Cultural Differences (or The Thing About Australians) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2016, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Cultural Differences (or The Thing About Australians)

I do understand this. I've had several close Ozzy friends, I've got a brother-in-law from South Africa, and I've been there a few times. I DO know how these guys talk. I DO know that it is strictly cultural. It comes up once in a while on the forum here. So what is the breakdown percentage of fans - including the fans at the race.

Aussie and Pom adult Males
Western and European Adult Males
Women
Kids
Sponsors

Aussie and Pom males probably make up 20% of the total market? (of course I 'm just guessing here)

That means that 80% of the people don't want to hear Cal's culture/bull-shit on national TV - or Jacks. You want to double it? 60-40? So what.

Its just about knowing who you are talking to and who is paying the bills. Yes, you always have the right to be a jack-ass, but that just makes it harder on everyone else.

Now the THING IS, that is IS cultural, and it is only cultural. I've seen it on a broader scale where the Australians are voted as one of the world's favorite people. Once you get immersed in it, and you realize that you are not going to be attacked, because you did not pass the salt fast enough, and now your brother-in-law is saying fuck you mate, you didn't hear me say, "pass the salt", and this is happening at Sunday dinner... I'm exaggerating a bit, but after it happens enough times you start to realize your life was not in danger because you didn't pass the salt fast enough, well, then you get used to it and its all fine. That does not mean when it hits you out of the blue, like on .MS here or in real life that it doesn't catch your attention or even give you a little shock.

Its like this:

1. Mild irritation, the american doesn't notice. The Ozzy notices.
2. Medium irritation, the american notices. The Ozzy says something about it, and probably challenges the offender.
3. Someone rude or actually irritating. The American notices and looks at the offender - The Ozzy says, "Fuck you mate.
4. Something slightly destructive happens. Some of the americans look overs. - The Ozzy says, "Hey, Fuck you."
5. Something more destructive happens. Some of the american move out of the way and some of them look at the problem. The Ozzies get their friends in a group to say, fuck you.
6. Something really destructive happens. The american women move the kids away, and some of the men wonder if they will have to do something. The Ozzz and their friends are all yelling Fuck you, you guys better get the hell outta here, and they are starting to hope there will be a fight.

The american men don't want to get in a fight, because if their wives get upset it will take them a week to calm down and no one will get any sex for a week.

7. A fight breaks out. The americans watch, the Ozzy's hope they will accidentally get pushed, so they have a reason to get in the fight. All the while, telling both of the assailants they are Pussy's and that after they are bleeding on the ground their wives will be going home with them.

8. A little old lady gets pushed by one of the brawlers, and the american men finally step in the way of the assailants to stop the fight - before someone gets hurt. They are slightly disappointed, but realize its for the best if they want sex this week. In Australia, the little old lady pulls a club out of her purse and starts swinging. Swearing like a sailor, and one of the Aussie men realizes that the little old lady is their aunt Genie. The interesting thing is that Aunt Genie is holding her own.

The point is the Americans are slow to go up the anger/action scale, while the Aus/Poms/SA's are fast. American's don't bother saying the word, "fuck", until about level 10, and even then only if the kids aren't around. If the Australians don't get to swear at somebody by level 2, well, they would get extremely frustrated, and immediately come to the racing forum at .MS and start taking it out on the rest of us. Telling us the what's what. If you just let them swear at you for a little while, it all goes back to rights.

There is no right or wrong here, just different cultures. I actually wish the Americans we a little quicker to anger and raise the stick, and use colorful language. lol.

As always, everything I just said is true and verifiable. (okay, maybe not.)

Last edited by Chuckracer; Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 12:21 am

Yeah, the Americans shoot to kill when someone doesn't hold the door open for their old lady. Makes sense.

1968 Kawasaki A1SS
1970 Kawasaki A7
1971 Kawasaki A1 (basket case)
1988 Gilera Saturno 500 x 2
2004 ST4s ABS (yeller)
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 12:40 am

You've got your work cut out for you Chucky. I hope this doesn't turn into a politics or race thread. Us Ozzies have some rather, how shall I say, "unique" expressions that can be taken the wrong way.
Here's one to warm yuz up.
http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article...ian-patriotism
flynbulldog and Harvey like this.

Last edited by xracer; Aug 31st, 2016 at 12:50 am.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 4:35 am

Garage
I hadn't read that SBS thing, pissed myself. Nice one mate.

proheli sorry I couldn't read all your post it was a bit long.

899 - RaceTech springs front & Ohlins spring rear - 1199 base shock and flat link - DB Holders subframe - 848evo foot pegs - Lithium battery - OZ Racing wheels - 1299 stock full exhaust - RapidBike Evo
959 - Track project
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 7:34 am

Garage
Last edited by Chuckracer

Craig
xracer likes this.

2004 998S FE

2003 ST4S
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 11:16 am
Nobody

Garage
Fuck you, Craig.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Wow, I'm a celebrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Duc View Post
I hadn't read that SBS thing, pissed myself. Nice one mate.

proheli sorry I couldn't read all your post it was a bit long.
No problem. I can understand people not wanting to read the whole thing. I actually type very fast, and if you don't make me use good grammar, I knock out something like that in 10 minutes, so its fun.

The gist of it is that we should build a wall around all of Australia and seal it like a time capsule. Then we can speculate for 50 years what will come out there when we open it back up. Haha
Chuckracer likes this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 1:19 pm

Garage
Quote:
we should build a wall around all of Australia and seal it like a time capsule.
Hey..........fuck you mate....

2000 996
The best views are seen from within a motorcycle helmet
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by proheli View Post
Wow, I'm a celebrity.

No problem. I can understand people not wanting to read the whole thing. I actually type very fast, and if you don't make me use good grammar, I knock out something like that in 10 minutes, so its fun.

The gist of it is that we should build a wall around all of Australia and seal it like a time capsule. Then we can speculate for 50 years what will come out there when we open it back up. Haha
Fuck me. Give me some credit for asking it to become a sticky.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 2:44 pm

Come on Jonny ya slack cunt, join in.
johnnie27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode