I do understand this. I've had several close Ozzy friends, I've got a brother-in-law from South Africa, and I've been there a few times. I DO know how these guys talk. I DO know that it is strictly cultural. It comes up once in a while on the forum here. So what is the breakdown percentage of fans - including the fans at the race.
Aussie and Pom adult Males
Western and European Adult Males
Aussie and Pom males probably make up 20% of the total market? (of course I 'm just guessing here)
That means that 80% of the people don't want to hear Cal's culture/bull-shit on national TV - or Jacks. You want to double it? 60-40? So what.
Its just about knowing who you are talking to and who is paying the bills. Yes, you always have the right to be a jack-ass, but that just makes it harder on everyone else.
Now the THING IS, that is IS cultural, and it is only cultural. I've seen it on a broader scale where the Australians are voted as one of the world's favorite people. Once you get immersed in it, and you realize that you are not going to be attacked, because you did not pass the salt fast enough, and now your brother-in-law is saying fuck you mate, you didn't hear me say, "pass the salt", and this is happening at Sunday dinner... I'm exaggerating a bit, but after it happens enough times you start to realize your life was not in danger because you didn't pass the salt fast enough, well, then you get used to it and its all fine. That does not mean when it hits you out of the blue, like on .MS here or in real life that it doesn't catch your attention or even give you a little shock.
Its like this:
1. Mild irritation, the american doesn't notice. The Ozzy notices.
2. Medium irritation, the american notices. The Ozzy says something about it, and probably challenges the offender.
3. Someone rude or actually irritating. The American notices and looks at the offender - The Ozzy says, "Fuck you mate.
4. Something slightly destructive happens. Some of the americans look overs. - The Ozzy says, "Hey, Fuck you."
5. Something more destructive happens. Some of the american move out of the way and some of them look at the problem. The Ozzies get their friends in a group to say, fuck you.
6. Something really destructive happens. The american women move the kids away, and some of the men wonder if they will have to do something. The Ozzz and their friends are all yelling Fuck you, you guys better get the hell outta here, and they are starting to hope there will be a fight.
The american men don't want to get in a fight, because if their wives get upset it will take them a week to calm down and no one will get any sex for a week.
7. A fight breaks out. The americans watch, the Ozzy's hope they will accidentally get pushed, so they have a reason to get in the fight. All the while, telling both of the assailants they are Pussy's and that after they are bleeding on the ground their wives will be going home with them.
8. A little old lady gets pushed by one of the brawlers, and the american men finally step in the way of the assailants to stop the fight - before someone gets hurt. They are slightly disappointed, but realize its for the best if they want sex this week. In Australia, the little old lady pulls a club out of her purse and starts swinging. Swearing like a sailor, and one of the Aussie men realizes that the little old lady is their aunt Genie. The interesting thing is that Aunt Genie is holding her own.
The point is the Americans are slow to go up the anger/action scale, while the Aus/Poms/SA's are fast. American's don't bother saying the word, "fuck", until about level 10, and even then only if the kids aren't around. If the Australians don't get to swear at somebody by level 2, well, they would get extremely frustrated, and immediately come to the racing forum at .MS and start taking it out on the rest of us. Telling us the what's what. If you just let them swear at you for a little while, it all goes back to rights.
There is no right or wrong here, just different cultures. I actually wish the Americans we a little quicker to anger and raise the stick, and use colorful language. lol.
As always, everything I just said is true and verifiable. (okay, maybe not.)