Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2009 "S" model vs. 2010 "SP" anyone ridden both?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  vduc 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to sell my Sport Classic and enter the world of Hypermotard. My local dealer has some deals on left over 2009 "S" models they bought from a dealer that was going out of business. I was there yesterday comparing them to the "SP" and I personally like the look/feel of the SP better. I haven't gotten hard numbers yet, but they are saying the 09 will be a killer deal and better value. Have any of you guys sampled both the "S" and "SP" and from a performance stance how do you feel they differ, if at all? I have long legs and do like how the "SP" feels taller under me. Also the forks look nicer (not sure if they really are or not).

#2 ·
Well, you can't go wrong with both of them although there are some differences. Apart from the blink-blink stuff and fork internals and ECU the SP is taller and you get the torque a few revs later compared to the 09. Myself, I prefer the 09 torque, the 09 height don't worry about it. I pushed my fork legs up to the limits into the triple tree clamps and adjusted the rear cross link. The handle bar height I adjusted with some nice Rizoma risers. Works for me (185cm). In your position: get the least cost option and but the rest of the money into parts.

#3 ·
mate for me it was a no brainer..the SP is lighter (but most importantly lighter in the motor) nice a snappy on the throttle....less weight over all and more grunt.....i am sure world wide ducati will do you a good price on the sp too...they did for me in oz..to spec an S to an sp will cost a bunch...and if you spend that on the sp also it will be even better again..its like basically any new model.. as we know to shed 7kg's and pick up some HP on these bikes is quite expensive..i posted a thread if you look with a dyno of mine stock and the pervious model same dyno at ducati melbourne...more power more torque less weight...when the next one is out no doubt it will be better again,

#5 ·
my bike but out 1hp more than the 1100s with a race ecu and full 2-1 termi..not sure what the system cost over there but here its like 4K ! so in theory its alot of coin to go the same as a SP..add the sytem to the sp lose more weight make more power again

there is alway something else with this bike / car stuff...but its a fun way to spend money....

#7 · (Edited)
Had them both. Preferred the '09 due to it being a bit lower, but that won't apply to you. I also preferred the fueling electronics of the older model, it ran so much smoother across the curve (Fatduc's weren't available for the SP while I owned it and didn't want to go the route of an aftermarket system). The forks were not all that great on either "S" version.

The value play is the '09 with a Termi (aftermarket) exhaust kit. What a slick bike that would be.

If you don't mind paying the additional monies (and being taller than me), the SP is a wonderful bike. Be forewarned about the stalling and fueling issues in stock form. :)

Take care and good luck with the hunt.

#8 ·
mine has never stalled, and runs very smooth...a few have mentioned isses in the USA with stalling? not sure but just make sure you take atleast 45 mins on a test ride and ride both.in and out of traffic if you can...then you'll know what to do

#10 ·
I bought the termi kit for $2100. You could have a better kit with stacks, ebay ECU, arrow collectors, and your slipon of choice for cheaper if you are patient enough to source the parts in good deals.

Don't worry about the ground clearance that others think are necessary. I ride A class on track days and have never touched pegs. Body position is very important on this bike. You need to hang off of it.

The price difference is important. What is the bottom line here?

Also, what forks does the SP have? That could be a deal breaker if they are showas

#13 ·
read any review, i feel ground cleanece is an issue (as have most journo's)...on the older bike....i hit the pegs constantly on the test ride at low speeds....i have only touched my SP once on the rhs on the road..was a hair pin knee's up against shrouds..boy it can lean over though!!! you even can flip a digit if you like to sports bikes trying to get there knee down as you fly up the inside, or outside any side...its a killer funtime bike

#15 ·
I had an 08 Hyper with 2-1 full Termi system sold it for a EVO EP. I've ridden a few "S" with and without Termi's. I love how the new motor spins up and feels. No stalling issues with mine. The new motor and looks of the EVO SP sealed the deal. The taller suspension is a negative for short me, comfort seat helped.

You can't go wrong with either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.