Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

man what the f*** more clutch issues.

989 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  KoiHoshi 
#1 ·
some of you may remember i ended up replacing a LOT of stuff in my clutch due to my issue with the needle bearings causing mass havoc on my clutch.

Since then everything has ran perfectly with no issues.

Today coming out of a corner I got on it, shifted gears, and letting out on the clutch there was resistance. I thought "What in the hell?" and thought "oh not this again" except I looked down and everything was fine!

I pushed it in again, and again... shifted gears and letting out had resistance. I looked down and one of the plates was STUCK outside the basket!!!!!

I get the toolkit out of the tail of my bike and disassemble everything and could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong. Oddly enough though... I can SHIFT the whole damn thing from pressure plate and the pack back and forth to the position where the plate was coming out. Essentially one of the plates spins when I push on the clutch and it hangs up outside the basket.

I noticed that the master cyl also spit fluid all over the place... I'm THINKING I have a slave cylinder failure, anyone else? I was able to get it home clutchless shifting it the whole way oh so carefully.

Perhaps something else? Seems like I shouldn't be able to shift anything back and forth, that made absolutely no sense to me....

FAWWWWWK i'm so mad right now. So tired of dealing with clutch issues. Sorry for the anger... just mad at the bike.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Ok. Tightened and torqued back down and am severely confused as there is a very small .002" gap between the piece that slides down and over the basket that the nut sits on and the basket itself.

Perhaps I did not use enough torque and it needs to go further?

(edit) rechecked. torque is right... something must not be lined up right.... brb.

#4 ·
To be sure something isn't right...You have a Haynes manual, right? It has an exploded view of how everything goes together. Double check it...Is your pressure plate keyed to the hob correctly? They don't go on any which way. there should be a 'dot' on the hub which aligns with a dot on the pressure plate. Or something like that. I did my clutch last summer and took note of it in the procedure...Lastly, are you 'torqueing' the nut, as in just cranking it down, or are you using a good torque wrench and tightening it to the factory specification?

Rick

#6 ·
I do not use loctite no, i got the same answer from another forum that I should be. I suppose I can do that.

However, yes I am speaking of the hub nut, apologies for any confusion since I said basket.

Essentially in order it's going ..... Hub nut/washer/housing for nut(that keys into hub)/hub/into basket.

I've got it keyed into the hole and it is sitting properly. I'm just baffled why there is a .002" clearance between the housing for the nut and the hub itself. You can actually move the hub back and forth this way within that clearance. It isn't much.... but it's enough to make me go "Hmmm that doesn't seem right...."

Torque wrench is a dead on awesome proto. Factory specification I have is 130 ft lbs.

#7 ·
Haynes and LT Snyder both recommend 136 ft. lbs., and neither mentions locktite. I'd still use red locktite on that nut (and I don't usually use locktite on most nuts/bolts). Sorry, can't help you with the .002" issue; maybe pictures would help. Isn't there a cush drive built into the hub? Could the .002" have to do with that?

#8 ·
Off the top of my head I would not remember I would have to take it apart (I will do that later) - fighting a bad headache right now hoping aleve will kick in so I can go fix it.

I have a feeling I must have dropped a washer somewhere. Only thing I can piece together is perhaps it was missing since last time and the spacing has allowed the nut to back off since no direct force would be applied except torque from where it screws on and not from said hub/washer.

#9 ·
Ok called Ducati mechanic - he said rest assured that tiny clearance is NORMAL and the basket should have that teeny tiny amount of play. Will still back the nut off, however, loctite, and torque back down.

#10 ·
Back on the road operating as intended. No fracking idea how that nut backed off. I had already torqued it so I'm going to take it for another spin to ensure I have it all lined up right then bring it back in, take the nut off and use a dab of loctite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.