http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 1:18 pm   #1 (permalink)

oil cooler guard

I am trying to decide between the Evotech and the Cox oil cooler guard for my Hyper, does anyone have an opinion on which one is better or worse and WHY?

They are around the same price and each have a little different look, and seem to attach at different points and protect different areas (like the Evotech covers the heat sink above the oil cooler). So I am not sure which to get

Thanks
2003 Honda CRF450R
DAllisonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 6:27 pm   #2 (permalink)

I run an evotech. I like it the only problem I've found with it is that the holes are just big enough to let little pebbles in and not out. Easy solution tho used metal bug screen and a combination of 2 sided tape and spray glue on the inside of the guard. Has held up for a season so far and is actually easier to clean due to less bug guts making it onto the cooler. Haven't even looket at the cox cooler guard so no opinion on it at all.

2010 Hyper 1100 Evo. "My daily Commuter" Stacks, Pods and Pre-filters, Steering Dampener, Rear ride height adjust,Traxxion Dynamis shock preload adjuster ring and bearing kit, Pro Taper bars, Lv De-Cat, Completely removed exh. flapper, Visi tek Servo Emulator, Matts Mods custom hi-flow mufflers, 60% lighter flywheel, lightened pressure plate, open clutch cover, PcV with Auto tune and Lcd, Bel 815i radar and laser detector, Hand warmers, Seat warmer, Flash to Pass garage door opener, Matts Mods Custom Seat, Custom Sewn gripper seat cover, tons of carbon bling and personal touches.

2002 Suzuki Rm250 too many mods to list! (frame, engine cases, transition internals, wheel hubs, and swing arm are the only factory components still on bike)

2002 Arctic Cat M8 151"x14"2.25" track, bar risers,Pro Taper bars, snow eliminator running boards, pipe and can

2008 KingQuad 450 Axi "Mini Jeep" Clutch kit, Cored out muffler, 27" ITP mud lights, fmf efi controler, Snorkels, front and rear winches

1998 Kx60 "Mini Sumo" +7" Matts Mods stretched swing arm, Big boy fork springs, Big boy rear shock, Pro Taper atv bars, Vforce 3 reeds, Matts Mods reed spacer, BBR u pipe intake and Uni filter, FMF fatty pipe and shorty silencer
poakone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:41 pm   #3 (permalink)

I like my Evotech. It not only protects the oil cooler but the voltage regulator as well. It makes cleaning both much easier, plus it looks good too!
flyinon2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 1:03 pm   #4 (permalink)

Was thinking of getting the evotech. Do you guys think its protection thats actually needed?
dimitrinassis001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 1:24 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrinassis001 View Post
Was thinking of getting the evotech. Do you guys think its protection thats actually needed?
YES!!! Need is relative, I'm sure there lots op people on here that have run for the life of their bikes without one, but look at an oil cooler that hasn't had a guard and look at one that has and you'll probably agree it's needed. The front tire throws alot of debris onto the cooler if you ride on less than new roads you will through rocks at your cooler from the road surface, and if you ride on brand new roads the amount of tar flicked by the front wheel is incredable. The guard in my mind is a must!

2010 Hyper 1100 Evo. "My daily Commuter" Stacks, Pods and Pre-filters, Steering Dampener, Rear ride height adjust,Traxxion Dynamis shock preload adjuster ring and bearing kit, Pro Taper bars, Lv De-Cat, Completely removed exh. flapper, Visi tek Servo Emulator, Matts Mods custom hi-flow mufflers, 60% lighter flywheel, lightened pressure plate, open clutch cover, PcV with Auto tune and Lcd, Bel 815i radar and laser detector, Hand warmers, Seat warmer, Flash to Pass garage door opener, Matts Mods Custom Seat, Custom Sewn gripper seat cover, tons of carbon bling and personal touches.

2002 Suzuki Rm250 too many mods to list! (frame, engine cases, transition internals, wheel hubs, and swing arm are the only factory components still on bike)

2002 Arctic Cat M8 151"x14"2.25" track, bar risers,Pro Taper bars, snow eliminator running boards, pipe and can

2008 KingQuad 450 Axi "Mini Jeep" Clutch kit, Cored out muffler, 27" ITP mud lights, fmf efi controler, Snorkels, front and rear winches

1998 Kx60 "Mini Sumo" +7" Matts Mods stretched swing arm, Big boy fork springs, Big boy rear shock, Pro Taper atv bars, Vforce 3 reeds, Matts Mods reed spacer, BBR u pipe intake and Uni filter, FMF fatty pipe and shorty silencer
poakone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 1:29 pm   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the info, looks like i will order the evotech one
2003 Honda CRF450R
DAllisonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 5:00 pm   #7 (permalink)

I have the Evotech on my Hyper and Multistrada. The finish has held up well and they fit perfectly.
2009 Vespa 250 GTS ie
2006 Aprilia SR70
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 4:52 pm   #8 (permalink)

that is pretty, but for $99, I'll take my chances. I've seen used oil coolers for about that much money.
...Bologna music, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, sounding like an aircooled 2V Ducati engine pumping out the music through a full and open exhaust system. Knees buckle, conversations cease, and time stands still when such a thing passes by. -stolen from a random post from an anonymous member on esportbike.com

08 Ducati 1100 standardHM
06 Yamaha R6V track bike
2010 110 cc Coolster (chinese CRF 50 knockoff-pitbike)
02 Suzuki TL1000-R RIP baby
freezer16801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 9:28 am   #9 (permalink)

What sort of price are you seeing for used motors and trannys?
2009 Vespa 250 GTS ie
2006 Aprilia SR70
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 10:54 am   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer16801 View Post
that is pretty, but for $99, I'll take my chances. I've seen used oil coolers for about that much money.
Wait, 99 bucks for a cover? You can just make them from chicken wire, will probably cost you less than $10
Drinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.