Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Rapid transit stack lt magnetic tank bag

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bruce19 
#1 ·
I just ordered one of these for my '05 SS1000DS and was wondering if anyone here had experience with the company or the bag itself. I have a small expandable Nelson-Rigg bag that I like a lot but Nelson-Rigg no longer makes it so a search for another bag commenced. The RT is a bit bigger and "stackable" so I'm hoping it will serve a multitude of purposes. Any feedback?

#2 ·
I just ordered the same bag myself. Every review I'd seen was positive until the one I read right after placing the order. The owner complained that after using it only once, for a 150 mile ride, it left black "material" on his red tank that required a lot of effort to clean off. I'm hoping it was some one-off fluke with the particular bag he got, because every other aspect of that model was exactly what I was looking for (although I think it would be better to change the positioning of the map and phone compartments). I've seen reviews from as far back as 2008, so you'd think they'd have any kinks worked out by now, or lack of demand would have killed production....

Review from 2008:
Rapid Transit Stack LT Magnetic Tankbag Review | Rider Magazine

Complaint thread:
Rapid Transit Stack Lt Magnetic Mount Tank Bag - Luggage - VFR Discussion

#4 ·
I don’t know where to begin. I really want to like the Rapid Transit Stacker tank bag. It looks well made and has tons of features. But, some of them are not well thought out. Where to start? The magnetic base has zipper “pockets” over the magnets but opening them still gives no room to put anything but a piece of paper in them. The base compartment has no side stiffeners and so collapses unless it is filled. The front of the base has a strap sewn in to secure it to the head tube in the event that the magnets fail. This is totally unnecessary (I have been using magnetic tank bags for over 20 yrs. and have never had, seen or heard of a failure.) It cannot be removed and, if used, makes it more difficult to remove the bag to fuel the bike. If not used it cannot be detached and flaps around. Ridiculous. A useless “feature” that no one needs. In short a “solution” to a problem that doesn’t exist and creates it's own problems. The main compartment has side zippers for “pockets” that, once again, do not expand and lie tightly flat to the main bag so are useless for storing anything but pieces of paper. The main compartment for the top bag can only be opened by employing two separate zipper systems. This is just silly. The rain cover is packed in a compartment within the bag, access to which is so well hidden that it took me 10 minutes to find it. Which raises another point. There was no manufacturers product booklet/owner’s manual which would explain the many features or location of things like the rain cover. In fact, a note saying that “instructions for use” could be found on the Rapid Transit website was all there was. Seriously? I have to go to a website to get the info I need to use the bag? And, finally, the map pockets and cell phone pocket. The base bag has a large and useful map pocket unless of course you are planning to tour. Which is of course when most people use a map. Touring requires using the bottom and top bags to get adequate storage space. And using the top bag means covering the bottom map pocket. In it’s place is a tiny map pocket on the top bag which is at the front of the bag angled away from the rider and further obscured by the cell phone pocket located on the top of the bag closest to the rider. It manages to become a visual obstacle between rider and aforementioned tiny map pocket. Good grief…who designs these things. In this case I’m assuming it’s someone who has never used a tank bag. Too bad it seemed so promising. This bag is going back to Kneedraggers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.