Tuning option and advice (from ducati shop) on my Hyper 796 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 8:56 pm   #1 (permalink)

Tuning option and advice (from ducati shop) on my Hyper 796

So I called up the Ducati tuning shop in my area today and I was asking them about some advice about my bike and how to make it smoother and get some more power. I had told them I currently have the MWR drop in foam filter and termi pipes cat delete dp ecu. He first told me to take out my dp ecu and put in the stock siemens ECU. They will dyno and tune the stock ecu. He said he can get me 10 percent more horses on the low and mid range about 2 to 3 percent on the top range and make my hyper 796 run smooth as silk (for a twin). He also told me that velocity stacks or the MWR air box mod won't give my bike more then a couple of horses unless I had done cams and other engine internals. He explained that my motor does not get as much out of air box mods like the 1100 hyper would. Oh and the cost to dyno and tune my ECU would be around 600 bucks all in. That sounds like a lot to me (but then again you dont need a piggy back system) and this is the only legit Ducati performance shop that I know of that caters specifically to Ducati bikes. Any other informed opinions?
dimitrinassis001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm   #2 (permalink)

Does anyone with a 796 have velocity stacks or the MWR top box mod and flashed ecu? Just wanna confirm to go all in or just enjoy my bike as is.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 12:58 am   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrinassis001 View Post
Does anyone with a 796 have velocity stacks or the MWR top box mod and flashed ecu? Just wanna confirm to go all in or just enjoy my bike as is.
Whatever you do, you definitly need to do something about its shity low end.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 1:16 am   #4 (permalink)

you would spend 500+ on a PCV and tune so that sounds like a deal.

2010 Hypermotard 1100evo
Re-flash, PCV, AutoTune, MWR Lid, LV Decat, Fresco Exhaust, Ohlins Steering dampener,

Exhaust
http://youtu.be/F7O6h4i9jFo

Awesomeness
http://youtu.be/QELv_MCBG3c
Akasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 8:51 am   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethern View Post
Whatever you do, you definitly need to do something about its shity low end.
re-flashing is supposed to take care of this "shitty low end". motowheels.com has a deal on the LV decat and get the ecu re-flashed for just 99$. about $350 in total.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 9:27 am   #6 (permalink)
Old Fast Guy

I recommend you give Dave "The Doctor" a call or email at RedlineMotors.com in Yorktown VA. Here's their contact link.

Redline Performance Motorsports, Inc - (757) 989-5000 ::

Dave will give you the straight poop on your bike AND flash the ECU with a dyno-tuned map for whatever it needs.

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Corse... 382lbs wet with 94whp/73wtq

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory... 430lbs wet with 181whp/83wtq
TOP_DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 10:52 am   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroooom View Post
re-flashing is supposed to take care of this "shitty low end". motowheels.com has a deal on the LV decat and get the ecu re-flashed for just 99$. about $350 in total.
I copied the below right off of Ducshops page and sums up what seems to be the info I have been getting from all my sources regarding a reflash

Sometimes fuel system tuning can be treated as a black art but it's more than just loading a map into your ecu, Microtec, Power Commander, etc. Experienced tuning is required.

One map doesn't fit all. Every cylinder requires its own custom fuel map since injector flow rates, cam timing, port shape, compression ratio, etc. will vary. Ducshop takes all these variables into account to build the fuel and ignition map to get the most out of your bike
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 11:06 am   #8 (permalink)
Old Fast Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrinassis001 View Post
I copied the below right off of Ducshops page and sums up what seems to be the info I have been getting from all my sources regarding a reflash

Sometimes fuel system tuning can be treated as a black art but it's more than just loading a map into your ecu, Microtec, Power Commander, etc. Experienced tuning is required.

One map doesn't fit all. Every cylinder requires its own custom fuel map since injector flow rates, cam timing, port shape, compression ratio, etc. will vary. Ducshop takes all these variables into account to build the fuel and ignition map to get the most out of your bike
Yep, all quoted is correct for a particular series of bike/engine.

However, a tune that has been developed on a given bike/combo will transfer well to another bike within that series, IF the baseline tune is done with that in mind. If you're tuning a given set of modifications for MAX power in a specific application, then a "custom" tune, done on the dyno with THAT particular bike is the best way to go.

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Corse... 382lbs wet with 94whp/73wtq

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory... 430lbs wet with 181whp/83wtq
TOP_DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 8:35 pm   #9 (permalink)

Dimitri. You're lucky you have access to a shop with a dyno. I don't have access to that here and the "remote" ECU reflash is the best option for me plus it's financially acceptable. Of course putting the bike on the dyno is the best solution for a really customized map but I'll be happy with a smooth engine at low rpm and half the power from having a re-map optimized for whatever upgrades I have.

With the amount of postings just on this forum itself with guys complaining of rough running Ducatis at low rpm I'm surprised no one including Ducati hasn't offered a plug-in solution that will eliminate it without having the bike sit on a dyno to remove the annoying close loop. IMHO I think Ducati should have removed that close loop in their DP ECU. That would have been awesome!

Last edited by vroooom; Jan 13th, 2012 at 8:41 pm.
vroooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 9:34 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroooom View Post
With the amount of postings just on this forum itself with guys complaining of rough running Ducatis at low rpm I'm surprised no one including Ducati hasn't offered a plug-in solution that will eliminate it without having the bike sit on a dyno to remove the annoying close loop. IMHO I think Ducati should have removed that close loop in their DP ECU. That would have been awesome!
There has been talk of people removing the closed loop altogether...but i'm pretty sure it cannot be done. If it has...i'd like to know how. As far as i know...all the Ducati ECU's nowdays come with a closed loop and there is no way of "removing" it and replacing it with open loop mapping.
Seven9Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement