Tank spreading in Europe / Germany - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolagent View Post
But beer makes lot of bodies swell… especially around the waistline
I know, you will not hear me complaining!

Ducati sportclassic Biposto 2007, termi's, dp ecu and airfilter, hyperpro forks and a new tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyvito View Post
So these guys run 100k miles and tear the engine down finding it nice and clean. No mention of the rubber o-rings or plastic parts on the car. All I know is that I ran only 4000 miles on my bike before E-10 destroyed my gas tank. Now in the US our government is going to E-15 but only for vehicles 2007 or newer. How is that going to work at the pump?

I'd be in favor of a selector button that gave me the choice of E-Zero at a higher price. Let the great masses of uninformed save some pennies per gallon in exchange for hundreds of dollars in repairs later.

What a scam. And if you say I'm against saving the planet, bite me. It's arrogant to think we can save or destroy it by turning corn into crappy fuel.

This commercial brought to you by the Ethanol Cartel of America....

Of course the other benefit is that ethanol competes with corn used for feed and food stuffs, so we now pay more for food -- aren't you excited? We're paying for "premium" food. What was once a staple is now Bling Bling Corn Flakes!!!

Brought to you by the United States Congress and the Office of the President,
wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Ethanol Cartel of America.
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 7:52 pm

In almost every pro-ethanol argument I've read, the statement, "Ethanol will not change engine performance." is made. Guess gas tanks don't come under engine performance.

When I was fast,
motorcycles were slow.
Now motorcycles are fast,
and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle.
Unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
- Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966

Cafe racers are built,
not bought.

The older I get,
the faster I was.

post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2010, 2:34 pm

the ducati street fighter is having the same problem with the tank

Ramiro
Ducati Sport 1000

post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2010, 2:36 am

Wow! I thought ducati would have sorted this by now, especially since they engaged the ex- Audi quality control chief to sort out reliability issues, whose stated objective is: 'Make Ducati the most reliable European motorcycle'.
post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirotorrese View Post
the ducati street fighter is having the same problem with the tank
Interesting to read this…

SF tank expansion poll

I did some research with the help of a big company that is specialized on research and manufacturing of technical plastic goods for industry applications…

PA6 that is used for roto molded plastic tanks is definitely not affected by ethanol or ethyl alcohol or gasoline…

Lots of companies like BMW are also using this material for years and have good experience…

This material even meets the high US standard related to storage of fuel in vehicles and the hydro-carbon emission standard…

Polyamide 6 grades are claimed to meet new gas-permeation rules: manufacturers of gas-powered vehicles and power tools are under pressure to develop fuel-delivery systems and even portable fuel containers that meet stringent federal and state hydroca

I don't know where these deformations result from, but i doubt that they derive from the tank material itself…

2007 SC Biposto
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Class Action Lawsuit

Would this qualify for class action lawsuit against Ducati ? Shouldn't they come up with some kind of permanent solution and not just keep replacing bad tanks with bad tanks waiting for the warranty to go out.

This is bad.

07 GT1000
Givi Flyscreen/Parabelum Windshield
Termignoni Slip-On
Speedymoto Frame Sliders
14/41T Sprocket
Vapor Canister Fall Off
Marchesini 5 spoke wheels w/4 pot Brembo
Rizoma Mirrors
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego View Post
Would this qualify for class action lawsuit against Ducati?
We have talked about this before and apparently the answer is "no". So far nobody has been hurt and nobody is out any money because Ducati is giving new tanks to people who ask. If we try to trade/sell our bikes and can prove that we somehow suffer a loss because of the tank issues then maybe we would have a class action lawsuit . . . but it would be very hard to prove. If a fuel tank falls off and causes an injury or death . . . or if a leaking tank caused a house fire . . . then maybe the government would get involved.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:26 am

If they ever were to sue someone (class action), I say go to the source, Acerbis as there is an even wider base of complaints related to their product.

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s
post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 9:57 am

I believe that two factors come in to play in the problem of tank spreading. The fuel softens the plastic, and it's the amount and the weight of the fuel that causes the actual deformation.

A gallon of gas weighs (IIRC) about 6.5 lbs, so 3.3 gallons would weigh about 21.5 lbs. So, most bikes will sit fully fueled when parked with the fuel softening the tank's plastic. Could the weight of the tank is then be partially to blame for pulling it out of shape?

When the problem with tank spreading first came to light, I decided to test the theory above, with admittedly a small population sample: my GT. All it took was a small change in habit patterns.

My bike went into winter storage at the end of last year (as it does each year) with the fuel low light on. It sat for months with a nearly empty tank. I also gas up at the beginning of a ride, not after, so the bike is always parked with the tank nearly empty.

I'm not stopping for gas any more often than I did. Our group rides usually start at a gas station anyway.

Even if my weight theory is all wet, there's still less fuel in the tank when the bike is parked to react with the plastic of the tank.

My 2007 GT has no tank deformation; the tank is still tight in the mounts. Proof? Hardly, but you decide.

2007 Red Ducati GT1000
2003 Lucifer Orange Triumph Bonneville T-100

Photo: The GT at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode