Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Tuning option and advice (from ducati shop) on my Hyper 796

15K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  dimitrinassis001 
#1 ·
So I called up the Ducati tuning shop in my area today and I was asking them about some advice about my bike and how to make it smoother and get some more power. I had told them I currently have the MWR drop in foam filter and termi pipes cat delete dp ecu. He first told me to take out my dp ecu and put in the stock siemens ECU. They will dyno and tune the stock ecu. He said he can get me 10 percent more horses on the low and mid range about 2 to 3 percent on the top range and make my hyper 796 run smooth as silk (for a twin). He also told me that velocity stacks or the MWR air box mod won't give my bike more then a couple of horses unless I had done cams and other engine internals. He explained that my motor does not get as much out of air box mods like the 1100 hyper would. Oh and the cost to dyno and tune my ECU would be around 600 bucks all in. That sounds like a lot to me (but then again you dont need a piggy back system) and this is the only legit Ducati performance shop that I know of that caters specifically to Ducati bikes. Any other informed opinions?

#6 ·
I recommend you give Dave "The Doctor" a call or email at RedlineMotors.com in Yorktown VA. Here's their contact link.

Redline Performance Motorsports, Inc - (757) 989-5000 ::

Dave will give you the straight poop on your bike AND flash the ECU with a dyno-tuned map for whatever it needs.

#9 · (Edited)
Dimitri. You're lucky you have access to a shop with a dyno. I don't have access to that here and the "remote" ECU reflash is the best option for me plus it's financially acceptable. Of course putting the bike on the dyno is the best solution for a really customized map but I'll be happy with a smooth engine at low rpm and half the power from having a re-map optimized for whatever upgrades I have.

With the amount of postings just on this forum itself with guys complaining of rough running Ducatis at low rpm I'm surprised no one including Ducati hasn't offered a plug-in solution that will eliminate it without having the bike sit on a dyno to remove the annoying close loop. IMHO I think Ducati should have removed that close loop in their DP ECU. That would have been awesome!

#10 ·
With the amount of postings just on this forum itself with guys complaining of rough running Ducatis at low rpm I'm surprised no one including Ducati hasn't offered a plug-in solution that will eliminate it without having the bike sit on a dyno to remove the annoying close loop. IMHO I think Ducati should have removed that close loop in their DP ECU. That would have been awesome!
There has been talk of people removing the closed loop altogether...but i'm pretty sure it cannot be done. If it has...i'd like to know how. As far as i know...all the Ducati ECU's nowdays come with a closed loop and there is no way of "removing" it and replacing it with open loop mapping.

#13 ·
I just got my ECU back from Motowheels and it is all open loop. The auto tune is doing its thing perfectly. I am dialing in the maps as we speak. A long ride; trying to get all the throttle positions with 30-60 secs in-between and a long road where you can go WOT a few times and you will see the map change. When you get back from the ride send the map to the PCV and repeat. Do this a few times and you will have the next best thing from a custom DYNO tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.