Ducatidiag, a must have for every HM owner! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 2:01 pm   #1 (permalink)

Ducatidiag, a must have for every HM owner!

Ever since I got my Hyper I noticed how the throttle had an on/off tendency. This made my bike very hard to ride compared to the silky smoothness of my 749's throttle. It was a bit weird since according to the previous owner my bike has a DP ecu(which after checking turns out to be true) and no more closed loop, so it should run fine? Well, it didn't.

To add to that I had the service wrench on my screen just because the service was carried out 50 miles before the wrench came on.

I called several dealers and they all asked between 40 and 100 euro's just to do that, they asked even more to adjust idle and fuel trim.

That's when I came across this:
Oh My!

For ~$20 I could do all that stuff myself, at just a fraction of the price. It was a bit of a hassle to get all the cables but it was all worth it. I started with resetting the TPS which was a bit out of calibration( was on 3,4 degrees and should be 3,2 +/- 0.1 degree). Then I went to a local workshop here who has a gas analyzer. I hooked it up and the fuel trim was way too lean. I was getting 1.20 lambda stock.

After a bit of fiddling I settled on a fuel trim of +7 which gave me a lambda of 0.93~0.95. Then adjusted the idle screws and the bike felt like a whole different bike. It has a bit more grunt now down low and has a pretty smooth throttle feel. Furthermore I reset the service wrench and read out the fault codes.

The gas analyzer measurement cost me 15 euro's, and the cables another 15 which is still at least 10 bucks cheaper than what the dealer would ask for a tps and service reset.

Just like VDST for a fraction of the price, and thanks to Gilly for pointing me to this
Drinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 1st, 2011, 6:06 pm   #2 (permalink)

As as wrote on the other forum, great that it's working!
How is the fuel consumption now? Did it went up after setting the fuel trim to +7?

|Modifications|
Termignoni 2 in 1 Full Exhaust System, Flowed Cylinder Heads by Biggelaar Performance, DP Race Cams, DP Race ECU (Reflashed by Biggelaar Performance for WASP Kit), Wasp Power Up Kit, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Biggelaar Performance Quiet Clutch modification, Lightweight flywheel (700 gram), DP Clutchplate, Carbon Clutchcover, DP Racing Seat, DP Oil Plug, Rizoma Grips, Rizoma Brake/Clutch Reservoirs, Rizoma Rear Blinkers, Painted Racing Stripes, DP Carbon Mudguard, HK Suspension Upgrade (Wilbers springs), Bitubo Steering Damper, STM Oil Breather, GiPro Gear Indicator, DP Clutch Slave, DesmoWorld Frame and Seat Plugs, 14t front sprocket, DP Carbon Tankcover, DP Carbon 2 in 1 Exhaust Panels, Carbon Rear Chainguard, Carbon Lower Chainguard, DP Carbon Heelguards
Abarth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 6:51 pm   #3 (permalink)

I have no idea, have yet to finish this tank of petrol. It has 115kms on it now and I usually go 120~130kms with a full tank until I hit the reserve.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 7:34 pm   #4 (permalink)
PKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarth View Post
How is the fuel consumption now? Did it went up after setting the fuel trim to +7?
Since you are only adjusting IDLE fuel trim, there should be no perceptible change in fuel consumption. Adjusting idle fuel trim adds or removes a small amount of fuel at idle (duh!) which does very little at higher RPM.
PKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm   #5 (permalink)
Blame the universe not the tank!

When I did the DucatiDiag Flash from stock map to the DP, I can just barely get 100 miles to a tank.

I should have taken some snap shots of the stock versus DP map, the low end fueling is the same, the mid range is perked up a little bit, top end looked untouched. This was using another piece of software that lets you load the stock or DP map and compare % of change between maps.

As you state, cleaning up the tuning on the stock setup shouldn't change much with overall fuel consumption, but it does make for a happier motor. What JP is doing is just too cool.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:42 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
When I did the DucatiDiag Flash from stock map to the DP, I can just barely get 100 miles to a tank.

I should have taken some snap shots of the stock versus DP map, the low end fueling is the same, the mid range is perked up a little bit, top end looked untouched. This was using another piece of software that lets you load the stock or DP map and compare % of change between maps.

As you state, cleaning up the tuning on the stock setup shouldn't change much with overall fuel consumption, but it does make for a happier motor. What JP is doing is just too cool.
Yup, basically, with this and the different front fork springs the bike is how Ducati should've made it in the first place, it feels perfect now. Fuel economy hasn't changed a lot and when pressing hard I get a consumption of 1:12~1:13 (l/km), and highway somewhere between 1:15~1:18, which is pretty impressive for such a thirsty bike. My RSV 1000R Factory did anywhere between 1:5 to 1:8 when riding at the same pace, really ridiculous fuel consumption.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 5:52 pm   #7 (permalink)

Nice find; going to read more up on this. Hopefully I will never need it though :P
kcasner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 1:29 pm   #8 (permalink)

Got a question for you guys using ducatidiag. If I have 2 ecu, and I want to swap between the 2 temporarily, do I need to register the software 2 times?
tkl999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 6:38 pm   #9 (permalink)

Yes, you need a license for both ECU's
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 6:48 am   #10 (permalink)

It does not work for HM796!!

My cable arrived today. When I opened the seat trying to do the dump, I found the diagnose port is 4 pin. The 3 pin cable can't fit. What kind of cable it is? Can it be purchased somewhere cheap?

The port is shown in yellow in my attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Ducatidiag, a must have for every HM owner!-duc4pin.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.