcv but I see a lot of those guys do get their ecu's reflashed. I think both systems are good but for me the Bazzaz has kept things simple, cheaper and it does what it's supposed to do. Since you already ordered the duc.ee, you may want to look at the Bazzaz. A reflash would render your duc.ee useless. Good luck

Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Control
goin2leaveamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 3:54 pm   #4 (permalink)

I called Dynojet and they told me the o2 optimizer helps the lower rpm so I decided to go with it and the duc.ee, I think once I'm all set with the pipe I'll have fbf tune it.
I read about the bazzaz but when I googled tuners for it I didn't find much which kind of pushed me away.
I guess if I don't like it afterthe tune I'll get the ecu flashed.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 4:00 pm   #5 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fm3miata View Post
I called Dynojet and they told me the o2 optimizer helps the lower rpm so I decided to go with it and the duc.ee, I think once I'm all set with the pipe I'll have fbf tune it.
I read about the bazzaz but when I googled tuners for it I didn't find much which kind of pushed me away.
I guess if I don't like it afterthe tune I'll get the ecu flashed.
The optimizers don't allow you to map in the closed loop section still... they just manipulate the voltage going to the ECU from the O2 sensors to add a flat amount of fuel. Better than nothing usually, but still not ideal.

At $250 the flash should have been the first stop - not last... it is the cheapest and best option unless you truly need a custom map made. It also requires no extra parts, wiring or complexity. The optimizers and duc.ee mask the problem... the flash removes it by disabling those functions. Just something to think about for next time.
desmoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:15 am   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoworks View Post
Have the ECU reflashed to remove the O2 sensors and exhaust valve making it open loop. Depending how the custom exhaust is made you might require a custom tune, at which point you could add a PCV and full map all RPM and throttle positions.
This is correct !! Went down this path 2 months ago. Reflash is only way to full open loop system which is then tunable from 0-rev limiter ..... Good luck and happy spending
vb1100sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:28 am   #7 (permalink)

I see you live in NJ , I suggest sending ecu to Dave Lillard over at redline performance . $300 and ecu should be back in your hand 3 days after you ship it . The reflash will basically richen up the a/f mixture all the way through really improving the low end and more pull on top . These were the results on a 796 anyway . Just email Dave ! He's very good with email communication
. Usually responds within 30 min.
dave@redlinemotors.com

Last edited by vb1100sp; Apr 13th, 2012 at 12:34 am.
vb1100sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 8:56 am   #8 (permalink)

Thanks I figured I can get by like his for now and I can do the ecu reflash when I'm ready. I can always sell the duc.ee and I'll talk to Dave thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement