Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Rossi

85K views 939 replies 96 participants last post by  dadridesagain 
#1 ·
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Valentino Rossi is not physically aging?

It isn’t even as though he doesn’t look any older then he did years ago but that he actually seems to be reversing the aging process and looks almost younger then he did.

It could be my computer and the video stream.

Something strange is going on with Vale.

Dan

#9 · (Edited)
He's multimillionaire, he just built 2 race tracks, also a pizzeria and surrounded by family and friends, how can it get any better than that?
And let's not forget the vino, that makes everything stress free!
(Here he is racing his father Graziano on one of them)

#10 ·
Personality does play a significant part in the aging process.

It is difficult for many hugely successful and famous people to maintain the same personality as they had when they were young and unknown.

A wall of protection and distance is what many feel they must have to keep their sanity not to mention their safety from the public.

This guy seems to have avoided most of the pitfalls of "normal" fame and success.

I would not be able to go down this road in the same way he has.

If I were him, unfortunately I would look closer to a hundred then the age this guy looks like.

Dan

#15 · (Edited)
Hmmm, lets see. He makes tens of millions a year, loves his job, does awesome stuff in his spare time, has millions of adoring fans, has a great relationship with his family, has a group of close knit friends, has a freaking racetrack, and he bangs top shelf pu$$y. If that doesn't keep you looking young and healthy I don't know what does.

#16 ·
Matt

You make an excellent and stunning point!

However you have neglected a small fact that another celebrity who is way, way, way, beyond the Valentino Rossi level of celebrityhood that our tiny beloved rider is and has not fared quite as well.

Keith Richards!

So.....they do not all escape the aging process due to the girls.

Dan

P.S.

The photos were great, Matt.

#26 ·
Seriously, is he really in anybody's way? The man is still the #1 draw at the GP's, more fans & sponsors come to Moto GP to see him than for anyone else. Do you really want to chase that away? As for his performance, he is still producing a lot of action. As for not winning all the time, there is a lot going on with the rules that penalise rider size these days. People & fans need to step back from time to time to get a larger view of all the variables. I don't mean to flame "anybody" but too many trash others with there emotions rather than knowledge, & some flat out expose them selves by taking it too far.

Jerry
04 ST4s

#24 ·
All things considered, I still think that Rossi is doing a good job. I am a fan of his, and have been for a very long time.
Wishing that Biaggi would have stayed in 250's one more year back in the day to the two go head to head..

It is inevitable.. That one will loose a step or two with age...
Considering the incident with Simo, RIP #58, I still think that it is cool to see Rossi out there giving it a go.

I do not think that there are many out there that truthfully think Rossi has a shot at beating the little Spanish 3 up front.
As I do not...
But I still enjoy seeing him out there, giving it a shot..

I just wish that there were 3-4 Factory bikes on the factory squads... More chances for others to have a shot on the top bike..
And less thoughts about Rossi having to quit to make room.

I would rather still see Rossi giving it a shot as long as he enjoys it, and at the same time? Others have a shot at a Factory seat as well.
His charisma, smile, and passion will be hard to replace...

Most guys retire from serious injury.. And I am thankful to see riders like Rossi still on the grid, having fun and doing well.

See how the final race goes..

#25 ·
All things considered, I still think that Rossi is doing a good job...I do not think that there are many out there that truthfully think Rossi has a shot at beating the little Spanish 3 up front.
As I do not...
But I still enjoy seeing him out there, giving it a shot..
To your point, Rossi is at least finishing right behind the Spanish 3 on a consistent basis rather than down the order with Nicky and Dovi. The guy still has fight left in him. It would be sad, however, to see him running with the Ducati's on a factory ride. At that point it's time to throw in the towel...

#33 ·
Rossi is still quite good but that reckless fire that is required to push someone to run up front seems to be gone.

He brings a lot to the sport and the sport loves him for that but those flames of youthful desire have been disinguished by crashes, money and easy tail.

I dare call it complacency as I am sure he still wants to win but I don't believe he wants to work for it like he did as a kid.

Can't say I can blame him but I doubt anyone would argue that Marquez is hungry to acquire the richness, fame and most of all - prove to the world that his is the best at present and wants to have a career equal to that of Rossi.

Rossi has it all, what more does he really need? I would love to see him take a first, and gracefully bow out. I just don't see another championship in him, even if we was on a Honda. Like Hinault, he is getting Lemonded and needs to go away like all the other greats have been forced to do.

Move on to the next chapter.

#34 ·
I find it hard to think that his glory days are over. He just spent two years banging his head against a very difficult wall. This year has been a relearning year for him. A bike rides completely different from what he was on the last two years and something that has been tailored for Lorenzo over that same period of time.

Yes he has probably lost some of his youthful enthusiasm, but a champion will always want to be on that top step.

#35 ·
I really don't think there is anyone who doubts Rossi's contribution to the sport. Yes, the sport will be poorer (figuratively and literally) with his absence but, was that the original intent of the discussion? While some are fighting to protect his reputation (like he really needs US to do that for him) by restating what we know to be true--he brings in tremendous resources, he is a living legend, he has fight left in him, etc.--question still stands. Do we want him, or any other Champion for that matter, to continue beyond the point of performance that made them Champion in the first place?

#36 ·
This had to be beyond difficult for Rossi to sit down with this guy and "fire" him.

There is no other way to say it.

But Rossi is desperate to get in maybe one more year with a better shot at his legacy.

Still!

"Like a father" to me, Vale said.

Maybe Jeremy was the class act in this and brought the suggestion up to let his "kid" have an easier way to act on this?

To me this is a major MotoGP story.

Dan

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/...ace?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

#39 ·
I am a die hard Rossi fan and thinks he really doesnt have anything to prove, but this move of dumping Burgess seems a little desperate. I do not know the inner workings of the teams or pretend to know but this is the feeling I get from this announcement.

Personally, I would love to see Rossi on a factory Yamaha in WSBK, teamed with Spies.

#40 ·
That doesn't bode well for VR's chances next year. Who knows though, maybe a fresh set of eyes on the situation? Still Burgess is a proven winner, I think he'll be missed.

#42 ·
Bingo.

Besides, with all the electronics nowdays bike setup isn't what it used to be. IMO less responsibility falls on the shoulders of the crew chief now. Even Houseworth was able to do a good job for Spies as a rookie GP crew chief.

#44 ·
Valentino Rossi to split from crew chief Jerry Burgess

Valentino Rossi's 14-year partnership with legendary crew chief Jerry Burgess is to end at this weekend's Valencia MotoGP season finale.

Burgess is the most successful crew chief in motorcycle grand prix history and has been at Rossi's side since his 2000 premier-class debut.

But Rossi has decided that change is needed for 2014 - the final year of his existing Yamaha contract - and confirmed at Valencia on Thursday that the 60-year-old Australian will not be in his corner next season.

"I think that next year Jeremy will not be my chief mechanic," said Rossi. "It was a very difficult decision for me because I have a great history with Jeremy. He is not just my chief mechanic, he is like a part of the family. My 'father' for racing.

"But I decide for next year I need to change something to try to find new motivation and a new boost - to improve my level, my speed. I think that this is our last race together with Jerry, yes."

Burgess has won world titles with Rossi (7), Mick Doohan (5) and Wayne Gardner (1) and also worked with the likes of Randy Mamola, Ron Haslam and Freddie Spencer.

After starting his grand prix carer with Suzuki, Burgess had been a Honda employee for 21 years by the time he - alongside mechanics Bernard Anciau, Alex Briggs and Gary Coleman - made the high-risk move with Rossi to Yamaha for 2004.

Together Rossi, Burgess and Yamaha pulled off one of the biggest upsets in MotoGP, turning a bike that had claimed just one podium the previous season into Yamaha's first riders' title since 1992. Rossi went on to win the MotoGP crown from 2001-2005, then again in 2008 and 2009.

The Italian broke his leg during 2010 while his next team change, to Ducati in 2011, was to prove 'painful' for different reasons. Rossi took just three podiums in two years - the Desmosedici's handling problems remaining unresolved to this day - before cutting his loses for a race-winning return, accompanied by Burgess and his mechanics, to Yamaha in 2013.

Although rarely a challenge for team-mate and reigning champion Jorge Lorenzo, Rossi has claimed six podiums and will finish fourth in the standings regardless of this result in Sunday's Valencia race.

"I'm quite satisfied but not fully satisfied," said Rossi of 2013. "I have to try to be stronger and faster. The target is to try to fight with the top three. This season it happens sometimes but not enough. We have to continue to work. But we have had some very good races, some podiums and especially one victory."

Rossi has only started two premier-class grands prix without Burgess - both in 2011 - when Burgess returned to Australia to support his sick wife.

Source: Valencia MotoGP: Valentino Rossi to split from crew chief Jerry Burgess | Page 1 | MotoGP News | Nov 2013 | Crash.Net

#46 ·
I hear ya.

On the one hand Rossi wants to win and with his current chief (who he loves like his own father) has not been able to do what it takes after all these long years to make that happen no matter how hard he tried.

So he's going to try another crew chief and see if maybe that improves the dilemma.

And on the other hand:

He just wants Jerry to spend some more time with the family.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.