Silent Clutch At Last - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Mechanical Tech Discussion > Hall of Wisdom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 6:05 am   #11 (permalink)

Don't Get Me Wrong

I think the dry clutch works fine and I know its great for racing
and even when the tabs baskets and hubs wear it still works well. My only problem was the noise I had a 900ss bevel and wasent too keen on its engine noise either , maybe Im just fussy but I prefer to hear a the induction roar and exaust note over a clutch rattle any day .

20k a year ? .. sorry I asumed every one did 30k a year ..
gordon5904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 4:49 pm   #12 (permalink)

To each his own.

I've done the complete opposite. THE LOUDER THE BETTER. CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK... Clutch in... CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLACK
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 1:43 pm   #13 (permalink)

Smile Silent clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon5904
:d After Replacing Pack And Basket Then Looking At A Mountain Of Exotic And Expensive Clutch Mods To Try And Quell The Clatter In My 907 I Tried The Two Extra Friction Plates Under Pack Mod ..

Instant Silence And Works Fine , Dropped Basket And Hub Off After 5000k To Check For Unusual Wear, Everything Looks Great ..

Bonus Is I Can Now Hear Other Mechanical Noises In Motor And Gearbox That Previously Were Impossible To Find ..
Brilliant mod, I've been sick of hearing people say "hey mister, which end does the cement come out of?"

I had installed a Barnett clutch pack previously and then a Barnett basket but it never really stayed quiet.

Now, the jangling clatter is still there when disengaged (which I like) but the nasty knocking is long gone. Shifts fine etc ; I don't forsee any problems but it's easy enough to rectify in any event. Top marks on this one.

"I have an inferiority complex...but it's not a very good one"
nortonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 5:23 pm   #14 (permalink)

Another variation / method of clutch noise-itis cure

Streuth, I have just discovered this post, it is a variation of an article I just put together on the topic, ie to stop the noisy rattle and extend the life heaps for all of about $50 - I have put my answer up on our local (Aussie) forum here: http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBo....php?topic=193

In essence I found using a Paso end plate is a technically better solution, but a critical part of the game is that, whatever you do, you need to deal with the square peg in round hole part of the problem.

This mod was originally done for me by the dealer, it was only after I got a few stalls after pitching forward (over probably 10,000km) that I pulled the thing to pieces and found out what was really going on. You can see photos of the stuff-up and the fix on the above site.

I swapped the clutch out to an STM Evoluzione 48T slipper to get the safety benefits, this was after around 50,000km on the Paso plate mod and I am sure that clutch has 20,000km or more left in it. Unfortunately this clutch rattles now! Although it works brilliantly in all other regards. Last weekend I had an idea how to make it shut up, which I had almost given up on the idea of having pulled it to pieces after about 1,000km specifically to see if I could get rid of the rattle - but like I said a new idea has formed..... (in essence to spring connect the rattly elements)
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 1:05 pm   #15 (permalink)
WAP

Individual Friction Plates

Great! Now the only problem is where are we supposed to get individual friction plates? My dealer only sells them by the full-set ($213 ouch). So it seems to me that the most economical option would be to get a set of Barnett plates from Desmo Times at ~$160, swap those in, and use two of the OEM friction plates for this mod.

Unless there's some gray market on individual duc friction plates out there that I don't know about. Anyone got two spares lying around?
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 1:13 pm   #16 (permalink)

Interesting. Actually, I find my open clutch mod too quiet compared to the others. I want mine to be louder. I guess with only a total of 3000 miles, it will get louder when I accummulate more miles.

2002 Ducati 900 Sport
Power Commander III
CF Remus Low Mount
Ducati Performance Air Filter and Lid
SM Kukri Pressure Plate, SM 5 Spoke Cover, & SM Black Spring Retainers
Sargent Seat Sport Skinz
TPO Crankcase Breather Filter
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:50 pm   #17 (permalink)

Tell you what mate... Look I'll do you a huge favour .. only coz I like you...

You send me your quiet clutch.. and I'll send you my LOUD clutch...

No need to thank me,.... It's the least I could do...

In accordance with the prophecy...

Mal

Talent, Ambition and Initiative

"Ergost yellicium mosticom finae speddicullus maximisan. Despitate ducati ergoni matchello"
Maximus-Speedicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:16 pm   #18 (permalink)

Herky Jerky

The biggest improvement I noticed after the Mod was improved driveability in town and the lack of power pulse/driveline lash. I put my stock "muffler" cover on because of the racket at @ 3000 rpm in town. After the mod I could return to my 2/3 ventilated carbon cover and not feel everyones stare at the bike that is out of oil. I've since done this mod to others machines and all were eternally thankful, including some neighbors who didn't appreciate proper warm ups.
'07 S4RS Pearl W/Red, Full DP Termi kit, 14/42 520 ERV3 w/AFAM Quick change carrier,Moto Wheels axle & wheel nuts, MBP Collets W/Degree'd Cams, Tail chop W/ Shortened Termi Cans, Barnett Basket W/Silent clutch mod, 2/3 Carbon Cover, Arrow Titanium damper,STM Frame plugs,PCIII
And of Course...More to come!
Tooljunkie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:47 pm   #19 (permalink)

Find it amusing that anyone who is so offended by the music of a dry clutch would purchase a motorcycle that housed said offensive item....
vanduc996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 3:25 am   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugatti View Post
To each his own.

I've done the complete opposite. THE LOUDER THE BETTER. CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK... Clutch in... CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLACK
Yep, I'm with you.
Louder the better it really gets 'other' motorcycle riders talking when they hear it. I love it.
2008 Ducati 1098S Tri Colore (Ares)
2003 Ducati 999 (Deimos)
2005 Ducati 749 Dark (Phobos)
2005 Cagiva X-Raptor 1000 (Rex)
2006 Cagiva Raptor 650 (Gina)
2001 BMW K1200LT (Merlot)
1999 Husqvarna TE 610E (Harry) - Sold

Love'm all!!
LIFE IS JUST GREAT - LIVE IT !!! - YOU DO ONLY GET ONE GO AT IT!!
Shalei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement